Notices

Question about transmission

Old 06-15-2006, 06:16 AM
laine1502

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about transmission

I'm thinking about buying a 1999 Prelude... I test-drove it the other day and was slightly concerned about the transmission (automatic). I haven't driven many hondas (and none from this specific model/year). It seemed to shift a little late to me. It'd rev up almost a full 1000 rpms before shifting, making for a not-very-smooth tranistion between gears (mostly on the first couple). It felt like someone was manually moving through the gears. I know some trannys are built like this (or modified) for speed reasons... But I didn't know how the Prelude typically ran. I personally dont' mind the late shifting, I'm just trying to find if that's normal or if its a red flag to a serious tranny problem
Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

You were using the "Sport Shift" right......I know on my friends 03 Eclipse, when he uses the "sport shift"....it takes a second for it to shift....there have been problems with the 5th Gen. Automatic transmissions.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:17 AM
jesseunvoas

i've got a automatic for now that is and i installed a transmition cooler and that has helped it alot also try different tranny fluid
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 AM
laine1502

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
You were using the "Sport Shift" right......I know on my friends 03 Eclipse, when he uses the "sport shift"....it takes a second for it to shift....there have been problems with the 5th Gen. Automatic transmissions.
Yeah... the car has the SS option. But I was driving on solely on automatic. But there have been problems with that tranny, huh? Hmmm...
Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by laine1502
Yeah... the car has the SS option. But I was driving on solely on automatic. But there have been problems with that tranny, huh? Hmmm...
Also Automatic shifts are totally different from a manual....my advice search for a manual Lude
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
SirHybrid

Oh geez. Another thread from all of you automatic prelude haters. I have a 99 Auto Lude with Sport Shift. I don't know about that revving up 1000 rpms between gears. I know that mine and others I talk to with auto ludes have noticed that the car will tend to stay in second gear at around 25 mph until you either give it a little more gas or take your foot off the pedal. Then it will shift to third. It's a little annoying on 25 mph streets, but not a big deal, just have to do like 28 mph instead so the car will shift. From the couple other people I've talked to with auto ludes, this all happens to them too. And all this talk about the Sport shift Tranny being a piece of junk is bullshit. I hear all this talk about how they have had problems because it was Honda's first attempt at making a Sport Shift tranny, but I personally think it is just rumors because I can't find anyone with a auto lude that has had trans problems. Everybody I talk to say that they are running strong. If you are buying the car from a dealership, or even if from a private party, tell them you want your own mechanic to look at the car. Let a mechanic drive it and tell you what they think. And it is a good idea to change the trans. fluid about every 15k miles. I suggest trying to get service records. My car came with a freakin phone-book sized packet of paperwork for the service records done at the honda dealership. Meticulously maintained...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:02 PM
vassil3427

The tranny probably needs the fluid changed a couple times, I found this to be tru in my '98 lude SS. I purchased it with around 138k miles on it, shifted nicely, seemed to hold out in each gear a little longer than I'd like. So I drained and refilled my tranny fluid 4 times(just to make sure it was all new fluid). Immediatly after changing it I noticed a huge difference in the shift pattern, and actually it's only gotten better ever since. I hit 150k this week, and I drive her like a ferrari everyday(including days where I run through redline from every stop in every gear but 4th), and I dont think it could shift better even if it were brand new. BTW I'm planning on installing my tranny cooler this weekend(to ensure the life of my tranny) . I also dont understand all the complainin' over these tranny's, minus what I've read, I've driven several SS Lude's and never had a problem. Just my two cents....
Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Mkazm83
Snapping bolts

Its not a queston of whether the tranny will go, its when its going to go.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:12 PM
vassil3427

You can say that all you want...however I know of another SS lude in the area with over 220k miles on the original tranny...he just kept the fluid changed...
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 AM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

Originally Posted by Mkazm83
Its not a queston of whether the tranny will go, its when its going to go.
Quit hatin the auto tranny is not bad at all, one of the best autos ever made in my opinion. All you gotta do is change the fluid with honda genuine atf DONT EVER USE ANY OTHER FLUID and your good. The ones that mess up are from idiots that dont know how to drive them or drive them like manuals. The manual tranny probably has more problems than the auto like a mismanufactored fifth gear pitch fork. The SS also shifts quicker than most automatics so thats a plus also you will never miss a shift and get better traction off the line.

Last edited by vtec rider; 07-04-2006 at 09:45 AM.