Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indiglo gauges on 5th gen

Old 08-06-2002, 12:02 PM
pimpachu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indiglo gauges on 5th gen

Hey is it hard to install indiglo guages on a 5th gen accord how do you wire it up? and help would be great thanx. And how do 6 stage color guages work( i have those) do they suck?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:46 PM
jayca80

there are tons of info on that here in Accord forum.
anyway, not many ppl go for 6 color interchangable one. it's basically not worth it. just get some reverse one from ebay. they're cheap too.
note that there're like 3 different ones(look) you can choose from, so know what they are before you pick one.

and installation;
it's really easy. i'm not sure about 5th gen, but as for 6th gen, indi. gauge for i4 auto and v6 auto are different. if u have manual, it won't matter.
now you must be wondering how difficult it'd be to do urself.
it usually takes about 3 hrs for who never done it before. i'm no handy man,
but i did it without NO PROBLEM.

here are some tips:
prepare everything before you go install. once you take apart things from ur car, you ain't going nowhere w/o ur gauge.
to put indi. gauge on, you may use "heavy duty double sided tape for carpet" you can get them at ur local homedepot or somewhere.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
NEVER EVER take off needles. you never need to do so.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:37 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

just get some white face guages that overlay the stock guage face. they light up just as well and have a white-ish blue tint at night. you dont have to wire anything up in order for them to light up. the stock light in the guage cluster will light them up fine.

as for the install. it was a pain in the a$$. you have to be patient and look for the screws. i would tell you how to do it but i dont remember the exact location of all the screws. you can find out on www.aieonline.com and go to the guage section and there is a part for installing gauges on 5th gens. in general, you have to take out the center console and armrest and all that stuff in order to remove the guage cluster.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Randumb
Resident Audiophile

I enjoyed putting in my gauges. Taking out the whole dash was fun, especially the second time. One of the screws wasn't all the way tightened, and the RPM needle couldn't get past it. It was a lot easier after having done it though (anyone want me to install some gauges? change your climate control leds? just let me know )

Pics at: http://numbskull.bootlab.net/lights.php
Old 08-06-2002, 08:07 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I put reverse indi's in my car... its not all that hard of a project, it just takes some time.

You have to take half the dash apart to do it, but its not hard

There are 2 screws inside the arm rest compartment, covered by a plastic plate or the CD holder, that have to be taken out. Then pull out the cup holder and you'll see another screw to remove. Once they are out, the arm rest portion is loose and can be removed. Then the radio surround comes out. If you have a manual tranny, take the shift knob off first by pulling down on the chrome piece at the base of the knob, then turn the knob counterclockwise till it comes off. There are 2 screws where the 2 console pieces meet, holding the black trim in place and one behind the ash tray that have to come out. Once they are out the plastic will pop off, then disconnect the switches, clock and cigeratte lighter and remove the trim. There are 2 screws on the underside of the radio/pocket that have to be removed (be careful not to drop them) and the radio can be disconnected and removed. On the underside of the climate control there are 2 screws that have to be removed... they are above where the radio was. Now with a small flat head screw driver, carefully pry out the defrost, cruise/sunroof and dimmer switches from their holes and disconnect them. Behind where the switches were there are 2 screws (one on each side of the steering wheel) to be removed. Then on the top of the gauge bezel, just above the gauges there are 2 more screws to be removed. The climate control/gauge trim is now loose... carefully pull it out (helps to have the steering wheel all the way down) and to the right side of the car... you may have to disconnect the wirring to the climate controls... but not the cable... it will swing out of the way enough to do the gauges. There are 4 screws holding the gauge cluster in place, take them out and tilt the top of the cluster tward you... there are 3 harnesses to unplug and the cluster will come right out.

The clear face of the cluster clips in place, press the clips in and remove the face (the rubber tip to the odometer reset button needs to be pulled off). The gauge trim pops right off, and you can install your gauges... its up to you where you run the wires from the faces... I ran mine through a hole i drilled in the back of the cluster so they can be connected to the transformer. I decided not to mount my dimmer anywhere, instead I just left it inside the dash, I never dim my gauges anyway... but you'll probably want it somewhere so you can change the colors. You can get power for the gauges from the back of the stock dimmer... use a test light to find which one DOES NOT dim... or you can trace down the wire from the parking light switch in the harness to the left of the steering wheel. Once you have your faces in, reinstall the cluster and check their operation. Once your satisfied, reverse the procedure and reinstall everything. It'll take about 2 hours to complete. Have fun.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:09 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

oh yeah... you dont need double sided tape or anything if you have stiff faces... mine are almost the thickness of the stock faces so they stay in place just fine... and if I ever wanna remove them I can without a bunch of gunk left over. Plus the black gauge trim holds them inplace.