Notices

One wheel wonder, need info.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One wheel wonder, need info.

In the 1998 Honda Prelude base modle, is it a one wheel wonder because I know that the Sh has both spinning. Do the base and the Sh share the exact same tranny but the sh just has the ATTS. The main question is if you have a type sh and you drop your ATTS will it be a one wheel wonder, any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:25 PM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

Well I talked to my friend with a base model he says both tires spin. So I quess the real question is, does the Sh and base model have the exact same transmision. I thought I have heard that the trannys are differant.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 PM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

Noone here simply knows if the Sh and base model share the same transmision?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 AM
mikesta21
93preludesi

umm, not sure, but one has a LSD
Old 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

The Japanese H22 has a LSD but I didnt know the USDM ones did. So the Sh has a LSD? Or the base?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

Because basically I have a type Sh and my ATTS computer is bad and its cheaper to get rid of it and the weight/drivetrain loss than it would be to get it fixed and I want to know if I drop it if Ill have a one wheel wonder but I shouldnt if there is aLSD in the Sh tranny.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

ummm not sure if you got it or not, but SH=LSD and base no
good luck
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the SH has a computer controled transmission like box called ATTS...

basically it is a computer-ized LSD with the ability to vary the ammount of torque sent to each wheel to aid in turning.

base preludes have an open diff 50/50 split. when you turn your inside wheel will need to spin out because it's spinning at the same speed as your outside wheel, yet is on a shorter path.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

the block as well as tranny is slightly different. if you do some searching, this has been covered before. it might even be in the FAQs. check here and on honda-tech. the short version is: if you convert your sh to base you need to buy the new tranny as well as an adapter plate so that you can mount the new tranny to your existing block. you may have to buy other stuff like axles as well, i'm not sure. The SH (sport handling) is not an lsd. it's a system called ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) it uses a system of electronic clutches for each wheel independently, to transfer torque to the outside wheel during cornering. this helps improve traction and handling, and helps to eliminate understeer. when the system is working properly, the SH handles like a dream! i've always loved the sh and i think it would be a waste to convert it to base. is it really that much more expensive to fix it? good luck, hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:50 AM
shane steven
98PreludeSh

I have no power steering and I dont care much for the handling any more I just want a straight line car. The ATTS is not a LSD. A LSD is in the transmission, the ATTS is outside the transmission but works like a LSD but is computer controlled a LSD is a mechanical device. I just wonder if you take the ATTS unti down the half shaft support bearing and half shaft replace that space and the bearing support bolts up to the to threaded holes the ATTS bolts. I just dont know if the half shaft plines will fit into the Sh trans because if it has an actual LSD in the tranny the splines could be differant. You shouldnt need an adapter plate to bolt a base trans to a Sh H22 because the blocks are the same. Although you might need a base trans because of the splines. If the half shaft fits into a Sh trans I just dont want it to be a one wheel wonder. But if the ATTS is outside the trans then it must have power going to it from the trans to power it so I dont think that it would be a one wheel wonder.