Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Laptop Crew

Old 11-03-2006, 06:47 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop Crew

So my dads laptop he got from best buy has been kicking the bucket. He's been constantly having screen issues and this is the third time he's taken it back for the same problem. So they are giving him a $1500 credit for a new laptop. Im a firm believe of Thinkpad Laptops. But, since Best Buy doesnt sell them, does anybody have any recommendations. He has a 1500 limit but we'd like to walk out of there with some extra Casho...

Thankssssssssssssss
Old 11-03-2006, 06:48 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

hmm, thats nice of them

im waitin for sunday to roll up so i can try to nab one of those $400 compaqs h:
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Yup it's called the "lemon policy"....they would service your item and on the 4th try they can't fix it they give you credit of equal value (latest model if it isn't manufactured anymore). Go with a Vaio, when I worked there that's what I got and no problems yet.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

well what one is he taking back and what does he use his laptop for?

i also am a firm believer in thinkpads...my last 4 laptops all thinkpads and i love them. i avoid compaq machines, i personally have never had luck with them. but ive seen a couple toshiba's that were pretty nice
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinkpad/lenova or Toshiba <-----

I am a firm believer best buy sell used stuff as new.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by rebeld
well what one is he taking back and what does he use his laptop for?

i also am a firm believer in thinkpads...my last 4 laptops all thinkpads and i love them. i avoid compaq machines, i personally have never had luck with them. but ive seen a couple toshiba's that were pretty nice
The one he had is an older HP laptop. Im not sure of the model. He basically uses it to watch DVD's when at work and write up documents and so forth. I noticed alot of there PC's come with Media Center and i hate media center so i'll end up getting the laptop and wiping it completely clean to avoid any unnecessary headaches in the future. Id like it to have at least a gig of ram and built in wireless.

I'm thinking about this one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1157067806867

We'll prolly head to delaware so we can duck out on taxes so after warranty he'll walk off with an extra $500

Last edited by IluvJae; 11-03-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by strykernyc
thinkpad/lenova or Toshiba <-----

I am a firm believer best buy sell used stuff as new.
HUH :thinking:.....You mean refurbished? I worked there for 5 yrs and everything looked new to me.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by v6_accord_jerz
HUH :thinking:.....You mean refurbished? I worked there for 5 yrs and everything looked new to me.
Well i heard the same thing. The reason Best Buys products sell for cheaper is because they are used/refurbed but just made to look like it's new. Like Circuit Shitty products last longer then best buys
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

looks decent enough for what hes doin jae. i say go for it, especially since hes not doing anything that requies high processing power..

are you sure they are going to give u the credit difference in cash afterwards though?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:10 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by IluvJae
Well i heard the same thing. The reason Best Buys products sell for cheaper is because they are used/refurbed but just made to look like it's new. Like Circuit Shitty products last longer then best buys
:shrug: Well I guess I lucked out then, I bought my Vaio there 3 yrs ago and everything is A ok.