Notices

synthetic oil vs regular oil

Old 12-10-2002, 09:34 AM
BonzoAPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil vs regular oil

which is better for my GSR and why? Is there really a big difference between synthetic and regular oil?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:35 AM
reno96teg

there is a big difference, yes.

since your GS-R is still new, i would recommend using synthetic. there are stories that high milage engines tend to leak when they switch to synthetic. don't know if it's true, but i don't want to risk it, which is why i'm still on conventional. but i would much prefer synthetic.

anyway, yes, synthetic protects better. you can go longer between oil changes.. etc etc..

lots of benefits.. tonight i'll try to go into more detail if someone doesn't go first (busy at work)..
Old 12-10-2002, 10:42 AM
BonzoAPD

thanks Reno. Specifics would be great if you or someone else can post them later on.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:09 AM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are already using synthetic, DO NOT switch back to regular. I've heard some bad stories after going back to the basic stuff. If you are running regular and have been for the car's lifespan, you might as well stay with regular if you aren't noticing leaking. No real performance gains come from spending an extra 20-30 bucks.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:35 AM
mrhonda_187

Did Mobil 1 get it's API-SL rating yet? Otherwise I wouldn't even think about it.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:07 PM
jclau00

Originally posted by reno96teg
since your GS-R is still new, i would recommend using synthetic. there are stories that high milage engines tend to leak when they switch to synthetic. don't know if it's true, but i don't want to risk it, which is why i'm still on conventional.
i heard about this also. however, it does not happen everytime. this is the reason that i heard. old engines have worn rings. the petroleum oil "clogs" up the holes with deposits. switching to synthetic will clean out these deposits.

but i think this is the exception rather than rule. it's just that people will voice their problems if something goes wrong. but people who have had relative success by the switch won't say a word.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:13 PM
jclau00

synthetics are less prone to breakdown, better flow at all temperatures, and better heat tolerance.

there are many synthetics out there that aren't "true" synthetics. something to do with the basestock. i dunno. maybe reno can explain. but castrol and mobil 1 are NOT true synthetics. amsoil, royal purple, and neo are. some popular brands that are also "true" include valvoline synpower and chevron supreme syn.

i bought some book called the motor oil bible. it explains a lot, but i'm too lazy to read. but if you have a specific question, i can probably look it up. the smart bastards that wrote this e-book disabled copying & pasting. :fawk: