Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

I got a speeding ticket

Old 02-28-2004, 11:38 PM
S2Kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a speeding ticket

I was driving on this two lane mainstreet at like 11:00 pm. I was accelerating fast but I didn't think I exceeded 45 mph. I didn't really look at my speedometer. So then near the end of the street, this cop comes out of no where and flashes his lights. I make a left turn and pull over to the right.

The cop asks me for license and registration etc and I give it to him. He says I was speeding and he said he spotted me going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. I pleaded guilty and said I probably was driving fast but I didn't think I went 50 mph. He says I shouldn't be driving that fast on city streets but if I drove on the freeway I could take it up to 65 or even 70 mph.

I say sorry, it won't happen again officer and then I asked if I could recieve a warning instead of a citation. Officer doesn't give me a straight answer, instead he says I'll just drop the speed from 50 mph to 45 mph on the citation. He handed me to the ticket and I went on my way home.

After I was home for about an hour, the same officer who gave me the ticket rings on the door bell at my house at midnight and asks for me. My mom answered the door and told me there was police officer looking for me. So I went to see what was going on. Officer says sorry to bother you but I forgot to have you sign the bottom of the citation slip. He says there would be a warrant out for your arrest if you didn't sign this. So I signed it and then he leaves my house and says have a nice day and I'm like yeah you too.

My question is, what would you do about this citation? I'm thinking of fighting it and telling the judge in my defense that the officer might've been careless about rating my speed. Because, afterall, he was careless about my signature on the ticket. And he also bothered me at midnight at my doorstep to sign the thing.

Btw, in the "Radar" box on the citation, there wasn't a speed inputed in. The officer didn't catch me with the radar.

Well, let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

not really a clue what to do.. lawyer?

but.. if you got arrested, for not signing it.. i think you could get out of that ticket right quick, and get that officer in some trouble.. maybe?

edit: kinda late for it.. but i was just thinking
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 AM
s2ktonv

When you go to court explain the whole situation and what unfolded that night. That's all you can really do up until you see a judge:dunno:
Old 02-29-2004, 06:40 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

You can always ask to see the distance at which he clocked you. Every radar and laser gun police use show your velocity and the distance from the gun you were at the instant the speed was read. If he used radar, he should also have the frequency of the gun, and the calibration certification. If they don't have the distance and speed written on the ticket, bring it up in court and you might have a good chance at getting off.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:54 AM
axemansean

15 over and you got caught and you are bitching. Geez can't you admit you are wrong and deal with the consequences.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:57 AM
supermac88
not OG but Old School

Dude if he didn't have you sign it you can't get in trouble matter of fact that ticket would have been thrown out.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:43 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by supermac88
Dude if he didn't have you sign it you can't get in trouble matter of fact that ticket would have been thrown out.

I believe it's the opposite. Just like the cop said, except it would probably be a bench warrant.

Kevin check this site out! My friend got out of 100+ mph ticket twice!

www.ticketassassin.com

the best part is you can use it over and over again, after you pay the one time fee
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 AM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by DakarM
I believe it's the opposite. Just like the cop said, except it would probably be a bench warrant.

Kevin check this site out! My friend got out of 100+ mph ticket twice!

www.ticketassassin.com

the best part is you can use it over and over again, after you pay the one time fee
Thanks everybody.

Rick, I was checking it out last night. It's neat. I think I will contest my citation by written declaration. Well I also know a lawyer who works for the gov't. I believe he's a public defender so I'll ask him how to approach this situation too.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:39 AM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by axemansean
15 over and you got caught and you are bitching. Geez can't you admit you are wrong and deal with the consequences.
Yeah I'm bitching alright. So sue me. h: