Notices

2000 Si Build-Up Questions: Part 2 (newbie questions.. beware)

Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Si Turbo Questions (still learning)

Yeah I have more questions about the whole turbo deal.

First I was just wondering how you get more 'boost' or psi out of a turbo. I've seen setups for a B16A that ran a ridiculous 24psi out of a GT66, and if it's possible to even get 18psi for me, would be perfect. I already have the plans to replace my cams, cam gears, pistons and connecting rods. Everything else on the b-series stood up to 500+ with just those replaced and that turbo setup(the other stuff needed i dont remember them all), but i also plan to replace the valvesprings, retainers, and heatshieldng the turbo from the areas around it.

I just don't understand how to change the boost on a turbo or how i would know what to change! (dont worry as i will do alot of work and testing before i try any of this)

Last edited by 93CivicSiD16HB; 02-02-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: the title didint represent the thread welle enough
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 PM
b16ahybrid

Either change out the wastegate spring to a higher value one (from say .65 bar to 1 bar) or using a boost controller. Either a manual unit or an electronic boost controller.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

Will any turbo be able to handle a higher load though, if not explain this?

AND heres the scenario:

I need a turbo that can run up to ideally 18-19psi without the need of removing the a/c or power steering etc.

I read an article in HCI and after replacing the camshafts, gears, pistons, and rods, this setup has been proven to run over 507hp/339lb-ft of torque with 24psi of boost safely on a stock b16 with these madifications. (also i plan to replace alot more than just these parts, these were just used in that specific project)

Im trying to reach a good 400 horsepower range without lacking cold air on the inside.

ANY help or suggestions would be great!

Last edited by 93CivicSiD16HB; 02-02-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:52 PM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

Originally Posted by 93CivicSiD16HB
I read an article in HCI and after replacing the camshafts, gears, pistons, and rods, this setup has been proven to run over 507hp/339lb-ft of torque with 24psi of boost safely on a stock b16 with these madifications. (also i plan to replace alot more than just these parts, these were just used in that specific project)

theres much more to attaining 507hp than just bolting the aforementioned parts on. Its all in tuning.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You need to do a ton more research. Why are you aiming so high? Have you ever felt 300 whp on a street car?

Without some great tuning, running stock sleeves and 500 whp is going to be a disaster, not to mention everything else that wasn't mentioned, like a full race suspension, axle upgrades, motor mounts, fuel system upgrades, an efficient exhaust system, etc, etc, etc.

Just because a magazine with plenty of money, research and development can pump 500+ horsepower out of a primarily stock B16 with a large turbo doesn't mean anything to someone just starting out without proper knowledge of how it all works together.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:51 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

yeah tuning aside, i knew beforehand this required tuning but thats not what im asking about, so say i tune it perfectly, i already have an exhaust kit selected and i'm worried about the engine right now, and im still learning thats why im ASKING things?

and about 300whp, no i haven't, but will 300whp in a civic beat a grand am with the same 300whp?, maybe, but i'd rather be sure, i dont mean to sound arrogant, but i see so many civic online and in magazines with well over 300whp and they seem to like it.
and i dont want 500whp, i was looking for more around 390-400 MAX hp.

I will address the suspension and that later when i get a good understanding if the engine setup i plan to use, i mean i THOUGHT that was the best way to go.

I'm planning on getting the car by the end of the year or so and i want to be able to race anything that comes up against me within the next few years, and some people come forth and say 'then get a muscle car', no? I want a honda civic si, and i want to win.

I'm going into auto mechanics and body and am trying to get a little bit of a start but with enough power to surprise people.

so please again how would you push 16-18psi through a b16A2 without removal of the a/c or p/s? or is this even possible?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Dime333

first off your gonna need alot of room to run an intercooler... none of that side mounted shit. your a/c may be doomed.

if your really serious about 390-400hp, i hope you have a good job cause its gonna cost you a grip
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 PM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

now okay something i can work with,

i always thought the intercooler went in front of the engine, but i have seen the speaco air-to-water intercooler and it looked like it was on top where the air filter usually is and in that setup the turbo was where the a/c usually is.

What if i went for a smaller goal of 350whp? im falling farther and farther away from an 11sec car though...

on a side note, is there any way to move the a/c compressor to a different spot?(doubtful) and whats the highest whp you think i could get without removing it normally.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

I don't know if you've considered this, but slapping a huge turbo onto a small engine like this can make your car a bear to drive day to day. You won't get the large amounts of power until way up in RPM's. Don't mean to discourage you, but the 500 whp doesn't exactly come without a tradeoff.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30 AM
93CivicSiD16HB
mmmmm VTEC..

300whp has been done so many times, and again I AM NOT GOING FOR FIVE HUNDERED WHP, NOT, AS IN I AM NOT, NO. Learn to read? I did.

I just wanted some SIMPLE boost questions and i got replies about how i cant run 500whp, WHEN I NEVER WANTED 500WHP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
18 psi is NOT 500WHP! IT'S MAYBE 400ish AT MOST!!

Just forget it, I'm done looking for help on this in the retard bin.
You guys helped me on alot of stuff just this was retardedly annoying.
(thanks to those who actually helped)

Last edited by 93CivicSiD16HB; 02-03-2006 at 02:50 AM.