Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Job Advice..

Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Job Advice..

Okay, so I pretty much have not had a steady job since February. Back then, I worked at a place called Microsonic, designing hear aid molds and shaping them to spec. I left because of some very hurtful and confusing things going on in my life. Fast forward to today. I am now a Security Officer for Allied Barton and my assignment is an Amazon.com warehouse about 7 miles away.

This morning I got a call from Microsonic asking me to come back. I loved the job. Perks were: M-F 8-5, paid holidays, no uniform, 2 miles down the highway. They also have benefits but none that I need at the moment. Allied Barton is M-F varying shifts, no holidays, 7 miles away and the main HQ is about 20 miles away.

The problem is, I am going for my AA and BA in Criminal Justice, and got this Security job as to get experience in my field. I talked to my father and he suggested going back to Microsonic for a few reasons: I liked it there, they liked me, it paid good, and had a steady shift. Not to mention its closer and come winter, wont have to worry about hills and traffic (I live on a steep hill, so thats the only one I'd encounter, warehouse has many many many hills on the way). He also suggested that since my being a security officer is entry level (think: mall cop), the experience wont be THAT big of a deal since I would be trained in everything during school anyway.

I agree with him and arranged to talk to the boss down at Microsonic soon, but would like some of HAN's input.

Thank you

Last edited by DarkStarr; 10-08-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends are you going to school to be top flight security of the world or are you pursuing something different?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
sinthetiq

Take the job you enjoy.

What type of LE are you considering going into?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Originally Posted by IluvJae
It depends are you going to school to be top flight security of the world or are you pursuing something different?

After I achieve my AA I would like to get into Criminal Investigation. During that I will be pursuing my BA to further my knowledge and to open myself up to more and better opportunities within the field. I can do both of these courses either online or on campus (right now I am planning on getting my academics out of the way online and moving to Palm Coast/Daytona Beach to attend my core classes). After I achieve my BA, I would have the opportunity to purse my Masters at the University of Central Florida if I so desired. It is my pipe dream to someday be a member of the FBI :hs:

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
Take the job you enjoy.

What type of LE are you considering going into?
LE? Something tells me I should know that acronym..
Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
sinthetiq

LE = Law Enforcement

Why FBI?

There are plenty of great 1811 opportunities out there.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by darkstarr
After I achieve my AA I would like to get into Criminal Investigation. During that I will be pursuing my BA to further my knowledge and to open myself up to more and better opportunities within the field. I can do both of these courses either online or on campus (right now I am planning on getting my academics out of the way online and moving to Palm Coast/Daytona Beach to attend my core classes). After I achieve my BA, I would have the opportunity to purse my Masters at the University of Central Florida if I so desired. It is my pipe dream to someday be a member of the FBI :hs:

LE? Something tells me I should know that acronym..
Law Enforcement

If your ultimate goal is being in the FBI i dont think top flight security of the world is going to hinder your progression. Now if you were in some kind of ACTUAL LE then i could see it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Go back to Microsonic. End thrend
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
LE = Law Enforcement

Why FBI?

There are plenty of great 1811 opportunities out there.
True, it's just a goal that I set for myself, obviously it would be a long shot and would take many years to work up to it, but it's something I would like to be involved with.

Law Enforcement

If your ultimate goal is being in the FBI i dont think top flight security of the world is going to hinder your progression. Now if you were in some kind of ACTUAL LE then i could see it.
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Originally Posted by Skelly_GSR
Go back to Microsonic. End thrend
Thinking about it. Microsonic also pays slightly better. My coworkers were a bunch of cool Hungarian people too . They only have two offices, one in Hungary, and one here in Ambridge. They are also the number 2 manufacturer of earmolds :shrug:.

When its all said and done I think I will take my fathers advice and go back to Microsonic. Working locally with a solid work schedule is a huge thing, especially with college starting.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by darkstarr
True, it's just a goal that I set for myself, obviously it would be a long shot and would take many years to work up to it, but it's something I would like to be involved with.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Thinking about it. Microsonic also pays slightly better. My coworkers were a bunch of cool Hungarian people too . They only have two offices, one in Hungary, and one here in Ambridge. They are also the number 2 manufacturer of earmolds :shrug:.

When its all said and done I think I will take my fathers advice and go back to Microsonic. Working locally with a solid work schedule is a huge thing, especially with college starting.
Change a bunch of amazon shipments to my place and i'll cut you in on the profits h:
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Change a bunch of amazon shipments to my place and i'll cut you in on the profits h:
I'm sure I could arrange for a power failure if you wanted to bring a uhaul