Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

HAN, school me on...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HAN, school me on...

Grills, the kind you cook on. My lady's birthday was today and I had no idea what to get her. She is currently out of state so that bought me some extra time, and I think I've decided on a grill. She has been wanting one ever since she got her own place.

We love to cook, but her kitchen isn't the greatest set up.. but we definitely love grilling, and now she has the space to do so on her back cement slab.

So it's come down to gas or charcoal. What's better? I'm looking to spend no more than a couple hundred, with $250 kinda being the ballpark. I have no idea if this is a good range or not, obviously less is better.

I'd like to be able to surprise her with it this weekend, in conjunction with a nice day out.. perhaps bring her home to a nice cookout in the evening.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

After reading guides and reviews, I'm kinda leaning towards this Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill. AmazingRibs.com seems to praise it as far as charcoal goes, and seems that with a few accessories, it'd be the perfect grill for our needs. This Weber seems nice with its extras, but don't think I can justify $300.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one that I have always wanted because if you aren't needing huge grill space and grilling a couple items just fire up the smaller side and boom! Need more? Use both sides.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=192815

I for one would LOVE to do charcoal, but it isn't feasible and takes a lot of time to use especially if you are just doing a few items.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
BetterBob
Nobama

My friend has a two sided Charcoal/Propane grill with a side burner on it. He uses it all the time. It's awesome because you can charcoal when you want, propane when you want, and the side burner is perfect for deep frying fish.

I think when i saw the one he has at Home Depot it was in your price range, let me look.

Found it, $300.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

Last edited by BetterBob; 05-14-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkStarr
After reading guides and reviews, I'm kinda leaning towards this Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill. AmazingRibs.com seems to praise it as far as charcoal goes, and seems that with a few accessories, it'd be the perfect grill for our needs. This Weber seems nice with its extras, but don't think I can justify $300.
that weber is definitely the standard for charcoal grills.

Originally Posted by Draconius
Here is one that I have always wanted because if you aren't needing huge grill space and grilling a couple items just fire up the smaller side and boom! Need more? Use both sides.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=192815

I for one would LOVE to do charcoal, but it isn't feasible and takes a lot of time to use especially if you are just doing a few items.
+1

everyone is going to say charcoal > gas, but honestly, if you're buying your girl a grill, don't get charcoal, i can't imagine she'll want to set it up every time she wants to use it, plus when it's 11:30pm on a saturday night in may and you've had several beverages and you just want one hot dog, it's a lot easier to ignite a gas grill and cook it h:

the smaller component is a cool idea, but i think it's really just for cooking two things at two different temps at the same time.

like i said, i just use one burner on my large grill all the time and leave the other ones off, works fine.

Originally Posted by BetterBob
My friend has a two sided Charcoal/Propane grill with a side burner on it. He uses it all the time. It's awesome because you can charcoal when you want, propane when you want, and the side burner is perfect for deep frying fish.

I think when i saw the one he has at Home Depot it was in your price range, let me look.

Found it, $300.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053
i bought a $200 brinkmann from home depot last year and it's a piece of shit. don't buy one.

it's all wobbly, the tray underneath falls out, it doesn't burn evenly at all, the wheels are also about to snap off. that is going to suck when it hits the ground.

get a good gas grill for easy, everyday use and a small weber, like a 14" for those days when you actually want to use charcoal.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

those new charbroil grills with the infrared look dope.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

http://www.homeqn.com/entry/grill-an...th-hotpot-bbq/
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Tark

This cast iron table top I use is awesome. It was real cheap too.. Like 40. For 2 people it is great cause you don't need much charcoal. Do you have enough room for a lil patio set? If so go with a 2 ppl patio set and this type of set up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1020355...48347512948146
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Saw someone come up and pick up my neighbors charcoal grill this past Monday. Wish I had known they were selling it. :hs: Been wanting a grill.. but I don't want to buy a new one since I rent.. and have pretty much been deciding year by year if I'm staying.

Last edited by Just Janna; 05-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Zackk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were buying for myself, always charcoal. Buying for someone else, always gas unless I know better before hand.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Sweet, thanks for the input. Perhaps I will talk to her about it beforehand. I'd love to learn to properly use a charcoal grill (did a lot of reading last night), but the ease and convenience of gas would be nice. Dual setup would be cool for sure, but keefs suggestion of getting a small Weber on the side sounds like a good plan.