Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Google Web Accelerator

Old 05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Web Accelerator

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

For firefox and IE - windows only. According to their information page, they're using their own servers as proxies for web content, allowing (ideally) faster transferring of data to your browser, eliminating redundant data by limiting transfers to only data that has been updated since you last visited, prefetching, and compressing before it sends. it probably does more, but that's all they talk about, i think. i don't know what "Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays." means..

i installed it, and it's working in firefox and IE. it has a little meter that tells you how much time you saved, but it can only be a rough estimate. it seems to work, tho. even tho i'm at work and am on a broadband connection of some sort, i can goto sites i know to be slow, and they load up noticably quicker.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

i've had this (not from google though) before. and sometimes it will go awry and keep displaying old content until you disconnect and reconnect.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
IntegraTypeRS

sounds like the technology that those dialup isp are charging for
Old 05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by LT6916
i've had this (not from google though) before. and sometimes it will go awry and keep displaying old content until you disconnect and reconnect.
i'm wondering about that.. hopefully google figured out a way around that. i would imagine they realized the issue while they were developing it.. :dunno:

edit: at least HAN is updating everytime i re-fresh..
Old 05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Originally Posted by IntegraTypeRS
sounds like the technology that those dialup isp are charging for
it is....all it does is just cache info and resend it.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of times they cache images. BUT if you have a server at home you can set it up as a pass through and basically do this yourself...click sidious might have something to say about it if i remember correctly
Old 05-04-2005, 06:34 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Originally Posted by sherwood
alot of times they cache images. BUT if you have a server at home you can set it up as a pass through and basically do this yourself...click sidious might have something to say about it if i remember correctly
:wavey:

Yea, I have a squid proxy on a home sever that really helps a lot with fast webpages. Haven't tried the google one yet, just read about it. But I'll take it for a spin.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying it on the raptop... so far, difference is nominal.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Well... it had a few hickups with tabs and keeping them straight. But it's seemed to fix itself.

As for being a caching proxy, it's about the same as my squid. Not a huge diffrence, I don't think I notice a change.

Pro's... link prefetching! That is that shizbombdigitty right there. Pages load like you are using the back button. Bam, right there.

And the stats are kinda cool too. :rick:

edit: after some further inspection. I find that for sites that I have never been to, googles cache/dns is faster than mine. But for sites that I frequent, mine is much faster.

Wish I could have both.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:23 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by click sidious
Pro's... link prefetching! That is that shizbombdigitty right there. Pages load like you are using the back button. Bam, right there.
i'm curious about how that works. firefox has link pre-fetching built in, although it may not be enabled by default, and web designers have to code prefetching tags into the HTML. if google web accelerator goes beyond that and actually prefetches info from all the links on a page, that would be sweet