Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

New Japanese Odyssey Officially Revealed

Old 10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
harshfellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who says they failed? Elements are selling well. Do you think that the only way 16-28 yr olds can get a car is to buy it themselves? Many parents buy it for them, which increases the average transaction age but does not reflect who's actually driving these cars.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Troopa-R

Originally posted by harshfellow
Who says they failed? Elements are selling well. Do you think that the only way 16-28 yr olds can get a car is to buy it themselves? Many parents buy it for them, which increases the average transaction age but does not reflect who's actually driving these cars.
While I agree that both Honda and Toyota's age #'s are being distorted by the number of parents buying cars for their kids, I don't think that's the case with the Element. Every Element I've seen on the road, without exception, has been driven my middle-aged/older women who likely are using it as a cheap SUV/minivan, almost like a poor man's Odyssey.

Yes, the Element has a Jpop cuteness to it, but young people aren't being drawn to it.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
harshfellow

the only reason I counter that is because I own one myself and happen to be 21. My university has a few of them running around and most of the ones I've seen around my city have been driven by young guys.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 AM
AcuraFanatic

I'd rock it.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Honda's sleek Japanese-market Odyssey drops jaws

By JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News

TOKYO -- The new Japan-market Odyssey minivan created more buzz at this year's Tokyo Motor Show than any of the concepts on display. The vehicle drew such widespread applause that Thomas Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co. Inc., was hinting that he might have to find a spot for it in the U.S. lineup. There are no plans for it to be exported to North America and, despite the name, it has no connection to Honda's U.S.-market Odyssey.

Show goers were amazed by the model's markedly low stance. The roof has been dropped 3 inches from the already low-slung previous-generation model, but interior space was kept the same by lowering the floor, too. The result looks so sleek that first-time viewers could not believe that it was not longer than the previous Odyssey. It isn't.

Unlike the outgoing model, the new Odyssey offers only a 160-hp, 2.4-liter inline-four. Rather than offer an optional V-6 as it did with the previous-generation Odyssey, Honda instead will introduce a bigger minivan next year that will be powered by a standard V-6.

As a competitive vehicle, "It scares the heck out of me," one rival carmaker executive said. Nissan Motor Co. Executive Vice President Patrick Pelata said the Odyssey had "the best interior design Honda has ever done."

The low height will be a huge selling point in Japan, with its low-ceilinged parking garages. But Pelata was one of the few who did not immediately endorse the redesign.

"I'm very skeptical of bringing down the eye of the driver in a family car," he said. "There's a true customer benefit to having a higher eye point. You can see better, and your kids can see better. We'll see how customers react."

Original article: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09268867
Old 11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
harshfellow

Don't you love hearing stuff like this? - from Autonews

Honda: Japan new Odyssey orders hit 15,000 in 2 weeks
Reuters / November 06, 2003

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. Ltd. said Thursday that it had received about 15,000 orders for its new Odyssey minivan in the first two weeks of sale in Japan, far outpacing its monthly sales target of 5,000 units.

Honda is counting on the third-generation Odyssey to bolster its sagging Japanese sales, which have been down for most of the year.

Honda is also due to launch another minivan -- the eight-seat ASM -- in Japan in the spring, most likely offering it in both a gasoline-electric hybrid and a conventionally powered version.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 PM
crazydriver27
crazydriver27

Default New Odyssey in Japan

The American version sucks!! but I really like the JDM Odyssey!!

here...

http://www.honda.co.jp/HDTV/ODYSSEY/gallery-ny-making/

This CF was taken in NY.

http://www.honda.co.jp/HDTV/smile-tv/ODYSSEY/

cute japanese girl is introducing the new Odyssey!