Notices

Sound of your RSX-S engines....ticking?

Old 02-29-2004, 01:44 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound of your RSX-S engines....ticking?

Just wanted to ask everyone here with an S how does your engine sound? Jens dad had the RSX for a week and ever since we've gotten it back it seems as though the engine has a louder ticking than before. Now this may just be me being paranoid about the way her father drives but....

is there a slight ticking to Honda engines/our k20a2's???

I know I will tell the service rep next time we're in for service to check, but what do you guys think?? I know it may be hard to say without hearing just how loud the ticking is but,....I mean its not too loud, just seems louder...

IDK, maybe im paranoid. Feel free to comment.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:27 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Honda 4 bangers tick...get the valves adjusted just to make sure. Have you had that done yet?
Old 02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

No sir. Have not, the car only has 27,xxx miles on it. I'm just worried Jens dad didn't misshift while he had the car.

Thanks for the recommendation though. I figured it was always there but my mind just one day subconsiously decided to notice more one day.

Anybody else...I'm awaiting import_tooner, OLD MAN, and gang.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

I still think it's the valves... not sure though.

SKOOIE!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:19 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by import-tooner
I still think it's the valves... not sure though.
What do you mean Thats how the stock valves sound...or do you mean theres something wrong with the valves in Jens car???

Thanks for the response BTW, anybody else?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM
binarystatic
what's that noise?

Mine ticks pretty loudly too... I've been considering asking my dealer about it next time it's in for service.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Lager

Ive found that the RSX and the S2000 engine to be the quietest Honda engines produced to date.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 AM
JdmDC5

My engine ticks, but to me it's normal. There's so many sensors on the engine that you would know if something was wrong.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Good point. Thanks for the replys guys, I guess I'll tell the service rep about it next time maybe he'll tell me its normal right off the bat or maybe he'll check.

Either way, I'm not too conscerned about it right now. Engine performs excellently.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Lager

Mr Pilot, obviously you know a great deal about Honda cars in general and what is normal and what isnt.To attempt to diagnose a ticking sound on here is difficult at best. Your noise might be a tick, tick or a ticky ticky,or a clack or a thunk. LOL>.Honestly, your engine is generally very quiet. Asking your Rep, Im assumeing you mean your local Honda/Acura dealer service rep? If this is the case, you will be very disappointed. 99 % know nothing about Cars,they are collage educated business majors that are taught facts and figures like Customer satisfaction surveys.The days of Honda hiring people like me that actually Know the cars mechanically wise are long gone.Im not even going to get into the affirmative action hiring policy which im a victum as we speak. Im other words, the "Rep" will ask the lead technician/Shop forman his opinion about your problem.A lightly ticking valve train is actually good for most peoples cars because it provides a strong manifold vacuum. The MAP sensor ( Manifold Air Pressure) controls the fuel rate.A high manifold vacuum provides better fuel economy and driveability.I know this post really dosent answer your question, again because I cant hear your engine noise,but at least you know more now then when you wrote your post.

Quick Reply: Sound of your RSX-S engines....ticking?