Notices

Sound of your RSX-S engines....ticking?

Old 03-06-2004, 01:14 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, lager if we still had reputation points I'd throw some you're way for that reply.

Thanks. Like I said before, its probably normal its just my head after not being with the car for a long time. And you're probably right on the service reps...but anyway I've had pretty good experience with them thus far and he seems to know a fair amount of technical knowledge. But I appreciate you're attemp at an educating response and hope that you stick around our fair RSX (now +EP3) forum, continuing to contribute you're great knowledge of Hondas.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Lager

Mr Pilot,Thanks for your reply.Im not so sure the noise you are hearing is all in your head.RSX and S2000 engines normally have NO valve train noise and thats usually the cause of all ticking sounds..
Old 03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
JdmDC5

Originally Posted by Lager
Mr Pilot,Thanks for your reply.Im not so sure the noise you are hearing is all in your head.RSX and S2000 engines normally have NO valve train noise and thats usually the cause of all ticking sounds..
I really don't think it's the valvetrain as much, what it sounds like is some loud ass injectors, or maybe its the coil packs, the new Honda engines are coming out with distributorless ignitions and it could be from there. For example: My friend used to own a 00' GT-S, and the same tick I hear from my RSX was found on the TOYOTA. (GT-S's are distributorless)
Old 03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
JdmDC5

I take that distributorless thing back, I'm positive it's the injectors now. I popped my hood and listened to it closer today, and all I hear the noise coming from is the injectors, they tick loud as hell.

- On another note, since we're talking about noises, does your, or anyone else with an RSX, have a little click in their steering wheel? Mine clicks a little when i turn the wheel from left to right. Or how about your Idle, does your idle ever jump up and down in the 500-1000 rpm range? Just wondering
Old 03-10-2004, 12:46 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Thanks JDM, I'm not at all familiar with your point on the injectors. The ticking sounds too mechanical in nature for me to have thought of anything other than valvetrain. Thanks for the reply, I'll mention it to the "reps" next time.

As far as your inquiry to sounds in the steering, I have never encountered or noticed for that matter any sort of clicking originating from the steering wheel. My g/f's RSX-S rpm fluctuated slighty in the same range you speak of when it is very cold outside and you initially start the car. Otherwise, turning the steering wheel back and forth while idling will cause your RPM's to fluctuate b/c the power steering is being worked at idle///
Old 03-10-2004, 05:44 PM
JdmDC5

Originally Posted by honda_pilot
I'm not at all familiar with your point on the injectors. The ticking sounds too mechanical in nature for me to have thought of anything other than valvetrain.
Ok, here's how it works: The injectors are like solenoids that open and close kind of like the valves do, they do this constantly in order to supply each piston with its spray of fuel. So the ticking we hear is the injectors turning of and on like a light switch, it sounds like the valves but its not. Next time your around the car pop the hood and put your ear close to the head, then move down to the fuel rail and I guarantee that you'll notice a difference. The i-VTEC cover pops right off to here it closer.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:58 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Ok thanks for the explanation. I'll probably check that tonight.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:52 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

i just wanna say im impressed how well you guys solve problems keep up the excellent work ppl like u make this board a nice place to be during the day
Old 03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

You're absoluetly right next, this was a well discussed topic. But our humble RSX forum usually is, civilized. But I guess I'll take some credit for starting the thread :rick::chuckles:
Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
cashizslick

if it has under 30K, i think ur just paranoid . .. . . . . . hondas dont get messed up like that for no reason

Quick Reply: Sound of your RSX-S engines....ticking?