Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...

Old 07-02-2002, 05:51 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well awais you took up alot of bandwidth without even making a point. The engine is not VTEC, a trip to acura.com would have told you that.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES
The RL is in its own niche with a V6 and FWD or AWD for 40 grand and if they can make the interior as nice as possible as you envisiop and make a torque 3.8-4.0L V6 with 26o hp/260 ft-lbs, we shall see. It seems as if every single first generation Acura model sucks ass (TL, CL, SLX-MDX...not to mention newer Honda products such as the Odyssey and Passport-Pilot) and then they really bump up the quality of the second one.
True, the current RL has its own niche, but you'd expect Acura's flagship to be placed a little higher in the market than where it currently is. Honestly, I don't think it can compete with E Class, let alone S.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the current RL start somewhere around 43K. Addition of AWD would most probably increase the cost of production, and thus price.

First gen. TL, and MDX weren't so bad. CL still has to define a niche for itself. And I am expecting a Pilot to sell like mad. I've already seen a lot of people on here and at acuramdx.org choosing Pilot over MDX.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by Awais

True, the current RL has its own niche, but you'd expect Acura's flagship to be placed a little higher in the market than where it currently is. Honestly, I don't think it can compete with E Class, let alone S.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the current RL start somewhere around 43K. Addition of AWD would most probably increase the cost of production, and thus price.
Again, acura.com. You should not be spending 43k on a base RL, more like 40k. You seem to think there is something wrong with a low price...there isn't. You can pick and nit all damn day awais, I don't personally care how much AWD adds to the price.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by 02RSXTYPES

Again, acura.com. You should not be spending 43k on a base RL, more like 40k. You seem to think there is something wrong with a low price...there isn't.
Sorry. I don't think there is anything wrong with low price. Its the FWD v6, and a lack of amenities.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:36 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Sorry. I don't think there is anything wrong with low price. Its the FWD v6, and a lack of amenities.
Explain why it outsells the amenity rich RWD V8 Q45.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:50 AM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm..doesn't the DOHC i-VTEC in RSX Type S have the same mechanism as the BMW double VANOS?
Double Vanos is different than valvatronic. Google Search it.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:08 AM
yianni64

First of all, the sales arent that bad considering they havent spent much money on the car for many years. Compare that to all the money Infiniti spent on the Q45, ouch. And Infiniti has proven than a entry level rwd sports sedan is what people want, and it whats going to save that company. But Acura isnt in the same position as they were/are.

The current E-Class starts with a 221hp V6 at 49,115 bucks, and thats befroe you get charged crazy amounts of money for every option. But the next gen E-Class is yet another step higher, and I dont think the RL can be considerd in the same class anymore....

As for the engine, yeah, no VTEC, only car in the lineup with it, yest its supposed to be the flagship. I just think that has to do witht he fact it hasnt been redisgned. Yall remeber the Dualnote? It had a 3.5L i-VTEC V6 with 300hp. I'm sure it revved fairly high, so i can see them lowering the redline a couple thousand rpm, tuning it for more torque, and getting about 270hp and 260lb/ft.

Anyways, the addition of AWD will add to the price. BUT, I tell you this, more people are willing to pay 45k for an AWD luxury sedan than 42k for a FWD one. Cuz the way most people see it, AWD is better than RWD anyways, not to mention its easier to implament for Acura. Plus, they wont loose those great sales they got up north where people dont want/cant have rwd cars.

So why not do it already Acura? If the next RL uses the two things I mention, that V6, or one with similar specs, and an awd system, I cant see sales going anywhere but way up
Old 07-02-2002, 08:07 AM
MPM77

Awais, the Canadian version of the RL must be completely different than the US version. The 2002 RL in the US has only driver window auto up/down - just go to acura.com. Also, the Canadian article shows mpg of 21/31 city/highway. That is totally outrageous. My RL gets about 17 on average.

One other feature lacking on the RL, 5sp auto!!

Not sure if anyone knows this, I just found out, on the 740il the transmission is fully programable. It can be adjusted to downshift automatically when going up or down hill. It can also be programed for "extreme sport mode" which holds a lower gear in anticipation of the driver stomping on it! You can also program the condenser for the a/c to turn on and off at certain times or intervals. Pretty cool!! The system also detects fumes and stinky **** and automatically places the climate control system on circulate. These are just some of the added luxuries that high end cars offer that Acura and other auto makers have not even considered.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:11 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Awais is from Pakistan, not Canada. Seriously.

Bottom line, the RL is severely outdated....but it doesn't do too bad, especially compared to the Q45, which Nissan wasted millions on.

Last edited by 98CoupeV6; 07-02-2002 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:59 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by MPM77
Awais, the Canadian version of the RL must be completely different than the US version. The 2002 RL in the US has only driver window auto up/down - just go to acura.com. Also, the Canadian article shows mpg of 21/31 city/highway. That is totally outrageous. My RL gets about 17 on average.

One other feature lacking on the RL, 5sp auto!!
Your mileage isnt that great, true. Its a 4spd, a 5speed will help out. Also, VTEC would allow the car to get similar/better performance with better mileage.

Quick Reply: No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...