Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

New Japanese Odyssey Officially Revealed

Old 10-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 04 Acura TSX
I like the hinged doors more than sliding doors on vans. Honda needs to bring this version Odyssey back to North America.

They got something worth buying for the whole family.:thumbup:
i like sliding doors on vans because otherwise the damn little kids smack up my car doors in the parking lot.

that interior is incredible, its a shame they don't bring stuff like that over here
Old 10-18-2003, 04:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Hmm. With the leather/birdseye maple interior that could be passed off as an Acura. Call it something with DX in the name to go in with the MDX, really hype up the awd option--maybe even drop fwd--and that could probably find a nice slice of the market to hang out in.

It won't happen though because the first gen Odyssey which was the same as the JDM version sold like crap because it wasn't actually much of a minivan.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:34 PM
95AccordV6

It looks very good. It seems big enough to be a minivan in the U.S. market. Probably Honda wants to combine JDM Odyssey and USDM Odyssey together again.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:44 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally posted by mayonaise
anything is better than the new quest
well said :thumbup:
"it has four sunroofs!"
who cares, the rest of it is fugly
Old 10-18-2003, 06:02 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 95AccordV6
It looks very good. It seems big enough to be a minivan in the U.S. market. Probably Honda wants to combine JDM Odyssey and USDM Odyssey together again.
No it isn't big enough to be Honda's only minivan, and I have no idea WTF you're talking about with the second statement.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:28 PM
yianni64

Very nice. I hope our US version shares a lot of the design. Especially the interior. It is very modern without being wierd like the Quest.

I could also see this slipping into Acura's lineup, becuase it does share some exterior and interior design aspects. Then again, does Acura need a minivan? I dont really think so. They can worry about this after they introduce a new RL.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

This is smaller than all the minivans in the USA. Think back to the original Odyssey. That's what size this is. The vehicle sold here as the Odyssey has nothing in common with the vehicle sold in Japan as the Odyssey.

Kind of like how the vehicle sold here as the Accord has nothing to do with the vehicle sold in Japan as the Accord. The USDM Accord is called the Inspire in Japan, and the JDM Accord is sold in the USA as the Acura TSX.

Similarly, the USDM Odyssey is called the LaGreat in Japan.

Hence the JDM Odyssey could be branded as some kind of Acura crossover since it is not the size and shape that Americans think of as a minivan. BUT IT COULD NOT CROSS THE POND AS A HONDA ODYSSEY SINCE IT HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THE VEHICLE SOLD HERE AS THE ODYSSEY.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Troopa-R

Originally posted by yianni64
Then again, does Acura need a minivan? I dont really think so. They can worry about this after they introduce a new RL.
I could see them, with some styling changes, marketing this as a TL-level Crossover. I mean, we have Toyota marketing idiots trying to convince us that the Matrix isn't a wagon but some strange SUV crossover, why not Honda?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Yes, it is common knowledge. The US Odyssey is the Japanese LaGreat. The Japanese Odyssey isn't sold over here.

That car has a REALLY nice interior. I think that could sell well as a niche vehicle here...say, 15-20k a year.
:werd:
Old 10-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by Troopa-R
I I mean, we have Toyota marketing idiots trying to convince us that the Matrix isn't a wagon but some strange SUV crossover, why not Honda?
wtf are u talking about? How is the Matrix not an SUV crossover/hatchback? Its not a "car"... and not an "SUV" ... it IS a cross..... wagon = same thing...... so it should be marketed as such. Same thing applies with the new Infinity, Element, xB, etc... they dont call them "wagons"... they are all "weird".