Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

oH f*** yEa!!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:02 PM
yellowbastard
Bootyologist (__i__)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oH f*** yEa!!

The transmission on my EK decided to call it quits this afternoon. Just a day or two shy of being sold.

I was a headed back from looking at 4Runners out in Norfolk that I had been scoping out online. Sometimes if I step on the gas too hard it would over rev and not catch gear. I thought that was what happened but it just sat there revving up.

I threw it in neutral and got out to push it into a vacant parking lot. How embarassing. Got out, checked the transmission fluid, etc. Everything looked alright so I let it sit for about 10 minutes and after I cranked her back up it caught gear so I jumped back on the road and got on the highway. About 12 miles later of having to drive it in 3rd gear, I finally got off my exit and coasted home.

Tomorrow I'm going to Honda and getting some ATF so I can flush it when I get home. After reading up on Honda-Tech, I may look at the Linear Solenoid as well (supposedly known problem on 96-00 Civics).

This couldn't have happened at a better time. :sad: If it looks like more time and money invested I may just sell it as is. What do you think I could get for a beat up '99 DX Hatch, running motor, jacked transmission?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:29 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

$7600
Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 PM
yellowbastard
Bootyologist (__i__)

Originally Posted by RicoD
$7600
:chuckles: I wish.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when was the tranny fluid changed last? If its been a good amount of miles chances are that theres friction material in the fluid thats helping the clutches mesh so if you drain it out and put fresh fluid in you might actually not be able to move.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

damn...my '95 accord did the same thing. i would give it gas, but the tranny would go to neutral and then "catch" a gear. i sold it as soon as i discovered that h:
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM
firebane

300,000 on my beast; Input Shaft Bearing and Throw Out Bearing are both whining like a couple of ghosts. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and oil all need to be changed.

I'm waiting for it to kick the bucket.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Civic2Scooby

cap full of brake fluid into the ATF fluid....

also I would rec. using an ATF fluid made by I wanna say GM, I can look for it if you want. It has fine peices of clutch pack material in it, and helps to give worn clutch packs some new grip. Flushing the fluid can actually make it worse, as it will get rid of all the particles of clutch pack that can actually aid. The new fluid will create and even slicker surface.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:46 AM
yellowbastard
Bootyologist (__i__)

Originally Posted by JoePoonani
when was the tranny fluid changed last? If its been a good amount of miles chances are that theres friction material in the fluid thats helping the clutches mesh so if you drain it out and put fresh fluid in you might actually not be able to move.
I haven't. I bought the car in March for $1200, and it was slipping when I bought it. The guy said it was that way for like 10,000 miles prior. h: It seemed as though I could let it sit and cool for a little bit, then it would go in gear fine and thats how I was able to drive it home.
Originally Posted by reechy
damn...my '95 accord did the same thing. i would give it gas, but the tranny would go to neutral and then "catch" a gear. i sold it as soon as i discovered that h:
Nice move! :chuckles:
Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
cap full of brake fluid into the ATF fluid....

also I would rec. using an ATF fluid made by I wanna say GM, I can look for it if you want. It has fine peices of clutch pack material in it, and helps to give worn clutch packs some new grip. Flushing the fluid can actually make it worse, as it will get rid of all the particles of clutch pack that can actually aid. The new fluid will create and even slicker surface.
I never heard of using a GM ATF, but what you're saying makes sense. I found a cheap used transmission online that I may end up getting as well if I can't repair it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
also I would rec. using an ATF fluid made by I wanna say GM, I can look for it if you want.
GM syncromesh...I thought it was only for manual tranny though....
Old 10-23-2006, 07:16 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by yellowbastard
The transmission on my EK decided to call it quits this afternoon. Just a day or two shy of being sold.

I was a headed back from looking at 4Runners out in Norfolk that I had been scoping out online. Sometimes if I step on the gas too hard it would over rev and not catch gear. I thought that was what happened but it just sat there revving up.

I threw it in neutral and got out to push it into a vacant parking lot. How embarassing. Got out, checked the transmission fluid, etc. Everything looked alright so I let it sit for about 10 minutes and after I cranked her back up it caught gear so I jumped back on the road and got on the highway. About 12 miles later of having to drive it in 3rd gear, I finally got off my exit and coasted home.

Tomorrow I'm going to Honda and getting some ATF so I can flush it when I get home. After reading up on Honda-Tech, I may look at the Linear Solenoid as well (supposedly known problem on 96-00 Civics).

This couldn't have happened at a better time. :sad: If it looks like more time and money invested I may just sell it as is. What do you think I could get for a beat up '99 DX Hatch, running motor, jacked transmission?

whats the function of a Linear Solenoid ?
Just wanna know because my little sisters car is seeming a bit strange with tranny shifting.