Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Nissan buying Hybrid technology from Toyota

Old 09-04-2002, 01:35 PM
asianautica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by yianni64

Right. If I was Honda, I wouldnt bother with the Element, I'd put that money behind a truck. Or maybe not. I dont know, people that buy trucks tend to be (not always) people that would only buy a ford or chevy. you know, those kind of people.
I know what you mean. And it's true, that's why Toyota is having a hard time penetrating that market. But they are trying and the Tundra is a good stepping stone. Eventually, when the japanese trucks get to a point where it's so obviously better, people will start noticing and maybe it'll be easier then. Nissan is also coming out w/ a full size truck so maybe 2 good Japanese full size truck will be easier to get people to think of japanese trucks as a worthy competitor as well.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:01 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by asianautica

I know what you mean. And it's true, that's why Toyota is having a hard time penetrating that market. But they are trying and the Tundra is a good stepping stone. Eventually, when the japanese trucks get to a point where it's so obviously better, people will start noticing and maybe it'll be easier then. Nissan is also coming out w/ a full size truck so maybe 2 good Japanese full size truck will be easier to get people to think of japanese trucks as a worthy competitor as well.

I wrote a really long reply, then IE crashed.

So basically, the mentality of the people that buy full size pick ups, a lot of the time - not all, limits them from buying anyhting but a good ol' Dodge/Chevy(GMC)/Ford......

So what Honda understand, is that for now at least, it's a lost cause, for them at least.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:40 PM
asianautica

Originally posted by yianni64

I wrote a really long reply, then IE crashed.

So basically, the mentality of the people that buy full size pick ups, a lot of the time - not all, limits them from buying anyhting but a good ol' Dodge/Chevy(GMC)/Ford......

So what Honda understand, is that for now at least, it's a lost cause, for them at least.
You should try mozilla if IE keep on crashing on you. I'm using it right now and it's really good.

That's very true because Honda has no V8 and large truck platform so it'll be much more expensive for them to do so. However, Toyota and Nissan can do it because They have V8s and are experienced w/ trucks so that's why they're trying to penetrate the truck market. It's a big segment that Japanese companies are not major players.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:32 PM
JaydeeEmzOwnzYo

For 2005 model year or so, the Corolla is gonna offer the Celica GT-S engine.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:34 PM
JaydeeEmzOwnzYo

Originally posted by kazi

Possibly, but then looking at it in a different perspective, maybe Toyota and Nissans saw Honda's success with Acura, even if it might have been their guinee(sp?) pig and envied their sucess so much they followed with their own luxury nameplates launch in 1991.
In the mid to late 80's Acura, to me, was not a luxurious auto manufacturer. When Lexus was relesed in the early 90's, it was much more of a luxurious company in my eyes, for example, the LS400.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:42 PM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Originally posted by JaydeeEmzOwnzYo
For 2005 model year or so, the Corolla is gonna offer the Celica GT-S engine.
Good for them.
In the mid to late 80's Acura, to me, was not a luxurious auto manufacturer. When Lexus was relesed in the early 90's, it was much more of a luxurious company in my eyes, for example, the LS400.
You missed the whole point. Honda was the first Japanese automobile manufacturer to startup a premium name brand in the USA. Most of their peers and public had doubts that a Japanese company can break the mold for Japanese cars going upscale. Honda did it very successfully. Toyota and Nissan, both larger companies than Honda, seeing this mold broken (henced a little bit of envy) and followed with thier launch 5 years later.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:36 PM
JaydeeEmzOwnzYo

Originally posted by kazi

Good for them.

You missed the whole point. Honda was the first Japanese automobile manufacturer to startup a premium name brand in the USA. Most of their peers and public had doubts that a Japanese company can break the mold for Japanese cars going upscale. Honda did it very successfully. Toyota and Nissan, both larger companies than Honda, seeing this mold broken (henced a little bit of envy) and followed with thier launch 5 years later.
ok, understood. And today, who do you see as more upscale luxurious, Acura or Lexus. I would say they both have pros/cons and good points about each.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Troopa-R

ok, understood. And today, who do you see as more upscale luxurious, Acura or Lexus. I would say they both have pros/cons and good points about each.
That's not what you said and that's not the point.

You said that in the 80s, to you, Acura was not a luxury marque. ToAnd at some level, it's true. It's like if Hyundai or Kia came out with a luxury marque today. However, for the time, the Integra and Legend were more luxurious than any other Japanese car sold in the US, and a Japanese luxury marque was something that hadn't been done before. True, Toyota and Nissan did it better with Lexus and Infiniti, but Honda was the first to push the concept of luxurious Japanese cars in America.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:22 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Eternal RSXness
Nissan did it better with...Infiniti
Gonna hafta take issue to this. Only recently has Infiniti had some reputable cars...The Legend outsold the Q for years and years, everyone and they momma wanted a Legend. The Integra always kicked the G20's ass. The 1st gen TL/Vigor weren't anywhere near successful, but they were as nice as their Infiniti counterparts. Only now is Nissan putting out better products (Q45, G35) than Acura, but Acuras will still sell more because Acura is a car for everyone, and Infiniti cannot copy their formula well...witness the weaksauce (as far as sales... but I like it better than the RL) Q45 and the no-luxury G35.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:54 AM
yianni64

Back to topic. I hope to see a hybrid Accord and CR-V, noth retaining their K24's but adding the IMA for better mileage and accelaration.

Quick Reply: Nissan buying Hybrid technology from Toyota