Notices

posi

Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
DeadZero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default posi

I have an 02 s2000 and i was wondering if the car has posietraction. i looked at many sites and they do not provide that information. For those of u who dont know what posie is IT is when Both Rear tires spin at the same time, Cars who dont have posie have only one tire spinning. thanks for answers
Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that's not at all how it works.

It's called a limited slip differential, and yes the S2000 has one. Positraction was a name given to it by General Motors in the 60's.

"Positraction" uses differential pinions or clutches (there are quite a few different ways of doing this) to transfer power from the wheel that has no traction to the wheel that does have traction - IE, if you're going around a sharp corner and the inside tire begins to spin, it will transfer power to the outside wheel. Or driving in the rain or the snow.

The S2000 has a Torsen limited slip differential. I'm sure you can google that and fine tons of information on how exactly it works.

For a great read, buy the book 'Honda S2000' by Daniel F. Carney.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:14 PM
DeadZero

hmm that would explain the no burnouts lol. how can i turn this slip limmiter off
Old 07-15-2005, 05:01 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by DeadZero
hmm that would explain the no burnouts lol. how can i turn this slip limmiter off
Please buy a Camaro because you don't deserve to own an S2000.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:06 AM
DeadZero

Sure why not, howabout u look for one for me and if u find one for Sale that costs the same price as a s2000 then reply to this. if not dont even waste my time.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Dead: I think he was referring to your lack of comprehension on how a Torsen LSD works and on the characteristics of the F20C motor. The car isn't the best for burnouts, but then, most of us aren't trying to impress 16 year olds anymore so burnouts aren't a big issue. If you want to do a burnout however, just rev the car higher then dump the clutch.

The LSD is not traction control and doesn't prevent burnouts. It's your lack of understanding and ability that is preventing a burnout.

Be forwarned however, you do enough burnouts in an S2000 and you run the increased risk of breaking things, including the diff.

As for a Camaro costing the same as an S2000.. I'm not sure what you are trying to find. A Camaro should cost less than an S2000 used (and new) so you should be able to find one for less than the S2000 so I'm not sure how price is an issue?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:30 AM
DeadZero

about the slip limmiter, i thought u could turn it off like the Z just so i could have burb burnouts, i didnt mean like the ones where ur at the stop light and u do a 2-3 second burnout...i wanna keep my tires. i just wanted to know if it could turn off or not and i didnt know that and im glad to have the information about the whole system because i didnt know any of that on this car. thanks for the info and help and if anyone has anything else to say regarding the lsd system do say more.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

about the slip limmiter, i thought u could turn it off like the Z just so i could have burb burnouts, i didnt mean like the ones where ur at the stop light and u do a 2-3 second burnout...i wanna keep my tires. i just wanted to know if it could turn off or not and i didnt know that and im glad to have the information about the whole system because i didnt know any of that on this car. thanks for the info and help and if anyone has anything else to say regarding the lsd system do say more.
No offense, but do you really own an S2000?

You're confusing a limited slip differential with a traction control system. Totally different things. The trac system in the Z uses the braking and throttle to keep your tires from spinning. It won't help during cornering or any driving maneuver unless you're going out of control.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
DeadZero

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
No offense, but do you really own an S2000?

You're confusing a limited slip differential with a traction control system. Totally different things. The trac system in the Z uses the braking and throttle to keep your tires from spinning. It won't help during cornering or any driving maneuver unless you're going out of control.
yes i do have an s2000, but before i bought the s2000 i did alot of research on a 350z and realized how many problems with it then i moved on to the s2000 and i found one for a really good deal so i havnt had time to research it but i just know some of the basics on it not the big things like about what im askin now. Its an 02 and i havnt stoped smiling since ive had it. it has 22k miles and i got it for $21.5k. looks brand new, the tires are also brand new on the car since the previous owner put them on about 1300 miles ago.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:58 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

yes i do have an s2000, but before i bought the s2000 i did alot of research on a 350z and realized how many problems with it then i moved on to the s2000 and i found one for a really good deal so i havnt had time to research it but i just know some of the basics on it not the big things like about what im askin now. Its an 02 and i havnt stoped smiling since ive had it. it has 22k miles and i got it for $21.5k. looks brand new, the tires are also brand new on the car since the previous owner put them on about 1300 miles ago.
That's a decent deal. You certainly bought the correct year. I'd love to get an 02 in a couple of years. Do you have a second vehicle or is this your only car?