Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2003 NSX 4.0l VTEC V8

Old 08-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Helmethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Fastball said, NSX is worthy of every penny we spent. I have no question about NSX's reliabity. Many magazines has agreed that no doubt, NSX so far is the most reliable car from Honda. What so bad about its aluminium body? It made NSX so unique and so fast. I don't want to see NSX under 55K. This will make NSX like family car. I am sure because there are so few Ferrari and Porche and that's why it made them so cool.

Look at M3, you can get it about the 1/2 price of NSX (90K in US and 140K in Canada) and about same performance statistic and maybe even more luxuries. However, many people has criticized its engine stablity. I am not here to say M3 is bad and not good to buy. My point is NSX is so far "the" best car made by Honda and is definitely worthy of the price we need to pay.

As far as Supra and the GTR go, I think both Toyota and Nissan need to make a big move in order to join NSX's class. Maybe there is no or there is direct competition between them. And both cars are No.1 and No.2 in Japan's GT race. However, when European experts talk about the exotic car from Japan, they often refer NSX as their choice and recognize NSX as the real competitor with Ferrari 355 (and 360 now) and Porche 911.

Alas, maybe, what Honda need to do is to improve overall package for NSX. Honda need to more stuff inside NSX without sacraficing its performance, reliabilty and price. Both Ferrari and Porche are top representation of luxury and speed. Perhaps, this where Honda should be going for the next NSX. About NSX's engine and drivetrain, yeah, the 3.5 i-VTEC engine is definitely sweet and I like the mid-engine, rear-drive layout and uniqueness so much!!
Old 08-11-2002, 04:42 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by fastball
Listen, folks....... the NSX is NOT going $40,000 down in price, and Honda is NOT making a V8 for anything. You want an NSX that badly, buy a 1992 model.... you can probably find one for 35 grand. But how can anyone fault the price of the car to begin with.... it's hand built from the ground up, the ENITRE DASHBOARD is trimmed in leather with hand stitching, and every part is precision crafted, hand sanded, honed and tested a hundred times for quality. It's pretty much built in the vain of a Rolls Royce, for a third of the price! The fact that it is an exotic car with amazing quality and reliability underscores the $90,000 price tag, and after you think of how the car is built, you ask "only 90 grand? Wow, what a bargain!" Putting things into perspective makes the car that much more amazing.
Yes, its a great value for a hand built car. I rather have it not so hand built, and cost less. I think the NSX should be the price of a Porsche 911.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:04 AM
V12Power

Originally posted by Helmethead
I would still see the new NSX to be still mid engine and rear drive. After all, Honda still can make some good MR car like NSX and S2000.
The S2000 is Front Engine RWD.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by V12Power

The S2000 is Front Engine RWD.
Well, your both right. It's actually a mid engine, but the engine is in the front. The entire mass of the engine to sits behind the centerline of the front axle.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:10 PM
RavenLude

Last I checked the Pilot, Odyssey, MDX, TL, and CL used either a
3.2 liter SOHC or a 3.5 liter SOHC.
I'm saying the next NSX will use a bigger displacing V-6, like the one in the Pilot or TL-S for example, but utilize a DOHC.

With the price of the new 350Z the next Supra will be around $35k and all I said was I heard it would use a V-8.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:47 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by yianni64

Yes, its a great value for a hand built car. I rather have it not so hand built, and cost less. I think the NSX should be the price of a Porsche 911.
I think it would loose some of its luster and performance if it were built on assembly line. They'd have to use something other than aluminum for the body, as aluminum is tedious and needs the precision of hand shaping and molding to make the contours. I've read of fender benders actually TOTALING the car because the tallent and tools required to repair that car are few and far between (you need a tungsten gas welder for aluminum, most body shops don't even have one), with the possibility of someone having to ship the vehicle somewhere in another state for body work. If you use more common metals for the body, you add weight, loose performance.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:44 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by fastball

I think it would loose some of its luster and performance if it were built on assembly line. They'd have to use something other than aluminum for the body, as aluminum is tedious and needs the precision of hand shaping and molding to make the contours. I've read of fender benders actually TOTALING the car because the tallent and tools required to repair that car are few and far between (you need a tungsten gas welder for aluminum, most body shops don't even have one), with the possibility of someone having to ship the vehicle somewhere in another state for body work. If you use more common metals for the body, you add weight, loose performance.
It's so expensive to insure because of that. Thing is, it still weighs more than a 911. I think its cuz of the chassis and like how its has a huge frame, or something. I dunno. I dont care if its80k or 90k, i cant afford either.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:13 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

If Honda were to put a V8 in the NSX it will probably not be a mid engine anymore...rather it would be either a front or rear. A V* would simply be to big to mount in the middle of the car. I do see Honda's next series of V6s being DOHC though...it would be a very likely progression for them. This too would be successful and they could use variations of them for the next 10 years or so. If any car in the lineup is to receive a V8 from Honda it will be the RL or the RLs replacement...but even after saying that, and as much as many people would like...a production V8 from Honda is very unlikely anytime soon. I would like, and anticipate Honda doing so, is to put IMA in the next RL and NSX...increasing power and torque and also gas mileage. But then again that will only add weight to those cars and I like the NSX being light. Plus the NSX is 8? years old and is still a unique car that can compete with higher priced models from other manufactureres. Interesting that there is no other Japanes company that makes a car like the NSX...they are all European.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:47 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by DVPGSR
If Honda were to put a V8 in the NSX it will probably not be a mid engine anymore...rather it would be either a front or rear. A V* would simply be to big to mount in the middle of the car. I do see Honda's next series of V6s being DOHC though...it would be a very likely progression for them. This too would be successful and they could use variations of them for the next 10 years or so. If any car in the lineup is to receive a V8 from Honda it will be the RL or the RLs replacement...but even after saying that, and as much as many people would like...a production V8 from Honda is very unlikely anytime soon. I would like, and anticipate Honda doing so, is to put IMA in the next RL and NSX...increasing power and torque and also gas mileage. But then again that will only add weight to those cars and I like the NSX being light. Plus the NSX is 8? years old and is still a unique car that can compete with higher priced models from other manufactureres. Interesting that there is no other Japanes company that makes a car like the NSX...they are all European.
Try like 11 years old. Anyways, the 360 Modena is a mid-engine V8. And it weighs less than the NSX. But it cost almost twice as much and isnt much faster. I've never seen NSX vs. 360, but a NSX does kill a 355 on the drag strip.

Anyways, I bet you they are working on the NSX right now. If the release of the NSX or S2000 taught me anything, theyll take a good 4-5 years to design and test the thing.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:52 AM
asianautica

The Ferrari 355 does 0-60 in 4.6 sec, 0-1/4 mile in 13 sec, 0-1 mile in 31.8 sec.
The Ferrari 360 does 0-62 in 4.5 sec, 0-1/4 mile in 12.6 sec, 0-1 mile in 22.9 sec.
I've seen time slip of the NSX doing anywhere between 13.3 to 14 sec. This is not mag. time so I don't know if it can get any faster (stock) or not but most of the time, mag tend to get slower time than real owner. So I don't see how you can say the NSX kill the 355 in the drag strip.

Quick Reply: 2003 NSX 4.0l VTEC V8