Notices

Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it's crazy sometimes. I've had to use a torch on a few before. I wonder what Honda puts them on with.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
In school someone had brought in there Honda engine and had to use an impact gun to remove it. It does around 1000ft lbs in reverse and we almost didn't get it off. Its all about the leverage you can get on it. IF it's on a lift you can use a really long breaker bar.

Also, when its in gear you want to in 5th so that the gear reduction isn't working with you.
The problem i had wasn't so much leverage, it was keep that pulley from spinning or having an impact gun with enough juice.

To future searchers, I'd almost just go to a shop and have them it it w/ their impact, then tighten it enough to get home to get off.

Then take it back to the shop and have them hit it tight with their impact gun.

The CSP is like $50+ from what i've seen nowadays... But i've used mine more than i can count.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
kenny8585

UHmm.. Usually some peoples like to heat up the bolt then use air gun to get them out that way. A cheater bar would work too.. Alots of peoples have went throught hell on getting these bolt out. I really hate rusted bolt because those are impossible to break most the times.. I have work on my civic 92 and those bolt seem to be insane to break.. GOOD LORD!!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
dlmcmurr

Originally Posted by FooD2000
4) chain wrench + towl around the pulley and using a breaker, then trying to get it loose.

#4 to be sometimes is a little scary as i don't want to damage the pulley but 1-3 did not get my bolt loose (trust me, i gave it hell).

However, for a lot of people i've seen these methods work and for others like myself... had to get the CSP holder.
The whole reason I started this thread is someone had broken a chunk out of the pulley and my PS belt is wearing prematurely. I suspect they may have done something like the chain wrench, or maybe they just bumped it dropping the engine back into the car.

Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlmcmurr
The whole reason I started this thread is someone had broken a chunk out of the pulley and my PS belt is wearing prematurely. I suspect they may have done something like the chain wrench, or maybe they just bumped it dropping the engine back into the car.

Dave
Wow. They should be balanced because they're a rotating piece.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 AM
joe_kewl81

quite literally just replaced the water pump on my own teg...which of course is run by the timing belt...ended up using a huge 2 inch nut and a 2 inch wrench to hold the crank still along with a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 5 foot breaker bar attached to it and 2 long extensions to get clearance past the body of the car. Its a 2 man job. Shattered the first socket i tried on it...was even an impact socket!...Would recommend not using a chrome socket lol. Regardless the big wrench and massive nut do the trick wonderfully...finding the wrench was easy....finding 2 inch nuts...well lets just say there arent alot of things that top calling around town asking the local parts and farm stores how big their nuts get!!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
stieglman

Default $3 tool

I've replaced timing belts on my integra and my son's civic and used a trick i heard from my snap-on tool guy. buy some high quality nylon cord, (it doesn't need to be very thick, approx. 1/4"). remove your spark plugs to make the engine easy to turn and take any piston down. feed the cord into the cylinder through the spark plug hole until you can't get any more in. BE SURE to leave some hanging out. then turn the crank pullley to seize up the engine and remove the bolt. Use the same procedure to reinstall the bolt and torque it. It's a simple procedure and there's no way it can damage anything internally since the cord also acts as a cushion. sounds simple but it works.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by stieglman
I've replaced timing belts on my integra and my son's civic and used a trick i heard from my snap-on tool guy. buy some high quality nylon cord, (it doesn't need to be very thick, approx. 1/4"). remove your spark plugs to make the engine easy to turn and take any piston down. feed the cord into the cylinder through the spark plug hole until you can't get any more in. BE SURE to leave some hanging out. then turn the crank pullley to seize up the engine and remove the bolt. Use the same procedure to reinstall the bolt and torque it. It's a simple procedure and there's no way it can damage anything internally since the cord also acts as a cushion. sounds simple but it works.
while it sounds fool proof, things CAN still go wrong.

matco sells a brass pin that threads into the spark plug hole that does the same thing
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since I bought the crank pulley tool from Amazon, it takes me about 30 seconds to remove countless crank
pulleys bolts using either an impact or a 1/2" breaker bar all by myself.