Notices

Help! Drive train problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
334cobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Drive train problem.

Ok, so I installed a new clutch, AND did a minor overhaul on the tranny of my civic d16y8. I put everything back together, and it started up first time...only thing is when the car is on, I can shift into any gear without the clutch, BUT it doesn't move! Ruled out any axle issue...what else could it be?! P.s. when the car is on jackstands, the front wheels spin independently of each other...shouldn't the other wheel spin in opposite direction when you spin one wheel? P.s.s. When I turn one wheel...it KIND OF grabs the other wheel and spins it, but if there is anything grabbing that other wheel, it doesn't move at all. If the clutch is stuck in the disengage position (as if the pedal were pressed) would this cause the axles to independently spin? Btw here is a picture of what my axle on the driver side looks like (found on another website, but this is how mine looks)...and I'm telling you, it's not going in any further. I'm a strong guy, and I have beat this thing up and down...its not goin any further. Just wanted to know if THIS is how it should look for a d16y8 driver side axle manual tranny.[ATTACH=CONFIG]84456[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b4cc2ae3.jpg (172.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
334cobra

anyone..please?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM
334cobra

pleeeeeease...any ideas?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM
ChrisS

It looks like that axle is not fully seated. But, the splines would be providing power to the wheel even with it out slightly like that.
Did you use a new clip on the end of the axle? and a good glob of grease on the splines/clip when installing the axle?

To get the axle fully seated:
-use a dead blow plastic mallet
-tap on the axle right next to the tranny at 90 degrees to the insertion direction
-rotate the axle a little bit
-repeat
(eventually the clip works past the jam and snaps into the correct location; I've used this technique installing and removing axles.)

What did you do for your minor overhaul of the tranny?
It sounds like something is wrong with the differential. Not assembled correctly or missing parts.
-drive wheels should not spin independently
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
334cobra

ok, that's what I wanted to know. I figured drive wheel shouldn't spin independently. just didn't know for sure. and I pretty much did little to nothing on the minor overhaul. changed every seal on the tranny, and one differential bearing. that's all. had the casing cleaned somewhere so it looks good...and u know, I STILL think its the axles as well, but its just so hard to believe cus the pin in the middle of the differential that holds the differential gears in place is in the way it seems. the end of the axle seems to be hitting on that, so it cant go any further. I have the tranny taken apart again, and checked and everything was installed correctly, so it rules out tranny problem...so now im lookin at axles or clutch...P.S. whenever I turned the wheel of the side I "thought" I had seated correctly (the passenger side [it WAS flush with the tranny]), the differential didn't move at all.only the gears inside of it. I had car in first gear. I was trying to turn the other wheel to move that differential pin (that the driver side axle is hitting on the differential that I mentioned) so that it was straight up and down to see if the clip went in easier...but when I turned the "good side" it didn't move the differential at all...just those four differentil gears turned. any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM
ChrisS

I assume your differential looks something like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84457[/ATTACH]

The inside ends of your axles snap into the gears labelled #4.
The shaft (#9) & pinion gears (#10) connect the two axles and put power to the wheels.

One other thing to check on each axle:
-hold the shaft of the the axle in one hand
-try to turn the inside end of the shaft with the other hand
(maybe, one of your axles tripod bearing popped off some how.)
Attached Images
File Type: gif
differential.gif (10.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:06 PM
334cobra

ahh ok ill try that! and yes #9 on the picture is what I think the axle is hitting. and to specify my earlier question, I was wondering if I turn one wheel (if everything was on jackstands), should the differential turn as well?? I know now thanx to you, that the other wheel should turn, BUT should the differential, itself, turn as well? I know the pinion gears will which, in turn, spin the other wheel the opposite direction. but if the tranny IS in gear should the differential, itself, turn? sorry for asking the question like 20 times, lol. I just wanted to specify things so I get a good answer
Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM
ChrisS

If the transmission is in gear, the differential should not turn.
(in theory, if the tranny was in first gear with nothing connected to the tranny's input shaft it might turn; but, kind of doubtful. There's still enough friction with all those gears meshed to make turning it difficult by hand.)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM
334cobra

ahhhhh, ur right....I had to think about that for a second. cus then I would be turning the crankshaft as well lolol. and yes the input shaft WOULD turn if there was nothing connected, AND if it was in first gear since you cleared that other stuff up for me...now im starting to understand. helps me narrow down my problem. because if the engine was in first gear the differential would NOT turn like you said BECAUSE you wouldn't even be able to turn the wheel, lest you turn the crankshaft as well, haha!...so...when I [thought] I had the axles in all the way, I put the engine in first gear...I then attempted to turn the wheels (both of them), and both turned without effort, AND they turned independently....so...considering that the transmission was put together properly, it COULD be the axles...stupid axles -_- 2 more questions here...if one axle was connected and the other wasn't properly, would I still be able to turn both axles while the tranny was in gear? 2nd question is what if the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position (meaning I probably need to check my torque, and loosen pressure plate a bit, or check other clutch components). if clutch was stuck disengaged, would it give me these same symptoms? (wheels turning independently while tranny in gear [assuming axles were seated properly])
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
ChrisS

It might be a good idea to round up a friend (or friend of a friend) who knows their way around cars and do some "hands on diagnosis".
Too many things for me to remotely diagnose.

Other info you should really include:
-year and model of your honda
-cable or hydro tranny
-original motor/tranny or a swap?
-modifications if different than stock (i.e., lightened flywheel, 6-puck clutch, stage2 pressure plate, etc.)

Also, please organize the info your posting kind of like my replies.
(running everything together as sentences/dialog makes it difficult to pull info quickly.)