Notices

Used Block

Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Block

Ok so I stumbled accross a guy with a blown up b18c1 with no cams. He wants 600 for it and i'm not sure what condition it's in yet, but I wanted to go ahead and get some feedback on if it was worth it b/c I want to take 2 motors and make one for now while I take the spare block left over and build it the right way so I minimize downtime. Also just a curiousity each cylinder sleeve can be replaced seperately correct?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Find out how it was blown. If a rod was ejected from the block, it is trash. If a sleeve cracked, you will have to have it resleeved with aftermarket sleeves. The OEM sleeves are not replaceable since they are part of the casting of the block.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

it spun a rod bearing i found out. Went to look at it today it's in decent shape, it sucks he wont part with the cams too cuz he's got ITR cams. so what all would i need to do to properly fix it. Not trying to build at this particular junction.

also looking for good places to get a gasket set and other parts needed

Last edited by WiseGuyOnCouch; 09-12-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'd be a decent tear down project. sounds like he pushed the rods past their limits.

If you aren't looking to build the engine I'd say screw it though, because a proper tear down is the only way to fix this, and on top of that it's pretty stupid to tear it apart just to replace everything with cheap parts.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

no it's not stupid it's required b/c my whole goal here is to keep my daily driver on the road(minimal down time) and end up with a spare block to actually do a real build to. i'm just trying to make a running motor that wont crap out on me for about a year or so... i just need to make it out of school b4 i can afford the rest of my turbo build(forged internals in other words)

basically i want ideas of anything else I should pay attention to while i'm in there not whether or not i should do it. b/c i just need a stock motor for now

also, assuming, my crank and rods are good(in my car right now), would i be able to transplant them with new bearings and such without having the crank turned and such?

Last edited by WiseGuyOnCouch; 09-12-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WiseGuyOnCouch
no it's not stupid it's required b/c my whole goal here is to keep my daily driver on the road(minimal down time) and end up with a spare block to actually do a real build to. i'm just trying to make a running motor that wont crap out on me for about a year or so... i just need to make it out of school b4 i can afford the rest of my turbo build(forged internals in other words)

basically i want ideas of anything else I should pay attention to while i'm in there not whether or not i should do it. b/c i just need a stock motor for now

also, assuming, my crank and rods are good(in my car right now), would i be able to transplant them with new bearings and such without having the crank turned and such?
So whats wrong with your current engine?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
2001TEGGSR

As Sherwood said, what is wrong with the engine in your car now?

If it spun a rod bearing, then you can consider the Rods and Crank trash. You should never reuse a rod, or crankshaft that spun a bearing. Even if it is micro polished, chances are it will happen again. Honda crankshafts are forged and if you grind, or turn a forged crankshaft you will loose most of its durability.

Assuming you have a GSR, and the new block doesn't need a bore, your internals can be swapped over. You will still need to replace the bearings, rings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, all gaskets, seals, etc. And it makes sense to have the flywheel resurfaced and get a new clutch. So consider a few thousand dollars in the end.

If you plan on turbo charging your car at some point, it makes more sense to buy forged pistons & rods now and just rebuild everything else to OEM spec. It will only cost you an additional $500-$700.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

my current engine has fried the piston rings(for sure, not too sure about the pistons themselves, so my block will need a bore) and i'm not to sure about the valvetrain. i figured that was the case with trying to turn the crankshaft(about it not being worth the trouble) cuz I thought i remembered reading that once before. basically i'm going to try and take my rods and crank and transplant them into the other motor b/c the pistons and head are fine in it where as mine are not. like i said i'm just trying to get a motor that will last another year till i'm completely done with school b/c my current engine is not going to make it that far.

as for the engine build, it is NOT an option right now, so stop trying to explain to me the ability to do that for just a little bit more money that I don't have. A STOCK MOTOR IS THE GOAL RIGHT NOW (yes i understand it is practically pointless, but given my current situation it's the only option i have, plus at the end of everything i'll have a stock motor still left over). i'm simply trying to make one motor out of two and have the other left over as a base to play with. Yes it's a very shade tree style idea, but it's what i have to do for now to get to where i need to be

Last edited by WiseGuyOnCouch; 09-12-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by WiseGuyOnCouch
as for the engine build, it is NOT an option right now, so stop trying to explain to me the ability to do that for just a little bit more money that I don't have. A STOCK MOTOR IS THE GOAL RIGHT NOW (yes i understand it is practically pointless, but given my current situation it's the only option i have, plus at the end of everything i'll have a stock motor still left over). i'm simply trying to make one motor out of two and have the other left over as a base to play with. Yes it's a very shade tree style idea, but it's what i have to do for now to get to where i need to be
I understood your idea completely, and a stock motor is not pointless. I was just trying to make you aware of the additional cost, regardless of what parts you already have. So you have a good head, crank and rods. It will cost money to have a machine shop press the wristpins out of your pistons, and transplant them onto the donor rods. You cannot reuse the old gaskets, or bearings. And I wouldn't even think about using the old oil pump as a failure would destroy everything you've done.

Given the amount of labor involved with what your trying to accomplish, it makes absolutely no sense to try and do this without spending additional money for piece of mind. At the very least, its going to cost you near 1k.

AND - Stop trying to convince you? Chill... I was just offering advice, not trying to force you. Its your car, and there is absolutely nothing wrong wit building a stock motor. Sorry for trying to help.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It will take a lot longer and be way more expensive to pull the engine, remove the crank, resize the bearings, freshen all the seals and drop it back in than it will to hone the bores and replace the piston rings.

But whatever, it seems you have made your mind up before you even started the thread, so do whatever you want since you are obviously too stubborn to listen.