Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Need serious and honest advice. Please help.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need serious and honest advice. Please help.

Ok people, I'll try to make this as short as possible cause theres no real way of putting this into cliff notes...this request for advice will mostly pertain to HAN users 23 years and older.

First heres my situation: I'm 19 turning 20 in a few months, I am currently in college (my second school after withdrawing from IUP), neither of my parents went to college, nor any of my aunts and uncles or my g/f's parents. And I like to think they're all pretty well off and have ascertained some level of success in their lives. But yet all of them push me to go to school.

My problem is that I have no clue as to what direction to take in my life. I don't know what kind of career I want to pursue, wether I want to go to college or not. I want to be able to wake up every morning and love what I do, maybe its not too realistic but it is my dream. As of current, I hate college I mean I dread going and having to do the stupid amount of work required. Maybe I'm lazy I don't know. I'm not asking you guys to tell me what I should do in life, what I am asking is for honest advice.

I have seen plenty of people do so well without college, it makes me wonder why I am putting myself into so much debt, when 70-80% of people don't end up doing what they went to school for.

Here are some questions you fokes can give me advice for:

1.) Did you or did you not go to school?
2.) If not, are you happy with your decision? If so, was it worth it?
3.) Would you change whatever your decision was (go to school/not go to scool) now that you are in the "real life" working?
4.) For those that didn't finish college, what types of careers are you pursuing? Are you satisfied with the success you've attained/ income level/ quality of life?

Sorry its so long but anybody who takes the time and reads through it and gives me some useful advice would be so incredibly appreciated you guys don't even know. Please be honest and any suggestions you may have other than what I specifically asked, please feel free to reply as well..

thanks again HAN... I lub joO :kiss:
Old 11-04-2003, 10:53 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) i went to school
2) it's not worth the money i now owe
3) i would probably have stuck with school the first time, or... i would have gone for something else.

i believe that college isn't for everyone. at first, it wasn't for me. i say figure out what you love to do. anything. whatever it is. and find a way to get paid for it. there's always a way.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM
BonzoAPD

What your going through is very common. I went to school, loved being in school but hated the work. Who does like doing hw? No-one I can think of.

I love my job. I know I would never have it if I didn't have my degree. I work for IBM. I never thought I would be doing the stuff I am doing and never wanted to do this or even thought about it. It just feel into my lap. These opportunities don't happen very often without a college degree. You can't get a job at a big corporation like this without a college degree anymore unless you start at the mailroom or something. There are plenty of executives here that do not have college educations but they are from a different generation that school was not considered as important as it is now. Now it is so competitive that college is common place and to really get ahead you need grad school. I am in grad school at night while working full time. I am not doing it because I love school, cause I don't. I like what I am learning and I know that it is a means to get me to where I want to go.

If you have any questions, hit me up on aim.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:00 AM
DelSolGirl
-insert witticism here-

Default Re: Need serious and honest advice. Please help.

Originally posted by honda_pilot
3.) Would you change whatever your decision was (go to school/not go to scool) now that you are in the "real life" working?
4.) For those that didn't finish college, what types of careers are you pursuing? Are you satisfied with the success you've attained/ income level/ quality of life?
1) I have done about 1½ years of college
2) I am not happy that I haven't finished, but it wasn't my decision to leave in the first place (parental issues).
3) I am going to go back to school to finish, not only because I want a better job/career/life for myself and my family, but because I feel that going to college can really help expand your horizons.
4) Because I haven't finished college, I feel extremely limited in the avenues I can pursue. That may or may not be the case, but I know I won't be completely satisfied until I have a degree, even if I don't end up in that particular field down the road. At the moment, I am unhappy with my "professional life" -- I have a retarded job that pays terribly and has zero room for growth.

Listen to what everyone is telling you -- finish college. Not liking homework is a stupid reason to drop out. You don't have to declare a major right now. Take a variety of classes, even ones that you think aren't in the right direction, like art or foriegn languages, to find what your passion is. You may surprise yourself. Besides, wouldn't you rather spend 4 years pursuing a degree in something you're truly interested in than slaving away, day after day in a mindless crap job that may pay decently, but you completely hate? I know I would.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Daniel

I did not go to school. I never really wanted to in the first place. I distanced myself from that option when my guidance counceler's required us to attend a meeting with them one on one to discuss my college future. After that I thought to myself, "I don't need college to do what I want to do," and I was right.

I now have HAN and some excellent contacts in the industry, and HAN is going places, and it's also helping me launch a local shop here in Charlotte, and I did it all without the help of college.

I have given some thought to taken some small business courses just to get the hang of what it takes to run a successful company, but I haven't pursued that yet. I'm too busy on HAN right now. I catch on pretty quick to a lot of things, so if there is a need to attend college sometime in the future, it will be because I really need to.

Besides, the whole college thing just doesn't appeal to me at all. Partying all night long, sleep through class, fail miserably, only to have student loans to pay off for years to come........nah, not for me! :nono:
Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

here read this:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...hreadid=105761
Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

flipped: that is my concern, that I shall exit shool get a job probably doing something I don't really enjoy. Then when the monthly statement from citibank comes asking for some of its money back I borrowed for school, I'll be stressed and dissapointed. I know what I love, simply put...cars. I know everyone on this board might say the same, but in honesty ask anyone who really truly knows me as a person. I've grown up around cars and a passion for them. I've been driving since I was 10 years old and most everyone respects me as a driver. I have literally a library of car magazines dating back to when I was 8-9 years old. I only wish I could wake up every morning knowing I'll be working somehow with cars...not nessecarily fixing/engine stuff but generally be in the presence of cars in a business dealing with cars.

My great concern is that I cannot do this and make the kind of living I want to make. I'm not asking for like $100k + annual salary, just enough to live well, have 2-3 nicer cars and decent-sized house. Thats all. I am at a loss as to the direction to take.

I've looked into WyoTech, but worry when I come out I won't be tuning cars, or building performance race engines, but a grease monkey fixin other peoples problems...which i don't want to do. I want to be respected...

sorry I'm ranting again....can't help it....please help.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
DelSolGirl
-insert witticism here-

Originally posted by honda_pilot
I'm not asking for like $100k + annual salary, just enough to live well, have 2-3 nicer cars and decent-sized house. Thats all. I am at a loss as to the direction to take.

I've looked into WyoTech, but worry when I come out I won't be tuning cars, or building performance race engines, but a grease monkey fixin other peoples problems...which i don't want to do. I want to be respected...
I hate to be a downer.. but you have to start somewhere. Unless you are extremely lucky, no one is going to just hand you a perfect, $50K+ career.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never finished High School

I am not happy with my decision but at the time it was what circumstances forced upon me.

I would change things and go back to school, the pay rates I get are different than if I had graduated from High School or had gone to some serious college studies. I did some college so its not like I havent studied things and gone to school but I could have done more along the way....especially since I really like to learn.

My quality of life is good but for different reasons and school had nothing to do with that.

Level of success.....I tend to measure my success in personal accomplishments not neccesarily what others see as success all the time, however in light of your question I do wish I had a full time career instead of just jobs.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

1. I am currently in school, will finish up in a year or so.
2. Best decision I could have made. Yeah it is costly, but I have forged a lot of business connections which will help me after graduation.
3. Possibly choose a cheaper school, but my university offers 3 coops (internships) which have taught me SOOOO much and helped me find the career that I want to pursue.