Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Workout Squad Part Deuce

Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
TTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workout Squad Part Deuce

I need to know what kind of expectations are reasonable for myself, and any help is appreciated!

So, I finally have some free time on my hands and have been going to the gym with a friend for about a month, usually 3-4 times a week. I have been lanky all my life (6'4") and when I started working out I was at 163, give or take a pound. Never been very strong, definitely don't have much of a build to me. Freshman year in college (two years ago) I got my body fat % measured professionally and it was really low (like 3% I think). So anyways, I went to the local GNC and bought some creatine (new kind, no loading needed and take a scoop on your workout days 30 min before you workout) and protein powder and have been taking that since I started working out a month ago. I'm eating pretty healthy for a college kid, bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats in the morning, a small tv dinner usually of chicken/french fries/corn for lunch, either lasagna or spaghetti or the occasional pizza for dinner, then a bowl of cereal right before I go to sleep.

My usual workout is a two day thing, one day is chest (flat, incline, and decline bench, 3 sets of each), biceps, and forearms. The next day is legs (squats, 4 sets, and calf raises, 3 sets), back, shoulder, tricepts, and stomach.

I'm not sure what kind of results I should be expecting to see right now (I know its still pretty early) but I do see some pretty minor changes in my appearance, mostly my shoulders which have always been pretty broad, and some very slight change in my chest. I'm up to about the 167-168 lbs range. My question is, what kind of results should I be expecting, given I am eating healthy, taking creatine and protein? I mean, I still feel pretty weak, for flat chest I do three sets, first set is 12 reps of 95 lbs, second set is 8 reps of 105 lbs, and third set is 4 reps of 115 lbs. I've tried adding 10 lbs to each set and I have some trouble. I talked to the guy at GNC about what I should expect when I was buying it, he said he gained about 10 lbs in 2 weeks going to the gym 5 times a week doing basically what I'm doing now, but I don't put too much thought into what he is saying. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:20 PM
BonzoAPD

Everyone's body is different and reacts to working out differently. Since you said you have always been lanky, not very strong, and not much of a build to you, chances are you are a hard gainer. That means that it takes longer for you to add muscle. Don't be upset if you don't see results right away. Keep at and eventually you will see those results. Different body types react differently. I have the opposite body type and while it is very easy for me to gain muscle, it is likewise that much harder to trim down. We all have our obsticals to overcome but when we do overcome it just makes achieving the goals that much sweeter.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
Everyone's body is different and reacts to working out differently. Since you said you have always been lanky, not very strong, and not much of a build to you, chances are you are a hard gainer. That means that it takes longer for you to add muscle. Don't be upset if you don't see results right away. Keep at and eventually you will see those results. Different body types react differently. I have the opposite body type and while it is very easy for me to gain muscle, it is likewise that much harder to trim down. We all have our obsticals to overcome but when we do overcome it just makes achieving the goals that much sweeter.
Yeah, I can definitely agree with that. The one thing that I have learned this past month is I have to be very patient, earlier I was trying to push myself too hard and put my body in a bad position to do the workout the correct way that I was only going backwards. I definitely am happy with where I am at right now though. I have never been into working out all that much, and a year ago I tried to go a few times but would always skip out on some days, it just never stuck. Right now I'm just happy to be going as consistently as I have been, and being able to make it a habit. Thanks for the reply man.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM
dubcac
I

If you want to gain muscle mass, do lower repetition sets at heavier weights. I would also not work out so many muscle groups each day. Space them out and do at most 2 per day. If you really want a good place to start out, read this: http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/intro.asp

I've been putting on good muscle and strength in the past month on this program. I modified it slightly, and I work out 3 days on, rest for a day, and then start over.

Day 1 - abs, chest, legs
Day 2 - back, shoulders
Day 3 - abs, biceps, triceps

Supplementing is a good idea, but you also need to structure your meals and other nutrition properly. Eat low fat foods, you need good amounts of protein, carbs, complex carbs. I usually take a double protein shake right after I work out, with quick absorbing protein. Sometimes I eat a protein bar in the morning. Other than that, I eat good foods...meats, veggies, drink lots of water, gatorade, etc. Try not to drink much soda. Being on creatine, you need to drink lots of water so as not to dehydrate your muscles. Good luck, and welcome to the squad.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by dubcac
If you want to gain muscle mass, do lower repetition sets at heavier weights. I would also not work out so many muscle groups each day. Space them out and do at most 2 per day. If you really want a good place to start out, read this: http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/intro.asp

I've been putting on good muscle and strength in the past month on this program. I modified it slightly, and I work out 3 days on, rest for a day, and then start over.

Day 1 - abs, chest, legs
Day 2 - back, shoulders
Day 3 - abs, biceps, triceps

Supplementing is a good idea, but you also need to structure your meals and other nutrition properly. Eat low fat foods, you need good amounts of protein, carbs, complex carbs. I usually take a double protein shake right after I work out, with quick absorbing protein. Sometimes I eat a protein bar in the morning. Other than that, I eat good foods...meats, veggies, drink lots of water, gatorade, etc. Try not to drink much soda. Being on creatine, you need to drink lots of water so as not to dehydrate your muscles. Good luck, and welcome to the squad.
Thanks for the advice and the welcome . It's definitely turning out to be much more fun than I thought it could.

I will definitely give that routine a shot, and try doing less reps. I'm curious as to what exercises you are doing though. We have a pretty indepth chest routine compared to our other exercises. If we were doing your routine right now, we would be at the gym for about 25 minutes on the second and third days. For back, we do the thing were your are facing down, your legs and waist are held by supports but your chest is free to travel up and down (can't remember what its called), and we are also on one machine pulling the weight toward us. Shoulders, we just alternate between the dumbells and barbells, lifting the weights over our head. For abs, we basically just do crunches on the decline and when I get home I do some more crunches and leg raises. Bicepts are basically just curls, and for tricepts we do dips and I'm not sure what the other exercise is called, but we lay on a bench with a dumbell, hold it above our face with our arms extended and then go to a position where the weight is behind and below our head, then go back to the first position.

As for my diet... well, I found a site that said you should watch how many calories from carbs, fat, and protein you take in each day, and it should be about 55% calories from carbs, 30% from fat and 15% from protein. I've been keeping up with it and my usual diet is 19% protein, 16% fat, and 65% carbs (I didn't count in the protein shake I drink after I work out, which is 65 grams). I think I am drinking a good amount of water each day, probably around 10-15 cups. I can't remember the last time I had a soda. Again, thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
dubcac
I

Here's what I do:

Abs:
Weighted crunches - 3 sets, 12-15 reps
Weighted side crunches - 2 sets, 12-15 reps
Weighted laying leg raises - 3 sets, 12-15 reps

Chest:
Bench press - warm up, then 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Incline benchpress - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Incline dumbbell press - 2 sets, 4-6 reps
Incline dumbbell fly - 2 sets, 4-6 reps

Legs:
Squat - warm up, then 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Stiff leg deadlift - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Calf raises - 3 sets, 4-6 reps

Shoulders:
Military press - warm up, then 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Front dumbbell raises - 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Side dumbbell lateral raises - 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Seated rear lateral raises - 2 sets, 6-8 reps

Traps:
Upright row - 2 sets, 4-6 reps
Shrugs - 2 sets, 4-6 reps

Back:
Bent over barbell row - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
One hand dumbbell row - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Weighted hyperextensions - 3 sets, 8-10 reps

Triceps:
Close grip benchpress - warm up, then 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Tricep cable pushdown - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Kickbacks - 3 sets, 4-6 reps

Biceps:
Curl bar curls - warm up, then 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Dumbbell curls - 3 sets, 4-6 reps
Hammer curls - 3 sets, 4-6 reps

The idea is to use enough weight that you can do at least 4 reps, and no more than 6.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 PM
TTT

Awesome. Might have to adopt that, really appreciate it. It looks like you are using the same weight for all sets, correct? Are you able to stay consistent with all three sets, seems like you may get alittle worn out by the third set and not be able to use as much weight as your first set, I'm not sure as I've never tried that. For warmups, do you do just very little weight, like just the bar or something a few times, just to get loose?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:40 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by TTT
Awesome. Might have to adopt that, really appreciate it. It looks like you are using the same weight for all sets, correct? Are you able to stay consistent with all three sets, seems like you may get alittle worn out by the third set and not be able to use as much weight as your first set, I'm not sure as I've never tried that. For warmups, do you do just very little weight, like just the bar or something a few times, just to get loose?
For warm up sets, this is the structure I use:

1 x 12 @ weight 1
1 x 10 @ weight 1
1 x 6 @ weight 2 - increased a little
1 x 3 @ weight 3 - increased a little more
1 x 1 @ weight 4 - increased again

Where weight 4 is very close to your normal repetition weight. The first 3 sets are to warm up, done at a mugh lighter weight...you do not want to fatigue your muscle during warm up. The last 2 sets are for weight acclimation, basically letting your body get used to the heavy weight...this will help you lift more weight. How much weight you use to warm up with can only be determined by you...but I usually warm up with about half of the weight of my heavy repetition sets, and add weight for the following warm up sets and weight acclimation sets accordingly.

As for my heavy sets of 4-6 reps, I use the same amount of weight for all 3 sets. I usually rest 2 minutes or so in between sets, and this is enough time to be able to lift the same weight. I struggle a little more to get the last rep up, but I always put it up.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Remember to warm up once for each muscle group.

duck squad member #00003
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

words of wisdom: ask people with proven results h: i dont bother posting questions here...i go straight to meatheads for advice