Notices

"CLICKING" power door locks

Old 07-23-2003, 05:13 AM
2000Prelude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "CLICKING" power door locks

I'm having a problem with my power door locks. After I press the lock buton to lock the door, the locks activate, but there is a clicking sound for a couple of seconds afterward. It sound as if the system is still trying to lock the door even after it already locks. It cycles back and forth for several seconds and then stops. I just hope it doesn't continue to do this for some time after I leave the car and walk away. I'd hate to come back to a dead battery because the locks werer cycling back and forth fuitlessly while I'm at work. It does this whether you use the remote or use the lock switch on the door.

Anyone have this happen to them??

Is there any way a fuse can be pulled and the power locks disabled, and just lock, unlock the doors manually??
Old 07-23-2003, 07:53 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

this happened on my accord until the lock finally gave up the ghost.

replace the lock mechanism... it's just a lock relay failure within the lock mechanism.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Mine does that..... I haven't gotten around to it, but I know what it needs -- a module in the drivers door for 110.00. I can live with a few extra clicks for that price. That's just for the part.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:27 AM
2000Prelude

Wow fastball.

We seem to have a lot of the same problems.
Yeah, I'm just hoping the extra clicks don't wear down the battery. The battery's been good so far and still shows the blue fully chaged indication. I also don't really want to spend any more money on the car right now. Just got new tires and got new pads and rotors on the front (as well as new clutch master cylinder)

Here's a list of the problems ect. I've had with the Prelude:

1) Timing belt tensioer & timing belt replaced because of GRRRR noise @ 54k miles, cost $50 because I've got the service plan to 100K.

2) New pads and rotors on the front and new clutch master cylinder @ 74K, cost $600!!

3) New tires at 75.5 K, Yokohama AVS dB2, total for tires and installation $500.

4) Now clicking power door locks.

I guess this list isn't too bad and the car runs great overall, but it's not a Ford or GM, so I exoect not to have too much in the way of failures until at least 100K!

By the way, I'm hoping to get a Accord 6 speed coupe next year (plan for April. Prelude should be at 100K by that time)
Old 07-28-2003, 12:37 PM
fastball
A little chin music

I've taken care of all those problems and plan on running the 'Lude into the ground. I haven't had many complaints about it overall. Love the car. As for the door locks, mine have been cycling for about 6 months, and it's waaaay out of warranty (I'm at 86k miles). No effect on the battery, realy. It's a low current system to begin with (not like the old power door lock solenoids on a 75 Cadillac that you could pull your house down with). I think eventually I'll get sick of it and just replace the friggin thing, but I have other more important issues..... like buying a house.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:41 PM
machinehead

yes, be thankful you drive a honda. that list would be far longer if you bought a neon or crapalier or somethign.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:23 PM
elbee

It's a TSB. Mine just started after 4.5 years.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:46 PM
FatTony

I dont know the name of the part, but its the little motor that locks the door. I had to replace mine on my accord and it cost 120 at honda. Mine eventually gave up and wouldnt lock anymore.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:02 PM
fastball
A little chin music

On Preludes its a different part..... its a control module, not a motor (damn computers )
Old 08-09-2003, 10:46 PM
NoShoAccord

I had this happen to my 1986 Accord LX. Is it more of a buzzing sound or a clicking noise??

Mine was a buzzing sound. It started happening when we first got the car and the dealer said that it should be fine. It lasted 13 years. I wouldn't doubt if it is still working.

Try this. Try pushing the power door lock switch REAL FAST. Does it still make that noise??