Notices

Integra Newbie - And newbie questions.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Spazntwich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Newbie - And newbie questions.

I'm used to a certain other forum in which newbs get flamed pretty badly, so don't worry about hurting my feelings. With that said...

I'm looking to get a car for college. Right now, I'm thinking an integra looks like a car that will be relatively inexpensive to first buy, and then to maintain. It's also decently fast (faster than the vast majority of cars in its price bracket and more reliable than the ones it's slower than), and looks fine stock.

So my questions to you all are as follows:

1. Will a '94-'95 or so year model Integra (GSR , RS, or LS) be as reliable as I'm thinking it will be?

2. Can I get a decent one around that year for $5k if I want a 5-speed and A/C as the only requirements?

3. How much more hp can I get out of the RS/LS engine with intake/headers/exhaust/ECU? How much out of the GS-R?

And I'll close with another apology for being a newbie.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:00 PM
BonzoAPD

First off welcome to HAN.

Now for your questions: Yes an Integra is a great car for some speed, handling and reliability. It also looks great as well.

1. Will a '94-'95 or so year model Integra (GSR , RS, or LS) be as reliable as I'm thinking it will be?

Yes it will be. They are very reliable when taken care of.

2. Can I get a decent one around that year for $5k if I want a 5-speed and A/C as the only requirements?

Yes you can definetly get a 94-95 ls or rs for that price and if your lucky enough you can get a GSR for that price. They all come with a/c. Just look around for a 5-speed. GSR's only come in 5-speed but ls and rs come in either 5-speed of auto.

3. How much more hp can I get out of the RS/LS engine with intake/headers/exhaust/ECU? How much out of the GS-R?

This depends on what setup you have. Most I have seen out of a GSR is 20whp with a comptech i/h/e setup.

And don't alpologize for being a newbie. We were all once newbies. You aksed good questions. Let us know how your search goes. :thumbup:
Old 07-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Daniel

No problems with newbies here!! Welcome indeed! :yay:

1) Any 94-95 submodel Integra with decent mileage and the proper care will be reliable. Look for something in the 80k - 120k mile range that can show you papers, receipts, etc. for maintenance, oil changes, wear and tear parts replacements.

2) $5k is a very reasonable price for an RS or LS. You'll probably have to spend a little bit more for the DOHC VTEC GSR version. I paid 8750 for mine with 91k miles back in '01. Expect to pay around the 7k range.

3) I myself have not complete the trinity of basic modding. I'm still waiting on purchasing an exhaust. Just from fellow enthusiasts who've done those modifications, I'd wager a stab at around 10 HP the the flywheel MAX. I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Anyways, thanks for stopping in, hope to see you around more! :thumbup:
Old 07-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Spazntwich

Originally posted by drumsy
No problems with newbies here!! Welcome indeed! :yay:

1) Any 94-95 submodel Integra with decent mileage and the proper care will be reliable. Look for something in the 80k - 120k mile range that can show you papers, receipts, etc. for maintenance, oil changes, wear and tear parts replacements.

2) $5k is a very reasonable price for an RS or LS. You'll probably have to spend a little bit more for the DOHC VTEC GSR version. I paid 8750 for mine with 91k miles back in '01. Expect to pay around the 7k range.

3) I myself have not complete the trinity of basic modding. I'm still waiting on purchasing an exhaust. Just from fellow enthusiasts who've done those modifications, I'd wager a stab at around 10 HP the the flywheel MAX. I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Anyways, thanks for stopping in, hope to see you around more! :thumbup:
It's nice to not have to put up with an initial round of flaming.

Thanks for answering. You've allayed what small reservations I had about this, so I think I will persue a non-GSR around '94 or '95 then. I'm almost disappointed by the hp #s gained from the basic mods, but at the same time I guess it's nice to know they did a good job on the stock components.

Time to get hunting!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Spazntwich

Originally posted by BonzoAPD
First off welcome to HAN.

Now for your questions: Yes an Integra is a great car for some speed, handling and reliability. It also looks great as well.

Yes it will be. They are very reliable when taken care of.

Yes you can definetly get a 94-95 ls or rs for that price and if your lucky enough you can get a GSR for that price. They all come with a/c. Just look around for a 5-speed. GSR's only come in 5-speed but ls and rs come in either 5-speed of auto.

This depends on what setup you have. Most I have seen out of a GSR is 20whp with a comptech i/h/e setup.

And don't alpologize for being a newbie. We were all once newbies. You aksed good questions. Let us know how your search goes. :thumbup:
Gotta admit I'm not used to 2 useful replies in 10 minutes either. Thanks a ton!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:24 PM
BonzoAPD

Originally posted by Spazntwich
Gotta admit I'm not used to 2 useful replies in 10 minutes either. Thanks a ton!
your welcome. Sometime sreplies take long but when people are on and know the answer they are more than willing to help.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:26 PM
airon
AARONNOJIMA.COM

how about this then
welcome noob

jk

integs are great cars though
Yes, but when getting a car that age it all depends on maintenance. you wanna make sure you get ti fully tested and checked out by a mechanic. maintenance records are great, as well as checking vin numbers via carfax
you can probably find a rs/ls for that price. to find a gsr for that cheap, it will probably be modded, or have some miles on it, or your just a luck SOB

IHE does not do as much as people think. its more of a personal reward, but it does reap some gains. i have seen dynos of boltons add from 2-15hp. also ecu really depends on your other mods, on a stock car its not gonna help much, also depends on what program and setting you chip the ecu with
Old 07-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Spazntwich

OK, I've found a few potential ones I'm going to look at, so I need to now know exactly what to look for in maintence other than 3k mile oil changes.

Are the timing belts on 60k mile change intervals?

After how many miles does the stock clutch usually wear out?

When do the CV shafts usually need to be replaced?

If I do my own compression test, what sort of PSI should I be looking for assuming I'm at sea level?

Are there any specific parts/areas I should look at closely that are common problem areas?

If anyone can answer any or all of these, I will be EXTREMELY indebted to you.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Daniel

OK, I've found a few potential ones I'm going to look at, so I need to now know exactly what to look for in maintence other than 3k mile oil changes.

Are the timing belts on 60k mile change intervals?

After how many miles does the stock clutch usually wear out?

When do the CV shafts usually need to be replaced?

If I do my own compression test, what sort of PSI should I be looking for assuming I'm at sea level?

Are there any specific parts/areas I should look at closely that are common problem areas?

If anyone can answer any or all of these, I will be EXTREMELY indebted to you.
Timing belts are in 90k mile intervals.

If used correctly, my stock clutch carried me well into 100k.

The CV shafts should be replaced when you either hear them clicking or see that the CV boots have deteriorated and grease is leaking out. Typically your outer CV boots will rot before your inner ones do.

For a GSR I'd say 215 PSI +/- 10 PSI off of that is good for all four cylinders. For an LS/RS, I'd say around 190.

Look for water leaks around the hatch area. Your radiator may give out early too with it's plastic end pieces. Aftermarket all aluminum ones are cheaper and will last you longer! :thumbup: Rattling heatshields and failing cayalytic convertors are common as well.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Spazntwich

Originally posted by drumsy
Timing belts are in 90k mile intervals.

If used correctly, my stock clutch carried me well into 100k.

The CV shafts should be replaced when you either hear them clicking or see that the CV boots have deteriorated and grease is leaking out. Typically your outer CV boots will rot before your inner ones do.

For a GSR I'd say 215 PSI +/- 10 PSI off of that is good for all four cylinders. For an LS/RS, I'd say around 190.

Look for water leaks around the hatch area. Your radiator may give out early too with it's plastic end pieces. Aftermarket all aluminum ones are cheaper and will last you longer! :thumbup: Rattling heatshields and failing cayalytic convertors are common as well.
Thank you very, very much.