Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Woes

Old 04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Woes

A friend of mine has a '96 accord LX. She was in a parkinglot when the timing belt broke. I have offered to repair it for her, taking the head off and getting it rebuilt by a shop should be pretty easy for me.

What if a valve damaged a piston when it came out of time? Is there a chance this happend? Engine was only at idle speed, maybe a little higher when it went to lunch.

Any other comments, concerns, or ideas about this?

Thanks,
Russell
Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

When you pull the head look for the piston damage. A small dent on the piston shouldn't concern you a ton, only a cracked piston. Just replace the damaged valves.

Honestly given the age of the engine a junkyard f22b might be the cheaper way to go then a head rebuild.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea why you'd even want to touch this. Likely at least one piston is busted and two+ valves are too. A used engine would be far cheaper and easier.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
stereo

I would do a leak down and see if valves are bent first as on these motors it's usally a coin flip.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM
blitzer_
Automotive Technician

Default $$ bump $$

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I have no idea why you'd even want to touch this. Likely at least one piston is busted and two+ valves are too. A used engine would be far cheaper and easier.
Well I'm doing this for money. And actually she just changed her mind, now she wants to sell me the car for $500. So my profit margin is up there in the thousands now and this is even more interesting.

Car = -$500
Transport Car = -$150
Rebuild head = -$250
Gasket Set = -$100

Sell Car +$4000
-------------------------
profit $3000 And that's a lot, enough for a CRX w/ b18!! :driving:

I've been getting opinions from friends around here, they say a cracked piston is pretty unlikely.....but they are all NISMO fags.

Originally Posted by stereo
I would do a leak down and see if valves are bent first as on these motors it's usally a coin flip.
I assumed that at least 2 valves, probobly more will be bent. How could all 16 survive on an interference engine?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by blitzer_
Well I'm doing this for money. And actually she just changed her mind, now she wants to sell me the car for $500. So my profit margin is up there in the thousands now and this is even more interesting.

Car = -$500
Transport Car = -$150
Rebuild head = -$250
Gasket Set = -$100

Sell Car +$4000
-------------------------
profit $3000 And that's a lot, enough for a CRX w/ b18!! :driving:

I've been getting opinions from friends around here, they say a cracked piston is pretty unlikely.....but they are all NISMO fags.

I assumed that at least 2 valves, probobly more will be bent. How could all 16 survive on an interference engine?
I've seen interference engines break timing belts and most of the time it isn't pretty. Since the piston at TDC will hit the valves if they're open, when a belt breaks the valves stay in their positions and the crankshaft continues to spin because of its momentum. This leads, most of the time, to at least one piston colliding with one valve. Typically the valve disintegrates and the piston is left with a crack or a hole in it. But hey, if you have time and stand to profit, might as well take it apart, snap some pics and let us know what happens.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Nors
倍力恋

^^Yeah, you pretty much posted what I was about to.

When timing belts break on an interference engine, there WILL be damage. Either bent valves or cracked pistons, or both. I have saw 1 case where no damage occured, I think she just got real lucky though.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 AM
stereo

these motors wasn't suppost to be interference motor as they put dips into the pistion to clear the valves ,but years of arco gas fills them up with carbon and bends the valves !
Old 04-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Nors
倍力恋

^ My shop manual says they ARE interfernce engines, it doesn't specify engine codes etc, just says Honda - Accord, Civic,... you get the picture with just about all models listed I believe, I haven't looked at it in a while though.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Yeah those 'notches' in the pistons aren't so the piston will clear a dropped valve at TDC, it's for promoting optimal combustion.