Notices

Help me I'm in the US...

Old 08-25-2002, 04:21 PM
BoxsterCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me I'm in the US...

...and I just fell in love with the Acura EL! My wife has a 2001 Civic and on a trip to Quebec we were blown away by the Acura...we'd love to trade up to it!

Does anyone know if you can import these stateside? I mean, it isn't quite as bad as wanting a real Japanese Integra, is it? I understand Canadian regulations are tighter than here..so it should be OK?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 08-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Type V

welcome to the board!

yes, it is possible, i'm not sure how the legalities work in the states... ie. if u can BUY the car in canada, purchase temporary license, drive it home to the states, and insure...

not sure if it is THAT easy... or maybe the car will have to be a USED vehicle?

regardless, i HAVE seen 1.6ELs in seattle with washington plates... so i am PRETTY sure it is no problem for you to drive around in a UNIQUE ACURA EL in your neighbourhood
Old 08-26-2002, 04:56 PM
BoxsterCharlie

Thanks for the comments. I think I may call a dealer in Montreal and see if they've ever exported a vehicle (and perhaps if they want to import my (oops, that's my wife's) car as a trade-in). I also have a good friend in Toronto, so maybe we could work something out.

Like you say, it would be fun to have such a unique car! I'd love to take it to a local Acura dealer for an oil change just to see the look on their faces!

It is so nice, refined, the engine would be great, here in Boston the heated seats would be a huge plus (we love the Boxster's heated seats--really extends the top-down "season" immensely). But unfortunately Acura is probably right about the US market--we just don't "get" refined small cars. Look at the nice Infinity G20. It's sales have been dismal, but it is a really unique car too.

-Charlie
'01 2.7 Boxster
former '92 Integra and '84 Accord owner
Old 08-29-2002, 10:32 AM
BoxsterCharlie

U P D A T E :

I had a very interesting exchange with a Canadian Acura dealer and Acura US. I'm going to relay the information here because I think it might be valuable for anyone considering this unique vehicle!

1-The Canadian Dealer was enthusiastic to make the sale, which is a good sign. Apparently Acrua doesn't burn their own dealers for wanting to sell vehicles.

2-With the increase of "gray market" cars from Canada up to over 200,000 a year, Honda in particular has taken the most draconian measure to discourage it--they void the warrantee and will not do the US buyer the courtesy of providing EPA and DOT compliance papers. (Which they will happily provide for a Canadian owner emmigrating to the US)

3-The speedometer and odometer must be converted to Miles prior to import.

4-Compliance papers could probably be located and used by a private party without too much problem.

5-Several hundred auto importers in the US are eager to do all the legwork for a (probably high) fee, but it is a shady business so it is difficult to find a reputable one. They can also certify the car as new so that it does not carry the "odometer miles not as stated" stigma for the remainer of the cars life.

6-99.9% of people who want a Canadian car want it simply to save money; I'm in the minority because I just want a car Acura doesn't want to sell me. I view the savings as a risk payoff in lieu of a warrantee.

I hope this may be helpful. At this point I'm going to sit back and think about things, but I think this is a really exciting option. Do you folks realize that for perhaps $14K (USD) you could be driving a beautiful, fully loaded Acura EL! Compare that with a Civic!

-Charlie
Old 09-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Tirod

i saw an el here in utah.. it was awesome... it had 96-98 sedan style tailights but they went toward the plate more like 98+ accord sedans... it was nice
Old 09-16-2002, 05:45 PM
1.6se

how about buying a used el?
are the rules the same as bringing brand new ones back to US?
Old 09-20-2002, 05:55 AM
Rev'd EL

www.clubel.ca
Old 10-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Zoolander

I only found out after I purchased my EL that they weren't offered in the US. I love the car! Next year, ,I'll be adding rims, exhaust, headers, and etc.. Can't wait!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:54 AM
AcCoRd_V6

im all the way down in Houston, Texas and have seen an Acura EL cruise around with Texas plates...so im guessing it's possible.