Notices

Legal Cat or California Dreamin'

Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 AM
95GSRGuy
Kittenpurr Banshee scream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Cat or California Dreamin'

I've been all through the FAQ's, read 'em twice, and I still can't find a clear answer to this question.

First some background. I'm in California and have two Integras in the family, an LS and a GSR. The LS sounds like it has an exhaust leak, so I dreamed up this plan. Swap the factory cat-back from the GSR to the LS and go aftermarket for the GSR. I'm thinking something very civilized like an Apexi WS2, RS-R ExMag or Greddy Evo II. I know these choices have been discussed at great length, but I would still welcome any fresh comments. One of these systems should be a nice match for the DC Sports 4-1 header already on the car.

Which brings me to my question.... The stock cat would seem like an obvious candidate for replacement at this point. Unfortunately, with all the discussion on the subject, I haven't found a clear answer as to whether this is California smog-legal. The GSR is a '95, so it's subject to OBD1 standards. I know that the Carsound website claims that it's cats comply to CARB requirements, but I haven't been able to confirm this on the CARB website, as relating specifically to the '95 Integra.

Any words of wisdom out there?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM
1turbodc2
got boost?

why do u need to replace the cat?

second with your mods, a stock cat vs. highflow or aftermarket cat will not yield very very minamal gains.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
95GSRGuy

I don't NEED to replace the cat, I'm not even sure it's a good idea. It just seems as though it's a restriction in an otherwise free-flowing system, something that keeps the system from reaching full potential.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by 95GSRGuy
I don't NEED to replace the cat, I'm not even sure it's a good idea. It just seems as though it's a restriction in an otherwise free-flowing system, something that keeps the system from reaching full potential.
The OEM cat is not an obstruction at or near stock power level.
There are zero CARB-legal catalytic converters that are true "high-flow".

Swap the OEM cat-back exhausts if you want to... but keep the OEM catalytic converters installed.
It isn't worth your time and expense to replace them.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM
95GSRGuy

Thanks, Dave. That's good information and it answers my question.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Thanks, Dave. That's good information and it answers my question.
No problem.

As I'm sure you know, it's a titanic PITA to get through smog with an OBD2 car.
I barely passed on CO back in 05, so I'm bracing myself for a $500 hit this year. :squint:

We should find a better thread for that catalytic converter ordeal. h:
Assuming I have to replace my cat this year, I'll post up a first-hand account.

Welcome to the board, by the way. :cheers:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
95GSRGuy

Thanks again. This can be a real problem for us California folks, so a dedicated thread could be a good idea. I received a notice from Acura in the last year stating that, for 1995, 1996 and 1997 vehicles, there is a technical problem with the OBD that causes it not to comply with Federal and California regulations. As part of an agreement with the EPA, Acura will inspect, repair or replace all components of the emissions control system that need it, free of charge. In addition, they will replace the spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, and change the oil and filter, all free of charge. This offer is good for 14 years from the day the vehicle was first sold, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Thanks again. This can be a real problem for us California folks, so a dedicated thread could be a good idea. I received a notice from Acura in the last year stating that, for 1995, 1996 and 1997 vehicles, there is a technical problem with the OBD that causes it not to comply with Federal and California regulations. As part of an agreement with the EPA, Acura will inspect, repair or replace all components of the emissions control system that need it, free of charge. In addition, they will replace the spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, and change the oil and filter, all free of charge. This offer is good for 14 years from the day the vehicle was first sold, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Yep.. I've got my copy of that letter on file.

It'd be lovely if I can get a new catalytic converter under warranty. :eek5:
I've got four years and about 35,000 miles left. :x:

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Turbo95Teg
We Bawlinnnnn

Before owning my teg (which due to the moron who owed it before me, was deemed a damned gross polluter.. yikes...), I had a 93 EG Civic in which I replaced the stock cat with a "high-flow". Passed California smog like a charm. I'm hoping that my teg will pass now (the stock cat was punched completely clean. I was at a 2000% level on my nox output haha) that I've gone to the same place and replaced the exhaust system with the same type. Wish me luck guys, otherwise I'll have a warrant in about 2 weeks! lol
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 AM
CappyKD

I just put a direct fit Magnaflow ODBII High flow cat on my 97 GSR and it fit perfect, cost $160 and made my car go from a Gross Polluter to Passed! Well worth it!