Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

> > > Heater controls... < < <

Old 09-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
I turn my A/C on (which forces the compressor on) and full heat for about 5 minutes. I also spray the radiator and throttle body with water.
I was actually thinking if a custom radiator water spray set-up would actually be of some use(for extended track periods let's say). Kind of like an intercooler water sprayer but not...

It has higher poseur value than it does in helping cool the engine, but it's just a thought

Shingo
Old 09-19-2002, 06:57 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Perhaps you could fill your windsheild washer fluid bottle with water and reroute those hoses to the radiator. Then you could do it at your command.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:09 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by exnbp
I meant cooling both when racing and when parked is what I meant sorry for the miscommunication
When I'm racing I turn everything off. Parastic drag will slow your car down. Of course I'm also running aftermarket pulleys too. I turn off everything: stereo (of course), fan, lights, even my cruise control button
Old 09-20-2002, 01:33 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

Hmmm I heard that leaving the heater on full blast is supposed to let the engine stay cool while racing on the track :dunno:
Old 09-20-2002, 08:27 PM
D16ROCKET

Running the heater will pull some heat off the engine but I think with what we are typically running as far as power and the heat generating capabilities of our cars, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

As far as cooling the car after the run.......shoot yeah, blast that heater with the key in the acc position, and every now and then crank the engine over for a short period to cycle the coolant through the radiator. Also, do the smart thing and put a constant on switch to your fan. That is by far the easiest way to make your car run cooler. And while we are on the subject of coolant, make sure you are bypassing your throttle body coolant inlet thingee. You guys might be able to explain better.

As far as the water mister for the radiator and crap, probably not as efficient as the NOS nozzles you see spraying down intercoolers but I cant imagine it hurting.......so why not. Pack some ice up in there and blast away.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:19 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Did you ever race in 95 degree weather with 95% humidity? You don't even want to even add more heat to the cabin