Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Basement (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement-2/)
-   -   Google Web Accelerator (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement/187840-google-web-accelerator.html)

mayonaise 05-04-2005 03:51 PM

Google Web Accelerator

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

For firefox and IE - windows only. According to their information page, they're using their own servers as proxies for web content, allowing (ideally) faster transferring of data to your browser, eliminating redundant data by limiting transfers to only data that has been updated since you last visited, prefetching, and compressing before it sends. it probably does more, but that's all they talk about, i think. i don't know what "Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays." means..

i installed it, and it's working in firefox and IE. it has a little meter that tells you how much time you saved, but it can only be a rough estimate. it seems to work, tho. even tho i'm at work and am on a broadband connection of some sort, i can goto sites i know to be slow, and they load up noticably quicker. :cool:

LT 05-04-2005 03:55 PM

i've had this (not from google though) before. and sometimes it will go awry and keep displaying old content until you disconnect and reconnect.

IntegraTypeRS 05-04-2005 03:56 PM

sounds like the technology that those dialup isp are charging for

mayonaise 05-04-2005 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by LT6916
i've had this (not from google though) before. and sometimes it will go awry and keep displaying old content until you disconnect and reconnect.

i'm wondering about that.. hopefully google figured out a way around that. i would imagine they realized the issue while they were developing it.. :dunno:

edit: at least HAN is updating everytime i re-fresh..

LT 05-04-2005 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by IntegraTypeRS
sounds like the technology that those dialup isp are charging for

it is....all it does is just cache info and resend it.

sherwood 05-04-2005 04:05 PM

alot of times they cache images. BUT if you have a server at home you can set it up as a pass through and basically do this yourself...click sidious might have something to say about it if i remember correctly

clickwir 05-04-2005 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sherwood
alot of times they cache images. BUT if you have a server at home you can set it up as a pass through and basically do this yourself...click sidious might have something to say about it if i remember correctly

:wavey:

Yea, I have a squid proxy on a home sever that really helps a lot with fast webpages. Haven't tried the google one yet, just read about it. But I'll take it for a spin.

Nelson 05-04-2005 06:43 PM

Trying it on the raptop... so far, difference is nominal.

clickwir 05-04-2005 06:45 PM

Well... it had a few hickups with tabs and keeping them straight. But it's seemed to fix itself.

As for being a caching proxy, it's about the same as my squid. Not a huge diffrence, I don't think I notice a change.

Pro's... link prefetching! That is that shizbombdigitty right there. Pages load like you are using the back button. Bam, right there. :cool:

And the stats are kinda cool too. :rick:

edit: after some further inspection. I find that for sites that I have never been to, googles cache/dns is faster than mine. But for sites that I frequent, mine is much faster.

Wish I could have both.

mayonaise 05-04-2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by click sidious
Pro's... link prefetching! That is that shizbombdigitty right there. Pages load like you are using the back button. Bam, right there. :cool:

i'm curious about how that works. firefox has link pre-fetching built in, although it may not be enabled by default, and web designers have to code prefetching tags into the HTML. if google web accelerator goes beyond that and actually prefetches info from all the links on a page, that would be sweet :D