Notices

Legal Cat or California Dreamin'

Old 04-26-2007, 07:21 AM
95GSRGuy
Kittenpurr Banshee scream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CappyKD
I just put a direct fit Magnaflow ODBII High flow cat on my 97 GSR and it fit perfect, cost $160 and made my car go from a Gross Polluter to Passed! Well worth it!
Glad you passed! This topic seems to come down to just the luck of the draw as far as passing visual. As Dave mentions above, there are zero CARB-legal aftermarket cats.

The good news, at least for many of us, is that the OEM cat is not a restriction at or near stock power level. Dave also mentions this, and I've re-confirmed from another source that the factory unit actually flows quite well and should last a very long time. I think the only problem is when you need a 2 1/2" or 3" exhaust for more serious power mods.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
CappyKD

Originally Posted by 95GSRGuy
Glad you passed! This topic seems to come down to just the luck of the draw as far as passing visual. As Dave mentions above, there are zero CARB-legal aftermarket cats.

The good news, at least for many of us, is that the OEM cat is not a restriction at or near stock power level. Dave also mentions this, and I've re-confirmed from another source that the factory unit actually flows quite well and should last a very long time. I think the only problem is when you need a 2 1/2" or 3" exhaust for more serious power mods.
Don't know how you'd fail the visual. It has heat shields on it and looks just like any cat.. it's not like the Random Tech ones that don't have shielding and look different from stock..
Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
CappyKD

Actually there are aftermarket carb legal cats... But only for ODBI not ODBII
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
95GSRGuy

Originally Posted by CappyKD
Actually there are aftermarket carb legal cats... But only for ODBI not ODBII
Since I'm OBD1, I might be interested. Can you find them in the Exemption Order Database?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:17 PM
CappyKD

Since I'm OBD1, I might be interested. Can you find them in the Exemption Order Database?
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/s...27&cat=Integra
Old 04-27-2007, 06:58 AM
95GSRGuy

I'm wondering why I can't find this unit in the CARB Exemption Order Database Query in our FAQ / Aftermarket Tech section? It could be that I'm not searching properly, but I don't totally trust what the manufacturers say.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'm wondering why I can't find this unit in the CARB Exemption Order Database Query in our FAQ / Aftermarket Tech section? It could be that I'm not searching properly, but I don't totally trust what the manufacturers say.
It's a good thing that you're cynical about this, but OTOH you have an OBDI car, which makes things easier.

Run an ARB search by manufacturer under the category "NON OBDII CATALYTIC CONVERTER". You will see that the standards are somewhat more relaxed compared to the OBDII catalytic converters. For CarSound, the ARB listing basically says "Consult the manufacturer's catalog."

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

just to add another voice of reason to this....my brother passed the sniffer and visual of his smog with a jdm itr 4-1 with heatshields, 2.5'' carsound cat and exhaust.

it varies widely depending on the shop you take it too. some are more stringent than others.