Notices

Ah fudge! Burning Oil?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 AM
2001TEGGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Well dry compression is good, its at 220 +- 1 on all 4. However I still see oil on spark plug for cylinder #1... Weird... Can't figure out why. Anyone got any suggestions?
You still didn't get a leakdown test, did you? Until you do, no way to tell for sure. But your compression sounds good, so I would go with valve stem seals. Might just have one that was either defective, or never "snapped" correctly after the head was rebuilt.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 PM
95LSv
Banded

damn, the valve stem seal would suck to have to change, that would require me to tear the motor apart again ... I'll have the leakdown done and then I'll go from there, maybe while I have it apart I'll do internals on the block this time
Old 01-20-2007, 01:29 PM
2001TEGGSR

damn, the valve stem seal would suck to have to change, that would require me to tear the motor apart again ... I'll have the leakdown done and then I'll go from there, maybe while I have it apart I'll do internals on the block this time
You can replace the stem seals without removing the cylinder head. Just use an air fitting and pressurize the respective cylinder. An Air fitting probably came with your compression tester.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:37 PM
95LSv
Banded

Yes I have an air fitting... So I would have to pressurize the cylinder so when the valve springs are removed the valve will not fall in, correct? That sounds doable, but wouldn't I need something more like a leakdown tester, that allows you to regulate how much psi is put into the cylinder?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 PM
2001TEGGSR

Yes I have an air fitting... So I would have to pressurize the cylinder so when the valve springs are removed the valve will not fall in, correct? That sounds doable, but wouldn't I need something more like a leakdown tester, that allows you to regulate how much psi is put into the cylinder?
No you only need to apply enough pressure to keep the valves from falling. No leakdown tester needed. Theres other methods, like stuffing a rope in there, but I recomend pressurizing if possible.