Notices

Big Help!! Help!!! Help!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 AM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Help!! Help!!! Help!!!

I dont know wuts wrong with my car, i step on the brake really hard and push my automatic shifter and it wont shift into R or D or anything! i have to have a spare key inside my "shift lock release" hole and push the key in when i want to shift. And just yesterday i noticed that my brake lights dont work anymore...i step on the brake and the extra lights in the back dont illuminate...can someone help me and tell me wut might be wrong with my car and how i can fix it... i would really apperciate it
~lilriceburner
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
97civicEXVTEC

it sounds like something that doesnt depress after you hit the brake pedal.. i dont know that much about brakes so im sure someone else will chime in.. good luck an welcome to HAN..
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

But i mean, my brakes work...everything is fine, just that the brake lights dont light up...and the autoshifter wont let me shift out of park after i start the car up....thanks for the welcome
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
huviduc

if your brakes work and your car shifts fine when you use the shift lock. it would seem to me that the only possible thing that could be wrong is the sensor on your brake is obviously not sensing that you are hitting the brakes. The brakes themselves are mechanical and run by pressure from the brake fluid. They will still work even if you car is not sensing that you are hitting them.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

So how can i locate that sensor and check if its working, cuz pushing the key into the shift lock release just to shift is bugging me...and sooner or later the cops will stop me because my brake lights dont light when i hit the brakes
Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
RBailie81

Have you changed the shifter knob to an aftermarket one?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

Naw...still stock shifter knob...i dont know wut went wrong....its very confusing
Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

sounds to me like your brake switch (on the pedal) went bad. All it does is tell the tranny you're braking, and light up your brake lights... so that would seem to be it. Maybe it's just disconnected or stuck? Good luck!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:18 PM
lilriceburner
>94' Civic Si Coupe

I see the switch...it looks like a little button that gets released everytime i push the brake...and when i let go of the brake it gets pressed again...i checkd it just now...and it seems to be working fine...but it still wont let me shift out of gear while holding the break and my brake lights still wont light up...does it have to do anything with the shift lock release...can i figure out the exact problem thru ECU coding? help me plz
Old 10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

You don't have a ceck engine light on by chance do you?