Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Wacky new F1 regulations

Old 04-23-2004, 09:56 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wacky new F1 regulations

The Federation Internationale de L'Automobile, the governing body that rules Formula One, has announced its intention to overhaul the F1 formula in an effort to reduce costs and increase competition.

On April 23, the FIA published its preliminary proposals for adoption in 2008, the first season after the Concorde Agreement (the document that governs the series) expires. The proposals include a raft of new technical regulations, which would have a cataclysmic effect on the European motorsports industry. If adopted, they would make redundant most of the teams' current investments in technology, materials, electronics, aerodynamics and tyres.

The FIA and F1 team principals will discuss the proposals at a special meeting on May 4 in Monaco. Unanimous agreement to the changes is not required by the FIA when three years notice is given. The FIA then intends to get the new F1 ratified by the World Motor Sport Council at its next meeting on June 30, and to publish the final regulations before December 31, 2005, in time for the 2008 season.

The engine formula would be based on a naturally aspirated, 32-valve, 2.4-litre V8, with a standard ECU (under FIA control), and strict controls over materials and manufacturing processes. There would be bans on variable-geometry inlet and exhaust systems, and ultra-high-pressure direct-injection fuel systems. Each engine would have to endure for two entire race meetings.

Minimum chassis weight would be reduced by at least 50kg to eliminate ballast (and thus, says the FIA, to reduce kinetic energy in an accident).

The cars would be equipped with a manual gearbox (with an electronic rev-limiter to prevent over-revs) and a manually operated clutch. Electronically controlled differentials would be banned, as would power steering systems. Carbon-carbon braking systems would be eliminated and replaced with ferrous discs, pads and calipers.

The FIA will publish a combined tyre and aerodynamic package before December 31, 2004, to achieve the FIA's specific targets for cornering speeds, straight-line speeds, grip and braking performance. For the moment, the FIA has proposed reducing tyre (wheel) width at the front and increasing it at the rear, to allow weight distribution consistent with no ballast and to give greater aerodynamic drag. The total of the front widths and the rear widths would stay the same as under today's regulations.

There are also new sporting regulations in the FIA's package, including a provision for all the cars to be held under parc fermé conditions when not on-track throughout each race meeting, and a total ban on spare cars. A drastic restriction on private testing, limited by mileage rather than the number of days, would be enforced by means of the FIA-fitted, sealed ECU.

The FIA also wants a single tyre supplier, which would supply only two (identical) sets of tyres for qualifying and racing. No tyre changes would be permitted during race pitstops, except in the event of punctures, but refuelling would stay.

The FIA also wishes to find a method to ensure that all the cars run during Friday practice, possibly to include a qualifying session. The FIA will discuss a new qualifying system with the commercial rights holder (Bernie Ecclestone), broadcasters, teams and race promoters. If cars continue to qualify with race levels of fuel, the FIA would consider whether the amount of fuel in the refuelling rig before each race should be fixed annually in the sporting regulations, with free fuel loads in the car for qualifying and the race (this to encourage fuel efficiency).

The need to increase the F1 starting grid to the maximum 24 cars (12 two-car teams) is central to the FIA's thinking. There would be no restriction on the sale, loan or exchange of chassis and components between the teams or to new entrants. The FIA would consider if constructors points should be scored by a maximum of four specified cars (two teams) per constructor, to encourage the major teams to make cars and information available to new teams.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=05557524

Some of that stuff seems okay to me, but I have two glaring problems: the sealed ECU and ditching the sequential transmission.

The sealed ECU limits the creativity with which engines can be built and tuned. Unless the teams are allowed to program their own fuel and ignition maps, they're basically going to be stuck all building a spec engine. What's the point in having Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, Honda and whoever else, all building essentially the same motor?

The sequential transmission is just kinda cool.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:23 AM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Its going to be too much like cart now. I think with the current rules it is getting better. Teams are putting more money and time into it. Yes schumacher still dominates but teams like Bar/honda and renault are starting to compete with ferrari and bmw. I mean the honda team just qualified 1 and 2.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:29 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Well we do have at least 3 more seasons after '04 until the new rules take effect.

I thought the same thing about it being more like CART now.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
cowanpp
Card carrying badass

Default new rule

Also, any driver that wins more than one race in a row will have 75 pounds added to his car for each additional race he wins. He will also be docked in salary so as to make it less desirable to win more than one race. I mean, we want competition, you know. Those rules suck super ass. If you don't want to spend the money to compete, don't compete. Or, in the alternative, start your own less competitive racing league and only allow a certain annual budget or impose those lame ass rules in your own league.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:57 AM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Those rules are uber ghey

I miss the old school F1.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:58 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by txhatch
Its going to be too much like cart now. I think with the current rules it is getting better. Teams are putting more money and time into it. Yes schumacher still dominates but teams like Bar/honda and renault are starting to compete with ferrari and bmw. I mean the honda team just qualified 1 and 2.
Honda 1-2 in qualifying... holy shit you can see the future. Can you tell me if my wife will be a hot blonde Swedish supermodel. It was 1-2 in free practice 2, which means nothing because the other teams could be running on a full fuel load.

There are current limits on spending F1, and the one engine rule is good. Sequential gearboxes should stay because F1 is the pinnacle of motor sports with technology. 24 cars... who will be the 2 new teams? Its hard being a new team in F1 because you will get walked over. Schumacher dominates because he is a good driver and Ferrari finally worked out all their glitches, remember in the 90s when Ferrari pretty much didn't do anything at all in F1.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:22 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Don't forget that Schuey won in '94 and '95 when he was driving for Benetton/Renault.

As for the two new teams, I have this feeling that BMW may start building their own chassis instead of just supplying engines to Williams, and Williams will continue to make chassis and find another engine supplier.

Perhaps more likely, some more teams like Sauber, Jordan and Minardi will come along.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
axemansean

Added 2 cents...

F1 added TCS, power steering, etc to help the cars because they are very difficult to drive. It will be sad if those rules are enforced because it will bring to an end to one of the greatest sporting spectacles. Schumi wins because he is the best, Ferrari wins because they have taken a good design and made it better instead of making drastic changes each year. Dumbing down the series to make it more equal is like getting rid of the smartest kids in a class. Force the smaller teams to work better, Toyota has the largest budget and I don't see that $$$ value making them champions.

Adding a clutch and H box will be terrible, paddle shifters allows the drivers to have their both hands on the wheels. Don't want driver's going off on sharper corners because the car is uncontrollable with one hand with no power steering. Please I don't want to see any more horrific wrecks from the late 70s and 80s and 90s when technology was bad. The cars are getting faster and better and thats the point that needs to be looked at. Giving a universal tire is dumb... hey why not just give everyone the same damn thing like Toyota Atlantic.

I watch F1 because it is still the best form of racing, those changes may make NASCAR slightly more intersting.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:16 PM
ED9man
driver

Why would they switch to clutch manual? Could it still have 7 speeds?
As well as not having both hands on the wheel that opens up the big possibility of a misshift. The sealed ECU would take out a huge part of the competitiveness of building the engines. Why not just mandate one engine while you're at it?