Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

WTF? Politics at it's worst

Old 09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bizarre.

Back here in reality, the KKK traces its origins to the reconstruction era just after the Civil War. I suppose its possible that they aligned themselves with the Democratic Party back then -- I really don't know -- but its fair to say that the Democrats of the mid- to late-1800s bore only a passing resemblance to the modern Democratic Party. Think about the vast difference between, say, the Republican Party during the time of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Republican Party under the leadership of George W. Bush. They're, uh, not the same.

So the people who are responsible for that radio advertisement are liars, or complete idiots, or possibly both.

Its also interesting that they would suggest that Dr. King might be a member of the same party as Strom Thurmond, a man who ran for President on a platform of "segregation forever." Dr. King stood quite proudly upon uncompromising principle. Strom filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1957 (standing upon his own warped principles, I suppose).

This radio ad and the people behind it are an embarassment to democracy and honest public discourse.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Duff Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benjamin
Bizarre.

Back here in reality, the KKK traces its origins to the reconstruction era just after the Civil War. I suppose its possible that they aligned themselves with the Democratic Party back then -- I really don't know -- but its fair to say that the Democrats of the mid- to late-1800s bore only a passing resemblance to the modern Democratic Party. Think about the vast difference between, say, the Republican Party during the time of Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Republican Party under the leadership of George W. Bush. They're, uh, not the same.

So the people who are responsible for that radio advertisement are liars, or complete idiots, or possibly both.

Its also interesting that they would suggest that Dr. King might be a member of the same party as Strom Thurmond, a man who ran for President on a platform of "segregation forever." Dr. King stood quite proudly upon uncompromising principle. Strom filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1957 (standing upon his own warped principles, I suppose).

This radio ad and the people behind it are an embarassment to democracy and honest public discourse.
If you only posted sooner, I would have kept my Eisenhower quote up. Either way, these ^ guy's are saying that black individuals are pulling the race card. But if this group had any intelligence, they would go back to the bond between king and Kennedy — completely against the neo-con agenda started by Nixon, proclaimed by reagon, and policy placed forth by the recent Bush administration.

Ugh...now I wish I didn't edit that entire post out.

Last edited by Duff Man; 09-24-2006 at 08:25 PM.