Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

take a listen

Old 02-15-2004, 05:07 PM
vti-crx
JDM Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take a listen

Hey,

Im in a local Dallas TX hard rock group, Our name is Blackout and we have just gotten our hands on two new singers and were able to record one song so far, (still have 15 others to record) Please log onto our website and let us know what you think.

http://www.blackoutband.com <--main site
http://www.blackoutband.com/frustrated.mp3 <-- Mp3 if you dont feel like looking at the website
http://www.blackoutband.com/demo <-- please feel free to leave comments on our message board, you dont have to register to post.

Thanks for checking us out! be honest about waht you think

THANKS!

-John David

PS: sorry for lack of website content at this time, we havent been able to take promo pics or get all the bios up as of now.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:16 PM
axemansean

Being the HAN resident musicholic I'll give my $0.02 for what its worth...

Intro - good but a tad bit too long for my liking
Vocals - a little more clarity would help and your singer is clipping a few times. I am a big fan of death metal vocals, but the synchronous clean and metal ones don't really go well. Try and do a After Forever or Nightwish style deal... either start of clean with a death metal interlude. Or start of heavy and do alternates.
Guitar - good but where is the SOLO... SOLO is key for the type of music you are trying to put out. If you can't solo too well add a piano interlude like in Dimmu Borgir's In death's embrace. Its a very heavy song but the piano part makes it even heavier.
Bass - good and heavy
Drums - like them... add some double bass for effect on the heavier sections
Lyrics - need a little more content

Its very good for a demo... the ending needs to be better. Almost seems like you guys decided ok time to stop.

My $0.02... if you want more advice PM me.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
axemansean

Adding on:

Some bands you might want to listen to for ideas

Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of filth
Bastardized
Corrosion of conformity
Nightwish
After Forever
Paradise Lost
Opeth
Old 02-15-2004, 05:20 PM
ADRteg

i like, definately a fan of music like this, i agree with axemansean, but not necessarily with the solo, at least not in all songs, double bass would be nice, especially to add more excitement to the intro
Old 02-15-2004, 05:23 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by ADRteg
i like, definately a fan of music like this, i agree with axemansean, but not necessarily with the solo, at least not in all songs, double bass would be nice, especially to add more excitement to the intro
I made a change on the solo point I was making... you need some sort of an interlude... maybe a piano section like Opeth or Dimmu Borgir or After Forever does. They seldom do solos but doing an interlude gives the song a better feel.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
ADRteg

agreed
Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by ADRteg
agreed
Thread hijacking... You seem to have the same taste for heavy music as I do... got any obscure bands I should check out. Looking for something with dual vocals... clean and heavy.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Like Sean said, the intro was a little too long before the vocalist came in. I also agree that more content needs to be put into the lyrics as well. Now, like Sean is with guitars and such, I'm more of a vocalist person. (5+yrs exp)The lead vocalist needs to learn to control his breathing. He was constantly going flat. The thing that he is lacking is that he's not singing from his diaphram, which is essential in utilizing your vocal range. If he can work on that, he'll definitely create a better presence within the music.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:50 PM
vti-crx
JDM Power

Some bands you might want to listen to for ideas

Dimmu Borgir CHECK
Cradle of filth CHECK
Bastardized
Corrosion of conformity CHECK
Nightwish
After Forever
Paradise Lost
Opeth CHECK
ill give theese other guys a try and see what i think! thanks for all the responses! keep em coming, oh btw about the double bass. we hav plenty in our other songs, this was one of the earlier songs we wrote i should just post some DB drums lol :angry: thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by Derek
Like Sean said, the intro was a little too long before the vocalist came in. I also agree that more content needs to be put into the lyrics as well. Now, like Sean is with guitars and such, I'm more of a vocalist person. (5+yrs exp)The lead vocalist needs to learn to control his breathing. He was constantly going flat. The thing that he is lacking is that he's not singing from his diaphram, which is essential in utilizing your vocal range. If he can work on that, he'll definitely create a better presence within the music.
Very well put... Derek might be able to give your vocalist some good exercises.

Quick Reply: take a listen