Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 Hyundai Azera (replacement for XG350)

Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 AM
gutterslide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did they have to copy one of the ugliest Honda tails ever?!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 PM
95AccordV6

Looks dated. It looks like the mid-90s design.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:56 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

wow. they studied the accord a little bit too much. seems like the exact design, but with G1 Tiberon fender flares.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Okay as the new title of this thread reflects, now the car is going to be called the Hyundai Azera.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Get past the new name and get a look at Hyundai’s XG350 replacement, the 2006 Azera, for yet another surprise from the Korean automaker.

Hyundai says its Azera unveiled at the New York show boasts a huge interior (“more interior room than the BMW 760i and Mercedes-Benz S-Class”), a 3.8-liter 265-hp V6 engine with “more standard horsepower than the Ford Five Hundred and the Buick LaCrosse,” and a slew of luxury amenities, many of which were lacking on Hyundai’s previous flagship sedan. Compared with the 2005 XG350, the Azera is longer, wider, and rides on a wheelbase that is 1.1 inches longer.

Hyundai picked the Azera name for its XG350 replacement for several reasons, the most sensible of which is the company considers this an all-new vehicle. (They also mentioned things like “the era of A to Z” and that Azera evokes the French word azure or blue, as in the color of blue skies in Hyundai’s optimistic view of the future. Whatever.)

Regardless of the name, the Azera due in dealerships this fall should provide a substantial value, especially if pricing holds in the $25,000-to-$30,000 range. Don’t look for stickers to rise past the $30K mark, because as one company official said, “We’re not sure the market is ready for a $30,000 Hyundai.”

“Azera will earn distinction for segment-leading standard safety features, refined styling, and content that is generally reserved for higher-priced luxury sedans,” assured Robert F. Cosmai, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America. Don’t be surprised if Azera delivers on Cosmai’s promise.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102088
Old 03-30-2005, 08:54 AM
mayonaise

What the hell is "the era of A to Z"? :screwy: i thought japanese engrish was bad.. this is on a completely different level! they probably thought up some random combination of letters, came up with some retarded explanation for it, then scoured a bunch of foreign dictionaries for a word that looked like "azera," so that their random-ass name could "evoke" something. korean car names are almost worse than buick's
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 AM
JGordon

Originally Posted by mayonaise
korean car names are almost worse than buick's
No, I think Azera is significantly better than the dairy-farming/cheese-producing Buick Lucerne.

I think this Hyundai looks pretty good overall (certainly better than any of their other sedans ever have), though I agree that the tails look a little off.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, azera sounds quite... luxurious.... just say it a-zare-uh
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

Originally Posted by DRfrank
actually, azera sounds quite... luxurious.... just say it a-zare-uh
Until you slap "HYUNDAI" on the front of it. But nevertheless they've done a great job of increasing reliability and quality. Heck... if i was an average suburbanite father of 2.5 kids and needed a grocery getter... i'd buy it
Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Hyundai's preview site is up, it has some more detailed pics and info.

http://www.hyundaiazera.com/

Hyundai is doing a lot to hype up the car's safety features along with offering a bunch of equipment which in ther words, is "typically found on luxury cars costing thousands of dollars more." Here's a list of notable standard equipment.

Safety
  • Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
  • Traction Control (TCS)
  • Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
  • Dual front airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact airbags, side-curtain airbags for rear-outboard occupants
  • Active head restraints
Comfort & Convenience
  • Projector-beam headlights with automatic on-off operation
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • LED taillights
  • Remote keyless entry system with alarm
  • Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel with audio controls
  • Power-adjustable pedals
  • Power rear sunshade
  • Dual-zone automatic climate control system with smog-sensing recirculation mode
  • Infinity premium audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 10 speakers, 315 watt digital amplifier, and speed compensating volume control