Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2003 NSX 4.0l VTEC V8

Old 08-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Ludiculous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 NSX 4.0l VTEC V8

Has anyone heard of the rumored 2003/4 nsx powered by a 4.0l VTEC V8 for under 55k?

This would be very interesting. If this is the case, I will wait til its released to purchase a used NSX, prices should drop if this holds true.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:39 PM
DakarM

Where did you hear this? I know there was a rumor while back that said the next NSX will get a V8 but that turned out to be just a rumor.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:41 PM
yianni64

Wow, misleading title.

Nobody knows, and I doubt we'll see a V8 ever, much less in 2003. Expect a new NSX 2004/2005 the soonest.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Jeff TYPE R
Crazy AE86 dude.

There's a few things wrong with that rumor.

1. Honda isn't making a V8 for awhile, and if they do, it's gonna...wait nevermind, they won't.
2. Honda just redid the NSX to hold it over for a couple more years.
3. iVTEC, not VTEC.

What we might see is something like the DN-X drivetrain appear in the next NSX. Now that will be shweet.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:11 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
There's a few things wrong with that rumor.

1. Honda isn't making a V8 for awhile, and if they do, it's gonna...wait nevermind, they won't.
2. Honda just redid the NSX to hold it over for a couple more years.
3. iVTEC, not VTEC.

What we might see is something like the DN-X drivetrain appear in the next NSX. Now that will be shweet.
But why would an AWD system that gets 40mpg be sweet? I mean, will it have the power of a V8? O yeah, it does. Sweeeeet indeed.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Helmethead

I would still see the new NSX to be still mid engine and rear drive. After all, Honda still can make some good MR car like NSX and S2000. However, I agree with Jeff with what he said. NSX is most likely to have the 3.5L I-VTEC engine with the new Honda's hybrid machine. V8 is not too bad. However, I personally think if Honda uses something like 3.5L with their new technology, that is more Honda style. As AWD drivetrain, it is not too bad too. Nevertheless, I felt like it is more going with everyone's direction
Old 08-09-2002, 01:35 PM
RavenLude

If Honda builds a V-8 for a production model in the US, it will be for the RL so they can compete again with the LS430, Q45, and E Class/5 Series.
I doubt they will ever have a AWD setup in a sports car.
It is either rear wheel or front wheel to keep reliability up and maintence expenses down.
I agree with the 3.5 liter V6 powerplant upgrade. Throw the extra cam on as well as the I-VTEC and I'm sure an NSX will give you 330hp +; enough to blow away the Viper and Zo6 on the track.

Rumors I've been stumbling on though is that the next generation Supra will have a V8 and a price of $35k.
That would be nice.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:11 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by RavenLude
If Honda builds a V-8 for a production model in the US, it will be for the RL so they can compete again with the LS430, Q45, and E Class/5 Series.
It is either rear wheel or front wheel to keep reliability up and maintence expenses down.
I agree with the 3.5 liter V6 powerplant upgrade. Throw the extra cam on as well as the I-VTEC and I'm sure an NSX will give you 330hp +; enough to blow away the Viper and Zo6 on the track.

Rumors I've been stumbling on though is that the next generation Supra will have a V8 and a price of $35k.
That would be nice.
Um, a V8 and 35K? Man, i dunnot about that. Maybe an inline-6 version will be that much. I dunno, anything at this point is puuuuur pulling out of my ass speculation.
If it was up to me, I'd keep the same twin turbo inline-6, jsut do more tuning from the factory and have it be like 400hp stock. We all know it can handle 700hp on stock internals, so I doubt 400hp or so will be a problem.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:19 PM
AcuraFanatic

I really don't think the next Supra will be using the I-6 engine again. Not in a market that has been infested with high horsepower beasts, even if it is $35,000. You can only get so much horsepower out of an engine without sacraficing driveability.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Jeff TYPE R
Crazy AE86 dude.

Originally posted by RavenLude

That would be nice.
I'm not sure I understand where you want the NSX to go. The DN-X drivetrain isn't your typical AWD setup with a center differential. It's all computer controlled with the typical FR layout PLUS 2 electric motors for the front wheels. This wouldn't really incur any extra maintenance costs not to mention Honda has plenty of experience with hybrids.

Also, what do you mean by throwing on an extra cam? The C series is already DOHC...what are you implying..."TOHC"?? lol and you can't just toss iVTEC into an engine either. The fact is, the C series engine is outdated now and Honda can do way better using newer technology. How does 400+ hp sound to you?

Quick Reply: 2003 NSX 4.0l VTEC V8