Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 Hyundai Azera (replacement for XG350)

Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9600baud
Until you slap "HYUNDAI" on the front of it. But nevertheless they've done a great job of increasing reliability and quality. Heck... if i was an average suburbanite father of 2.5 kids and needed a grocery getter... i'd buy it
"the azera, by hyundai" sounds right, i dont think you'll ever hear an ad saying the hyundai azera.... sounds likeone word in that structure.... but i think they can get away with just calling it "the azera"
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually quite impressed with the car, from the features, to the exterior, to the interior. Unless it somehow turns out to be worse than American cars in terms of quality, I would be hard-pressed to fault it.

Pretty understated and harmless overall. I actually like the Honda Accord tail (on the Honda) so a similar one on this Hyundai doesn't offend me. Actually, the car kinda reminds me of the Mazda Millenia (from the front, at least)...I think it has a rather appealing "Asian executive" look to it...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by DRfrank
"the azera, by hyundai" sounds right, i dont think you'll ever hear an ad saying the hyundai azera.... sounds likeone word in that structure.... but i think they can get away with just calling it "the azera"
where are you getting this from? the official hyundai azera website has "The All-New 2006 Hyundai Azera" right the title bar. it also says "Hyundai Azera" if you click on the video unveiling link. hyundai's main website features a graphic with a link to the azera site that says the same thing (The All-New 2006 Hyundai Azera).
Old 03-30-2005, 01:55 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by mayonaise
where are you getting this from? the official hyundai azera website has "The All-New 2006 Hyundai Azera" right the title bar. it also says "Hyundai Azera" if you click on the video unveiling link. hyundai's main website features a graphic with a link to the azera site that says the same thing (The All-New 2006 Hyundai Azera).
then they are just marketing morons, i just figured the azera by hyundai sounds better and that they would use that instead of the hyundai azera... totally 1982 saying hyundai azera...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

"the azera, by hyundai" sounds right
:chuckles: That reminds me of the Chrysler TC by Maserati.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:12 PM
mayonaise

then they are just marketing morons, i just figured the azera by hyundai sounds better and that they would use that instead of the hyundai azera... totally 1982 saying hyundai azera...
when did it become outdated or moronic for car companies to put their company name in front of the model name in advertising? :eh: has hyundai ever said "[model name] by hyundai" for any car?

anyway, back to the subject.. my parents got an elantra as a rental car once. they thought it was a surprisingly nice car. hyundai has made a lot of improvement, as noted. i'm sure the azera will be a decent car. but i still think it'll take a while (if ever) for them to raise their image up to par with the japanese makers (which i believe is their goal). and as much as image shouldn't mean shit, it does, and in a big way. so can the azera be taken seriously as a luxury car? will hyundai *ever* be able to market a serious luxury competitor in the near future? should they even be trying to market it as a luxury car??
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by mayonaise
when did it become outdated or moronic for car companies to put their company name in front of the model name in advertising? :eh: has hyundai ever said "[model name] by hyundai" for any car?

anyway, back to the subject.. my parents got an elantra as a rental car once. they thought it was a surprisingly nice car. hyundai has made a lot of improvement, as noted. i'm sure the azera will be a decent car. but i still think it'll take a while (if ever) for them to raise their image up to par with the japanese makers (which i believe is their goal). and as much as image shouldn't mean shit, it does, and in a big way. so can the azera be taken seriously as a luxury car? will hyundai *ever* be able to market a serious luxury competitor in the near future? should they even be trying to market it as a luxury car??
it's a marketing mistake when the makers name detracts from the idea of the car... they want to sell an upscale car make it sound upscale....
Old 03-30-2005, 02:46 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
:chuckles: That reminds me of the Chrysler TC by Maserati.
i know it's off topic:
how'd they not sue toyota yet (scion Tc)
Old 03-30-2005, 04:19 PM
mayonaise

it's a marketing mistake when the makers name detracts from the idea of the car... they want to sell an upscale car make it sound upscale....
your argument is based on a personal opinion, and is pretty much baseless to begin with. you haven't backed up your argument, except to say that it "sounds better" - which, in case you didn't notice, is inherently subjective. what luxury car advertising campaign strictly adheres to this type of convention? how is it that this sounds more upscale (besides in your own opinion)? if you can prove that it is (which you can't), then why doesn't every other car company else use it?

nevermind the wording, the name "azure" sounds pretty stupid to begin with. while i'm a fan of *not* releasing yet another luxury car with an alphanumeric name, they're going to have to do a lot better than "azure" to evoke a feeling of high class sophistication.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

marketing is based on making a product appealing to the consumer and/or customer