Notices

Coupe or Sedan....Here Arrives the New Dilemma....

Old 08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
DJSIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe or Sedan....Here Arrives the New Dilemma....

The past three new cars for me have been two door coupes; a 1991 Nissan 240SX, a 1994 Accord EX Coupe, and this 1999 Accord EX V-6 Coupe....as I am getting older and my "tastes" of what I want in a vehicle are changing, I am finding that Im just not as "comfortable" in a coupe anymore as opposed to a sedan --- many factors here included.....the low-slung seating position, the low-to-the-ground clearance of the coupe, the overall size and inability to carry much cargo or rear passengers (which I really dont do all that much, but still)....all of this has been leading me to wanting to make my next ride a four door, but I keep thinking Im giving up the "sexyness" of a coupe if I went with a sedan; now, as you all know, the sedan that I have my eye on is the --- please dont hate me --- Camry SE WITH the factory body kit they make for the car; Im looking at getting something skirted out and sporty if I go with a sedan. The Accord Sedan, of course, is another consideration on my list, which would be totally loaded with the OEM front nose skirt, rear wing, fogs, etc.....

But after my tranny in this '99 Coupe is replaced, I am definitely thinking of selling the car for something new, being that it was in two accidents already and I just feel like she has "seen her day"; I guess what I wanted to know from everyone's opinion making minds is what your thoughts are on sedans vs. coupes, and being that Im not married yet, nor have any relationship "duties" or responsibilities, is a sedan NECESSARY; or can single people actually be SEEN and DRIVE sedans? Can a sedan be "just as sexy and sleek looking" as a coupe once decked out in spoilers and such?

IF I were staying with a two door car, I wouldnt even CONSIDER getting rid of my Accord Coupe because she only has 58K on her and looks in showroom condition EVEN THOUGH I said above that I feel like she may be "seeing her day", even after the accidents. But if I do buy a new ride, its going to be a four door because I just feel like I have "moved up into" a four door vehicle....does this make any sense to anyone even though I dont have a family yet and still living a very much single lifestyle? Does this MATTER when shopping for a body style?

Any thoughts on coupes vs. sedans --- or your thoughts on the ACCORD COUPE vs. THE SEDAN too --- would be greatly appreciated friends!

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
jschmid

Wow you overthink EVERYTHING don't you?

Coupe doesn't always equal sporty.

It's all a matter of taste, some people like coupes, some like sedans. I personally like sedans just because of the convienence. I don't have rear passengers a lot, but when I do, I'm glad they don't have to squeeze themselves into the back, while stepping all over my door sill, the rear seat, etc. I'm kinda paranoid about that kind of stuff. Also I end up throwing a lot of cargo in my back seat because I've bought a lot of stuff that doesn't fit in the trunk, but fits in the rear seat.

Looks are all subjective, but I prefer the 6th gen sedan to the 6th gen coupe because it just looks better porportioned to me. The sedan is only 2.0 inches longer than the coupe, and just makes better use of the space imo. I bought my car when I was single, so it wasn't cause I was married with kids.

It varies with the car too imo. For example, I think the e46 3 series sedan looks better than the coupe, M5 better than M6, etc. But I love the way the G35 coupe looks vs the G35 sedan. Depends on the car, but in general I prefer the styling of sedans vs coupes when the car comes in both versions. In my perfect world, I'll take a sedan for everday, and a roadster for the weekends.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe tomorrow you can post some pictures of shirts and we can help you decide what to wear h:

Get whatever you like. Same car (sans 6-speed), different body. Everyone thinks the coupe looks better, because it does. Yadda yadda yadda.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 AM
BONE

Just get what you want if it were me it would be the sedan hands down for convience. I have an Integra 2 door and a Accord 4 door and I use the Accord more because of its space and its 4 door body.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
DJSIII

"Wow you overthink EVERYTHING don't you?"

I dont see it as "overthinking"; more of just trying to get some outside opinions on the viewpoints I may have.....

"Coupe doesn't always equal sporty."

This is ONE of the things I wanted to know and explore.

"It's all a matter of taste, some people like coupes, some like sedans. I personally like sedans just because of the convienence."

I think thats the way Im leaning, too....convenience had become a big factor when I was in my last relationship back in NY and my coupe really didnt have enough room for when we wanted to bring things home from Home Depot or whatever; we always ended up using her Blazer and then her new Grand Prix when she got it right before we broke up.....

BTW, do you still contend that "finding the right one" just hasnt happened yet and not to sweat it?

"I don't have rear passengers a lot, but when I do, I'm glad they don't have to squeeze themselves into the back, while stepping all over my door sill, the rear seat, etc. I'm kinda paranoid about that kind of stuff."

Yes, same situation with me----I probably WILL NEVER have back passengers, in fact, but when anyone has to go in the back of the coupe----especially say folks like my parents' age---its horrendously difficult and I think Im just outgrowing the whole coupe thing.

"Looks are all subjective, but I prefer the 6th gen sedan to the 6th gen coupe because it just looks better porportioned to me. The sedan is only 2.0 inches longer than the coupe, and just makes better use of the space imo. I bought my car when I was single, so it wasn't cause I was married with kids."

So, you're saying its "cool" for a single person to drive a sedan?

"It varies with the car too imo. For example, I think the e46 3 series sedan looks better than the coupe, M5 better than M6, etc."

Okay; I disagree....I think EVERY BMW 3 series coupe looks better than any 3 series sedan, BUT.......

"I love the way the G35 coupe looks vs the G35 sedan."

Yes, this I totally agree with; the coupe makes the sedan seem stodgy on the G35; the same thing I think about the BMW.....

"Depends on the car, but in general I prefer the styling of sedans vs coupes when the car comes in both versions. In my perfect world, I'll take a sedan for everday, and a roadster for the weekends."

True; that would be great to be able to have two cars but most of us have an everyday driver and need to comprimise; Im just wondering if going from a coupe to a sedan is going to make or break any "well, you're not cool and flashy looking anymore" rules --- especially IF I get a sedan skirted out OEM style like I want the Camry in.....

Any more thoughts J? Thank you.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:40 AM
DJSIII

"Maybe tomorrow you can post some pictures of shirts and we can help you decide what to wear"

As you have proven my point again, more sensless, aggressive rambling for nothing more than the sake of beginning an argument......

"Get whatever you like."

Thanks, once again, for making this oh so clear to me now.....
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM
DJSIII

Originally Posted by BONE
Just get what you want if it were me it would be the sedan hands down for convience. I have an Integra 2 door and a Accord 4 door and I use the Accord more because of its space and its 4 door body.
Thanks Bone; but as I was TRYING to explain to Coupe, Im having a hard time DECIDING what I really want; if I stay with my coupe, Im not getting a new car.....I would only be BUYING to upgrade to a four door sedan and something larger....

Any thoughts? Thank you.....
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by DJSIII
"Wow you overthink EVERYTHING don't you?"

I dont see it as "overthinking"; more of just trying to get some outside opinions on the viewpoints I may have.....

"Coupe doesn't always equal sporty."

This is ONE of the things I wanted to know and explore.

"It's all a matter of taste, some people like coupes, some like sedans. I personally like sedans just because of the convienence."

I think thats the way Im leaning, too....convenience had become a big factor when I was in my last relationship back in NY and my coupe really didnt have enough room for when we wanted to bring things home from Home Depot or whatever; we always ended up using her Blazer and then her new Grand Prix when she got it right before we broke up.....

BTW, do you still contend that "finding the right one" just hasnt happened yet and not to sweat it?

"I don't have rear passengers a lot, but when I do, I'm glad they don't have to squeeze themselves into the back, while stepping all over my door sill, the rear seat, etc. I'm kinda paranoid about that kind of stuff."

Yes, same situation with me----I probably WILL NEVER have back passengers, in fact, but when anyone has to go in the back of the coupe----especially say folks like my parents' age---its horrendously difficult and I think Im just outgrowing the whole coupe thing.

"Looks are all subjective, but I prefer the 6th gen sedan to the 6th gen coupe because it just looks better porportioned to me. The sedan is only 2.0 inches longer than the coupe, and just makes better use of the space imo. I bought my car when I was single, so it wasn't cause I was married with kids."

So, you're saying its "cool" for a single person to drive a sedan?

"It varies with the car too imo. For example, I think the e46 3 series sedan looks better than the coupe, M5 better than M6, etc."

Okay; I disagree....I think EVERY BMW 3 series coupe looks better than any 3 series sedan, BUT.......

"I love the way the G35 coupe looks vs the G35 sedan."

Yes, this I totally agree with; the coupe makes the sedan seem stodgy on the G35; the same thing I think about the BMW.....

"Depends on the car, but in general I prefer the styling of sedans vs coupes when the car comes in both versions. In my perfect world, I'll take a sedan for everday, and a roadster for the weekends."

True; that would be great to be able to have two cars but most of us have an everyday driver and need to comprimise; Im just wondering if going from a coupe to a sedan is going to make or break any "well, you're not cool and flashy looking anymore" rules --- especially IF I get a sedan skirted out OEM style like I want the Camry in.....

Any more thoughts J? Thank you.
No, I'm not saying that it's "cool" for a single person to drive a sedan, I'm just saying that driving a sedan doesn't make you uncool. If you are that worried about what other people think, then you'll have more problems that just deciding on a car. If a chick isn't going to hook up with you because she doesn't like your car, you shouldn't want her anyway.

I know this is an extreme example, but do you think a geo storm is gonna pull more tail than an M5 sedan cause it's a coupe? h: There are tons of sedans out there that are plenty sporty, but again, it's just a matter of taste. Audi's S4, RS4, RS6 are their performance cars, all are sedans. The STI and Evo are basically the performance per dollar cars out there, and they are both only available in sedan. So there are a lot of people out there than don't think sporty cars have to be coupes. There are endless examples, these are just a couple that come to mind.

If you want a coupe, then go for it, but if you end up finding a sedan you like better, don't be afraid to buy it for fear of it not being cool.

Some people like coupes, some like sedans, etc. I personally like the convience of a sedan for everyday driving. Just personal preference.

And about "Finding the right one" girl-wise, yeah...don't sweat it. If you over-analyze a relationship as much as buying a car, it'll be down the toilet quick haha. When you find the right one, you'll know it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:01 AM
DJSIII

"No, I'm not saying that it's "cool" for a single person to drive a sedan, I'm just saying that driving a sedan doesn't make you uncool. If you are that worried about what other people think, then you'll have more problems that just deciding on a car. If a chick isn't going to hook up with you because she doesn't like your car, you shouldn't want her anyway."

True.....

"I know this is an extreme example, but do you think a geo storm is gonna pull more tail than an M5 sedan cause it's a coupe?"

Of course not......that IS an extreme, immature-oriented example which Im sure you are well aware of I can see better beyond that......I'M talking about comparing, say, Solara Coupes with Camry Sedans or Accord Coupes with Accord Sedans or BMW 3 Series Coupes with BMW 3 Series Sedans, etc....

"There are tons of sedans out there that are plenty sporty, but again, it's just a matter of taste. Audi's S4, RS4, RS6 are their performance cars, all are sedans. The STI and Evo are basically the performance per dollar cars out there, and they are both only available in sedan. So there are a lot of people out there than don't think sporty cars have to be coupes. There are endless examples, these are just a couple that come to mind."

Okay; thanks. Even Paul Walker was driving the EVO Sedan in 2Fast2Furious now that Im thinking about it......

"If you want a coupe, then go for it, but if you end up finding a sedan you like better, don't be afraid to buy it for fear of it not being cool."

No, well, AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING, the only reason I would sell my Accord Coupe at this point would be to UPGRADE INTO A LARGER CAR, a four door sedan, because I feel like I just want one at this point for space reasons, seating position, etc; there would be no reason for me to get rid of the coupe I have now to buy another one, so I wouldnt be doing that.....the only new car consideration would be a sedan.

"Some people like coupes, some like sedans, etc. I personally like the convience of a sedan for everyday driving. Just personal preference."

I think thats what Im approaching in my lifestyle technique and beliefs.

"And about "Finding the right one" girl-wise, yeah...don't sweat it. If you over-analyze a relationship as much as buying a car, it'll be down the toilet quick haha. When you find the right one, you'll know it."

Thanks man.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by DJSIII
...I'M talking about comparing, say, Solara Coupes with Camry Sedans or Accord Coupes with Accord Sedans or BMW 3 Series Coupes with BMW 3 Series Sedans, etc...
Well when comparing Solara vs Camry, Accord coupe vs sedan, I would say that the general public probably do view the coupe version of the cars as more sporty. This doesn't mean the coupes are in fact more sporty, but I think whether this is enough to sway you to stick with a coupe, is up to you.