Notices

major antifreeze leak

Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
gta4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major antifreeze leak

welll, just last night while i was driving home i noticed my car was making what sounds kind of like a bubbling sound coming from the engine compartmentt so when i looked under i noticed that i had a huge antifreeze leak, so i stopped off immediately and bought some antifreeze to put in, and while i was adding it, it was just coming right out, so im wondering if its more likely to be a hose or possibly my water pump? also what could be making the bubbling noise that im hearing? any opinions? thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 AM
bnuk

should be pretty obvious if its bad but the most common problem is the plastic ends radiator develop cracks that open up under heat/pressure.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:19 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Originally Posted by bnuk
should be pretty obvious if its bad but the most common problem is the plastic ends radiator develop cracks that open up under heat/pressure.
Copy that. I'm on my second radiator.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 AM
gta4life

how would it be obvious if the water pump was bad? and if it is the water pump how much is that to fix? i know the timing belt is a pain in the A$$ so i assume the water pump is a big job to?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 AM
fjm1
G35

you need to find out where it is leaking from.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gta4life
how would it be obvious if the water pump was bad? and if it is the water pump how much is that to fix? i know the timing belt is a pain in the A$$ so i assume the water pump is a big job to?
If you cannot pinpoint where the leak is coming from, you can take it to a repair shop and ask them to do a simple radiator pressure test, you should be able to watch. I have one of these testers, it always comes in handy. Changing the water pump requires removal of the timing belt, so its just like doing a complete timing belt job.

I don't know of an easy way to tell if your water pump has gone bad, but i don't think coolant would be gushing out. Also, the water pump is on the timing belt side- look under the car- where is the coolant coming from? Tranny side or timing belt side?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
gta4life

heyy yahh its coming from the timing belt sidee, and yahh me and my dad tried putting in more antifreeze and it just starts coming out right away, we cant exactly pinpoint it yet all we know is its on the timing belt side at this time
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
bnuk

sounds like a real pain in the ass... I guess your next step will be to take off the valve cover so you can get the timing belt cover off then replace he valve cover and plugs and start it up and [carefully] see where the leak is.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:25 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

Your water pump is no good for sure if it is coming from the timing belt side. No need to tear it apart to see. Bubbling noise usually means you have air in the system due to the leak.