Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

drugs = good music

Old 09-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Tobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benjamin
It sounds like you're trying to say that drug use causes good music. I disagree. Maybe you're trying to justify your own drug use or abuse.

I don't dispute that lots of great musicians used and abused drugs, but that doesn't mean that drug abuse is good for you.
I don't think he implied that he was a drug user, or that drug use leads to good music. Just that many talented musicians are. There are some talentless hacks out there that are into drugs too. Creative people tend to be adventurous, willing to try things out. That is what I think leads to it.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:19 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by Tobra
I don't think he implied that he was a drug user, or that drug use leads to good music.
The title of this thread is "drugs = good music." He isn't implying it so much as he comes right out and says it.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:53 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, I don't use any drugs but alcohol and occationally caffeine (although that wasn't always the case). secondly, i'm not advocating or suggesting anything, just pointing out something I noticed.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:03 PM
lttletimmy

See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal ****ing high on drugs, man.

-Bill Hicks
Old 09-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

he's saying that some of the best music has come from musicians that used and/or abused drugs. he's not saying that non drug users can't produce good music. i know what he's sayin tho.. sometimes i'll think about the music i really like and think man, they all did drugs.. not that it matters.. meh.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:17 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
:edit: @ benjamin

i sure as hell do. hard bop actually has a higher rate of drugies than rock, IMO.

lets see: Larry Corryell, thelonius monk, miles davis, jymie merritt, cliff brown, max roach, horace silver....

are you kidding me?
you forgot Charlie Parker

however, music isn't the only field.... All spectrums of art have influences from drugs... Movies, paintings, etc.

consider american indians.... They used to take shit. It was purly spiritual.

the only thing that makes drugs 'bad' is the public perception of them. I mean, shit, you can abuse anything. Food, working out, driving fast, etc.

excess is the devil....

with that said, I'm about to talk to mary :bandito:
Old 09-25-2004, 11:53 PM
revhappy420

Originally Posted by Tobra
Creative people tend to be adventurous, willing to try things out.
:werd: i think that does explain it. creative people just wanna experience more from life, being on a different plateau or planet i also think small amounts of certain drugs, especially da ganja can enhance that creativism and work for you, but excess of anything isn't good and once they feel like the high from lesser drugs isnt doing much anymore because they get immune to it, they feel like they have writers block and wanna experience an even greater rush, and it screws them over in the end. thats why ill stick to moderate amounts of mary jane, i know my limits
Old 09-26-2004, 01:38 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by revhappy420
:werd: i think that does explain it. creative people just wanna experience more from life, being on a different plateau or planet i also think small amounts of certain drugs, especially da ganja can enhance that creativism and work for you, but excess of anything isn't good and once they feel like the high from lesser drugs isnt doing much anymore because they get immune to it, they feel like they have writers block and wanna experience an even greater rush, and it screws them over in the end. thats why ill stick to moderate amounts of mary jane, i know my limits
good point, reminds me of this one guy in my study group, he can draw like a mad man and read poetry but smokes every weekends, lol.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

druggies
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by benjamin
You're implying that the only music that is good is music that you listen to. Do you like jazz?
I don't know shit about jazz... But i know a lot about drugs! and your wrong Marijuana was a important part of Jazz music! In fact drug have always been a important part of the Entertainment industry! Anslinger once had a the Treasury department of narcotics control the entertainment industry thinking that it would be a major step in reducing narcotic usage in the US.