Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Time Travel??

Old 04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Brett2000EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Travel??

After watching some movies the last few weeks I have started to wonder what do you all think about the idea of TIME TRAVEL? Do you think its possiable?

Watching a movie like "Time Cop" can really make you think even if the movie wasnt all that great, If time travl was possaible we would surely need a agency to police time and make sure people arent going back to alter time or profit off it.

Does anyone think time travel can happen?? Maybe not yet but in the future? And does anyone think the govern ment has worked on a progect like this before. Some say the Philadelphia experiment was an attempt at this very thing, when they actually made a ship disapear for a few seconds and the ship reappeared with the people burned and some bruned into the metal of the ship.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:13 AM
pSiRacer92
Banned

I don't hink time travel is possible now, nor will it ever be possible
Old 04-23-2003, 05:21 PM
sman789
Don't touch me I'm tender

If it is then im sure they would have visited the past but there is no recorded history of it....since you have to go through black holes you may end up dead, far away from your actual (coordinates) destination or you go to a different universe andeverything is different than this one

keraaaaaaazy man!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:39 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Back To The Future was probably the most accurate time travel movie. Not that it was believeable by any means, but it could happen in the fashion that was depicted. If time travel were possible, BTTF gives a very good glimpse of what could happen if you interfere with history. Only on a very small scale (in some little town where only one person's family and friends are involved). But nonetheless, mistakes that McFly made threatened his own existance. So take all that in and you could do some serious harm to mankind if you could go back in time. One little mistake could erase your existance, as well as everybody else. Or, as with the sports alminac, if the wrong people get involved with time travel that could destroy everything you know. No, time travel is not possible, but if it were, that trillogy (yeah, parts two and three were really far fetched) sheds light on what the realities could bring.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:59 AM
Odysseus

I believe the Phillidelphia experiment was an early attempt at stealth technology. It involved the creation of a huge electromagnetic field.

Time travel may not be possible as depected in popular movies, however, time is by no means a constant. Experiments have proven this to be true.

Two identical atomic clocks, one on the ground at an airport, the other placed on a 747. When the 747 was flown around the world and returned to the airport, a several second difference between the two clocks was found. Time on the airplane passed more slowly then at the airport.

This may not have any implications regarding the ability to go into the past or the future, but does have important implications regardind space travel.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:35 AM
Brett2000EX

T om eone of the best movies made that cn show the "Issues" with TIME TRAVEL if it was ever able top be done would be TIME COP, and showing the need of a force to basically police TIME and make sure people werent altering or making profit off the past.

But I agree, To m e time is something that I think cant be bent or changed, And if people have come from the future and visited the past of course we wouldnt have any history of it, They woul dnot wanna be seen or known that they are not from a time that they are in. The would dress in the clotes of the era, etc and just observe. I highly doubt they would announce themselves to the people around them.

The Philadelphia experimant though is a very interesting test that was done, what they ACTUALLY where trying to do wont ever be known unless you have access to the info but something did happen that was not expected or planeed, when a whole ship vanishes and then comes back with burned bodies, Whatever they did try I think altered TIME around the ship and did something for sure.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

well.. taking the theory of relativity into account, time slows as you move closer to the speed of light. also, there are theories that go along with that that state that once you pass the speed of light you start to effectively move backward in ralation to a place with constant time. however, there is one major flaw with a practical application of these theorys.

]as an object accelerates closer to the speed of light it's mass increases as well in direct proportion to it's speed. that poses the main problem to practical application. there would have to be a power source to propel the object or craft that could handle the stresses of propelling an exponentially increasing mass.

so, in short, it all works out on paper but unless there is a discovery of a power source that can accomodate that type of load it cannot happen anywhere but on paper.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Brett2000EX

That is a good point, But we dont know what the future discoverys are as far as power sources.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:03 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Plutonium!
Old 04-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by Brett2000EX
That is a good point, But we dont know what the future discoverys are as far as power sources.
you have to take into account that the power source would have to be able to handle an exponentially increasing mass as it get closer to the light barrier. unless we somehow find a way to lessen or nullify the weight issue i don't forsee a safe power source that could handle such a load and move living cargo. also, on that same note, we sould have to find a way to make the acceleration to said speeds survivable. the gravitational force of the craft alone, moving at such speeds would tear our frail human bodies asunder.