Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Is benchpressing...

Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
95LSv
Banded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, just as long as it doesn't deform your heart

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
If you have breathing problems or problems with high blood pressure, you should consult a doctor before lifting. You have to hold your breath in order to get tighter and lift more weight. By holding your breath, you will increase your blood pressure, which is why you need to be careful.
:nervous: I've done that before. Oh crap!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 PM
jconeab
got the nuts

umm i've seriously never heard that before, benching thickening one part of the heart?! wow....

as for tyler's question, yes, sometimes i get sore shoulders and back from benching too. it's because the weight you're using is too much and your other muscles are compensating for the lack of strength in your pectorals
Old 12-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Wikipedia on ventricular hypertrophy

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the case of chronic pressure overload (as through anaerobic exercise, which increases resistance to blood flow by compressing arteries), the chamber radius may not change; however, the wall thickness greatly increases as new sarcomeres are added in-parallel to existing sarcomeres. This is termed concentric hypertrophy. This type of ventricle is capable of generating greater forces and higher pressures, while the increased wall thickness maintains normal wall stress. This type of ventricle becomes "stiff" (i.e., compliance is reduced) which can impair filling and lead to diastolic dysfunction.
Aerobic exercise FTW

Last edited by Kestrel; 12-10-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
95LSv
Banded

^:noes: Wtf! So benching does cause that. Is there a way to avoid it? because I really don't feel like having the cheast of a 9yr old boy h:, maybe I'll resort to pushups.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Buyimports2

Originally Posted by 95LSv
^:noes: Wtf! So benching does cause that. Is there a way to avoid it? because I really don't feel like having the cheast of a 9yr old boy h:, maybe I'll resort to pushups.
Do something aerobic every now and then? Being huge and muscular is so freakin over-rated it's insane. Kids only care how much they can bench press and curl. Where does that get you in life? Freakin nowhere. Having a skill at something is waaay better than being big. It seems hardly anyone is interested in finding the happy medium between being built and actually being in shape. Of all the huge kids in the weight room, who is actually training for something? And least the people doing aerobic workouts are maintaining their health.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 PM
AJē06

Good question. I just did a search and found something interesting:

If you have breathing problems or problems with high blood pressure, you should consult a doctor before lifting. You have to hold your breath in order to get tighter and lift more weight. By holding your breath, you will increase your blood pressure, which is why you need to be careful.

I better change a couple things....

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
Do something aerobic every now and then? Being huge and muscular is so freakin over-rated it's insane. Kids only care how much they can bench press and curl. Where does that get you in life? Freakin nowhere. Having a skill at something is waaay better than being big. It seems hardly anyone is interested in finding the happy medium between being built and actually being in shape. Of all the huge kids in the weight room, who is actually training for something? And least the people doing aerobic workouts are maintaining their health.
YESS.... gotta love that running..
Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
Werd! I started to think why I stopped working out to stay "big". I realized that during my time bulking up, (yearly 20's) I needed strength in the restaurant I worked in. Now... taking pictures, and sitting at a computer, for me to get swollen again would be pure vanity. :rick:
Old 12-10-2006, 09:13 PM
AJē06

Werd! I started to think why I stopped working out to stay "big". I realized that during my time bulking up, (yearly 20's) I needed strength in the restaurant I worked in. Now... taking pictures, and sitting at a computer, for me to get swollen again would be pure vanity. :rick:
I'd have to agree.... NOW for me its alll in my brains and grades... I wont be needing muscle...
BUT, its fun, and I still need to stay in shape...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:16 PM
95LSv
Banded

So you're saying that you can still bench and be on the safe side if you do something aerobic? I play basketball, not so much now since school started
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by 95LSv
So you're saying that you can still bench and be on the safe side if you do something aerobic? I play basketball, not so much now since school started
Yes
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
If the precipitating stress is volume overload (as through aerobic exercise, which increases blood return to the heart through the action of the skeletal-muscle pump), the ventricle responds by adding new sarcomeres in-series with existing sarcomeres (i.e. the sarcomeres lengthen rather than thicken). This results in ventricular dilation while maintaining normal sarcomere lengths - the heart can expand to receive a greater volume of blood. The wall thickness normally increases in proportion to the increase in chamber radius. This type of hypertrophy is termed eccentric hypertrophy.
:werd: on the overratedness of being built