Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

No Backbone...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duff Man
Who disclosed this letter? I call BS. Statistics show that this war is recruiting more terrorists then that of which it's preventing. This is current evidence and it's been handed over to the Bush administration.

The best way to end this chaos is to have a plan...something we all have yet to see.

We need a state system, an equal division of funding as far as oil revenue goes, and a structured government group that includes equal members from shia, shite, and kurdish states. Once this is established, we start bringing our kids home.
I wish I could remember where I read or heard it. Nothing is popping up online (Like ABC, NBC, CNN, NY Times, et. al. would ever put that in print).

We do have a plan and a pretty clear one at that. You may not agree with it but it is very clear with a definative goal.

Hey thanks for outlining part of President Bush's plan!! :bigok:
Old 10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
I wish I could remember where I read or heard it. Nothing is popping up online (Like ABC, NBC, CNN, NY Times, et. al. would ever put that in print).

We do have a plan and a pretty clear one at that. You may not agree with it but it is very clear with a definative goal.

Hey thanks for outlining part of President Bush's plan!! :bigok:
Actually, this plan is from Joe Biden.

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
First, the plan calls for maintaining a unified Iraq by decentralizing it and giving Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis their own regions. The central government would be left in charge of common interests, such as border security and the distribution of oil revenue.

Second, it would bind the Sunnis to the deal by guaranteeing them a proportionate share of oil revenue. Each group would have an incentive to maximize oil production, making oil the glue that binds the country together.

Third, the plan would create a massive jobs program while increasing reconstruction aid -- especially from the oil-rich Gulf states -- but tying it to the protection of minority rights.

Fourth, it would convene an international conference that would produce a regional nonaggression pact and create a Contact Group to enforce regional commitments.

Fifth, it would begin the phased redeployment of U.S. forces this year and withdraw most of them by the end of 2007, while maintaining a small follow-on force to keep the neighbors honest and to strike any concentration of terrorists.

This plan is consistent with Iraq's constitution, which already provides for the country's 18 provinces to join together in regions, with their own security forces and control over most day-to-day issues. This plan is the only idea on the table for dealing with the militias, which are likely to retreat to their respective regions instead of engaging in acts of violence. This plan is consistent with a strong central government that has clearly defined responsibilities. Indeed, it provides an agenda for that government, whose mere existence will not end sectarian violence. This plan is not partition -- in fact, it may be the only way to prevent violent partition and preserve a unified Iraq.

To be sure, this plan presents real challenges, especially with regard to large cities with mixed populations. We would maintain Baghdad as a federal city, belonging to no one region. And we would require international peacekeepers for other mixed cities to support local security forces and further protect minorities. The example of Bosnia is illustrative, if not totally analogous. Ten years ago, Bosnia was being torn apart by ethnic cleansing. The United States stepped in decisively with the Dayton Accords to keep the country whole by, paradoxically, dividing it into ethnic federations. We even allowed Muslims, Croats and Serbs to retain separate armies. With the help of U.S. troops and others, Bosnians have lived a decade in peace. Now they are strengthening their central government and disbanding their separate armies.

At best, the course we're on has no end in sight. At worst, it leads to a terrible civil war and possibly a regional war. This plan offers a way to bring our troops home, protect our security interests and preserve Iraq as a unified country. Those who reject this plan out of hand must answer one simple question: What is your alternative?
In short, it provides a United State system with Baghdad as a central district (Disctrict of Columbia scenario if you will).

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-04-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by Duff Man
Actually, this plan is from Joe Biden.

In short, it provides a United State system with Baghdad as a central district (Disctrict of Columbia scenario if you will).
Biden has just taken Bush's plan and put hard dates on it. Nice original idea.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
Biden has just taken Bush's plan and put hard dates on it. Nice original idea.
huh...really?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BXndG4LDLHU

BTW, he's trying to appeal to two people. He says "pull out" twice. But the key phrase is "pull out and re-position". Yeah I know he's trying to appeal to those that want to just pull out all together. But he's true ambition is to reposition our troops and the leadership...I fully agree with Biden on this. Right now, there is still no plan. I listened to bush today. He's...or should I say Rove's words, made sense. But IMO, PR isn't going to sell this war any longer — a lack of planning got us into this mess in the first place. Now we need a solution and this administration simply does not have one. I just wish Biden would be the majority leader...his influence is strong and I think we may have a chance...ugh...as long as Laura and Georges Dog doesn't start spittin some more crazy ideological nonsense into his head — apparantly this has more influence on him then his own father...

We need a plan and Biden has it.

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-25-2006 at 07:44 PM.