Notices

New to the site, question bout motor build

Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Naked_Carrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site, question bout motor build

Ok, Im new to the site and honestly I dont know much about hondas or acuras. I recently bought a 92 teg with some problems. My friend is currently fixing the problems. Which include putting a new head on (timing belt broke and bent a valve) but my main question is, im wanting to go drag/street with this car, no show, all go. It has the b18 in it and im wondering if i should go with a vtec head or if i could build something mean with a non vtec b18 head. my friend who is working on the car says theres not much difference with vtec and non vtec when you turbo the car, but im wanting other peoples opinion. should i go wiht a b16vtec or b18 vtec head, or just get another b18 nonvtec head and work on it. thanks, any other opinions or help about the car would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by Naked_Carrot
Ok, Im new to the site and honestly I dont know much about hondas or acuras. I recently bought a 92 teg with some problems. My friend is currently fixing the problems. Which include putting a new head on (timing belt broke and bent a valve) but my main question is, im wanting to go drag/street with this car, no show, all go. It has the b18 in it and im wondering if i should go with a vtec head or if i could build something mean with a non vtec b18 head. my friend who is working on the car says theres not much difference with vtec and non vtec when you turbo the car, but im wanting other peoples opinion. should i go wiht a b16vtec or b18 vtec head, or just get another b18 nonvtec head and work on it. thanks, any other opinions or help about the car would be greatly appreciated
Members of this community do not support street racing, under any circumstance. It's not worth the risk.

That being said, Welcome to HAN!

You should establish a power goal, and budget before you start buying parts. The vtec head will always offer an advantage, on an NA and Boosted engines. The GSR P-72 head will flow slightly better than B16 PR-3, but you won't really notice a difference until you are making some seroius power. Your best option is probably whichever you can find cheaper. Keep in mind that there will be a difference in compression between the two.

If you plan to go with forced induction, the best place to start on an engine of that age, is probably a full rebuild. A set of forged pistons & rods, bore & hone, bearings, pumps, gaskets, and a vtec head will handle a reliable 400 whp.

It is also possible to boost a stock LS motor, but you probably won't see much over 250 whp. Do a compression check first though!

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Naked_Carrot

thank you, for the help. right now the goal was to get the car started, which will be done in a few days. to go high boost i was planning on a full rebuild but i just didnt know what type head i should go with. im leaning towards the b18 non vtec head but completely rebuilding it. i just didnt know if it could be as powerful as a vtec head
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Welcome.

A vtec head is always going to be better than a non vtec head. Besides flowing better, they have much better aftermarket support which means much broader cam and manifold options.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Naked_Carrot

ok i have figured out what im doing for my teg. ima going to get a non vtech head strip it down, put new cams, valves, springs, have it cnc p+p, just pretty much completely rebuild it. im going to have my friend replace the rods pistons and rings. we are then going to build a turbo kit and hopefully the motor will handle the boost. any ideas what i could run parts wise and boost wise people????