Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I4, 6ht Gen, Auto + S/C???

Old 01-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Dozorca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I4, 6ht Gen, Auto + S/C???

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this came up 1000000 times before but I just had to ask.
If there was a thread b4 please link me.

4cyl, 6th gen, auto is my car. (don't ask why, I had to make that choice.)

I know that turbo is what people recommend, but I don't really want the TOP END power. I want power from 1000rpm when I drive around the city.

Thats where my question comes in.

* Will my automatic tranny take a 6-9psi S/C boost?
* How much?
* Reliable?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:22 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

hm.........i never was aware about a supercharger for an Accord I4. If you wanted low end power, shoulda gone with V6. I4s are basically top end power producers. (except accords with them low ass redline) but, sure 6-9 lbs are very safe for any application since boost is very low. Since its safe, it will also be reliable. You mite need a tranny cooler tho...... and as far as prices go, i never even knew that there was a supercharger for i4 accords, so i dont have a clue on that.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:27 PM
Dozorca

Default re...

Actually, I'm not sure if there is a S/C for a I4, I was hoping that there would be.

I know that I should have gotten a V6, but as I said, the situation dictated my choice.

Thanks for reply.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:01 PM
98AccordEX
Banned

there is not a supercharger out for the i4 and dont count on one coming out for it. there was a guy that custom fit one on. all i know is that he had a lot of custom stuff done. like cutting away the firewall which is too much work than its worth. it can be done but in my opinion its pointless. you could always go with a turbo. i am making 221hp/238ft/lbs on 10lbs of boost on a stock F23. it holds its own with a lot of cars. especially for a little 4banger family car. i would also like some low end power. but from 4500 in first it just gets up and goes. if you cant wait the .01 seconds to get there then i cant help you. there is some turbo lag. but it will also put you in your seat all the way to 130
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

damn 98accordex..........u make it sound so damn tempting. I always think about ur car cause i respect the boost part of your car so much....its like no other accord, and damn......after 4500, gets up and goin..........thats so damn makin me jealous not to mention that "WWWPSH~!!!!!!!" sound after you've made a grin on your face with that thrust.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:47 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

oh yea, and what turbo set up are you running again? and this is on completely stock internals with no engine mods whatsoever? i never knew that stock internals can take 10 psi. What else did you have to replace? your axles maybe? and how has reliability been for your turbo set up? engine must take a lotta stress rite? how long have you had the turbo for? how many miles are on your car right now? is maintaining a turbo a *****? what do u do to maintain the turbo anyways? im thinkin of Fmax kit. What are your feedbacks on that? would u recommend it? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:21 AM
98AccordEX
Banned

good questions. i am running an FMAX kit with Tial wastegate and Greddy Type-S bov. completely stock internals. the only things i have other than the turbo are ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, VAFC, some cheap ass manual boost controller, and custom 2.5" exhaust. still have the stock axles. the only time the turbo has left me sit was when i had the fuel line burst on me. and it had nothing to do with the quality of the kit. it was a stupid mistake on my part. for the extra fuel injectors there is fuel line tapped into the existing fuel line and it runs to the secondary injectors that FMAX gives you. well i used just regular fuel line for it when i should have been using fuel injection line. i never realized there was a difference and it put too much pressure on the fuel line and blew it up. i have had my turbo since April of last year. so about 9-10 months. i ran 6lbs untuned from April til November. then i went to the dyno and turned it up to 10lbs and tuned it. it really is that much of a pain to maintain it. you just have to change your oil more often. i change mine about every 1500-2000 miles. and you must use synthetic which is about $25 a case of 6 as opposed to $12 a case of 12. its a good idea to run premium fuel. i've run 93 octane everytime since my turbo was put on. which is about another 20cents a gallon more than the low end fuel. then i change my spark plugs pretty often. some people like to use Iridium and pay like $50 each time. i just use NGK copper which are like $8 a set. they work perfectly fine and i liked them better than the set of Denso Iridium that i had. i have almost 99,000 miles on my car. still runs good. i just got a compression tester so one of these days i'll check it to make sure its still runnin without any internal damage. yes i would recommend the FMAX kit over any kit out there. its a very nice kit. manifold is nice. piping is nice. a lot of people dont like the secondary injectors supplied but i like the way it works. it works well with running lower boost. like i would say up to 12lbs its fine. if you plan on running any higher you could always just get the holes welded shut and run larger injectors with a fuel pump. ok i'm done with my book now. if i missed anything or if you have any other questions just ask
Old 02-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Dozorca

How much for the kit? Could you provide some links?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:05 AM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

Originally posted by 98AccordEX
good questions. i am running an FMAX kit with Tial wastegate and Greddy Type-S bov. completely stock internals. the only things i have other than the turbo are ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, VAFC, some cheap ass manual boost controller, and custom 2.5" exhaust. still have the stock axles. the only time the turbo has left me sit was when i had the fuel line burst on me. and it had nothing to do with the quality of the kit. it was a stupid mistake on my part. for the extra fuel injectors there is fuel line tapped into the existing fuel line and it runs to the secondary injectors that FMAX gives you. well i used just regular fuel line for it when i should have been using fuel injection line. i never realized there was a difference and it put too much pressure on the fuel line and blew it up. i have had my turbo since April of last year. so about 9-10 months. i ran 6lbs untuned from April til November. then i went to the dyno and turned it up to 10lbs and tuned it. it really is that much of a pain to maintain it. you just have to change your oil more often. i change mine about every 1500-2000 miles. and you must use synthetic which is about $25 a case of 6 as opposed to $12 a case of 12. its a good idea to run premium fuel. i've run 93 octane everytime since my turbo was put on. which is about another 20cents a gallon more than the low end fuel. then i change my spark plugs pretty often. some people like to use Iridium and pay like $50 each time. i just use NGK copper which are like $8 a set. they work perfectly fine and i liked them better than the set of Denso Iridium that i had. i have almost 99,000 miles on my car. still runs good. i just got a compression tester so one of these days i'll check it to make sure its still runnin without any internal damage. yes i would recommend the FMAX kit over any kit out there. its a very nice kit. manifold is nice. piping is nice. a lot of people dont like the secondary injectors supplied but i like the way it works. it works well with running lower boost. like i would say up to 12lbs its fine. if you plan on running any higher you could always just get the holes welded shut and run larger injectors with a fuel pump. ok i'm done with my book now. if i missed anything or if you have any other questions just ask
Thanks man....that was an awesome reply. So around what price range should i be expecting to spend with this full Fmax kit? The BOV and wastegate are things i need to buy seperately besides the fmax kit right? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:20 AM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

sorry to keep buggin you, but i noticed that fmax comes with fmax intercooler and deltagate wastegate. What was your reason for changing them if u swapped them out for the greddy and the tial? Since there are extra fuel injectors, how much more gas does the car eat? That doesnt change the displacement of the motor, correct? and i saw a quote from turbokits.com as 3799 dollars and up. Is that an accurate pricing? Thanks.