Notices

difference between JDM itr and USDM

Old 10-18-2006, 06:05 AM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g2_teg_na
i dont have a gsr anymore. i sold my gsr. i have to make a choice between a JDM ITR and JDM GSR. I'm really not trying to spend $2000 on a GSR long block and then just tear it completely apart to changeout the pistons. i can get a usdm type r transmission for around $1360 which will bring my total to $3360 (for a jdm gsr long block with usdm itr transmission) which is still $13-- less then the itr. But i wont have the power i want. If i got a GSR I would have to change the pistons to some CTR pistons and use my mugen head gasket and get about 12.3:1 compression. and i could use my omni power valve train to get some nicer cams. but by the time i spend all that, i could have just gotten an ITR motor. a GSR long block costs $2000. i do not want to buy a GSR block for $2000 and then rip it apart. It doesnt seem like it makes sense.
thanks for clearing it up a bit. so will you go with the type-r motor then. i am a bit curious to what you are going to do. I'm happy with my JDM Type-R motor and all i want is another 20WHP and ill be satisfied. what kind of power are you looking to make if you choose the Type-R motor.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
2001TEGGSR

Using a thin gasket is a horrible way of increasing compression.

You could easily reach your goal going FI. And if you do decide to go FI, use the GSR motor. Theres people on this board runnining turbokits with just under 290 WHP, on stock internals. A Properly tuned engine can be just as reliable as OEM. With forged pistons and rods, you could make 400whp.

You will spend alot more trying to acomplish your goal NA, although it is possible. Budget around $8K, including the cost of the B18C5.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i would justify buying witht he type-r name is the LSD. thats it. not the tranny. not the engine. nothing else.

if you want to have power you will have to go F/I, otherwise you'll just top out with anything at about the type-r's level, possibly surpassing it by only a few, maybe 10-20 horse with some work and race fuel.

and don't act as if turbo's dont have bottom end or something, compare the torque curves and you'll probably note less than 10% drop over stock torque in the low end. it's just the power comes on quickly after that, so it's not like you lose anything, it just seems to be less because the way the graph is scaled.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Dulysgsr

AWESOME INFO i NEVER knew that
Old 10-18-2006, 11:46 PM
95LSv
Banded

Well the guy who sold me my 93 civic hatch, stock condition, ITR motor, CAI, 4-1 dc header pulled 13.6 before he blew the thing up . If I were u, I would go with a built gsr motor and turbo h: . But thats just me.

Also would milling the head be a good or bad way to gain compression?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:13 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Also would milling the head be a good or bad way to gain compression?
Yes, this is one of the proper ways. You could also use flat faced valves, or high compression pistons.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 AM
95LSv
Banded

:doh: Lol, can't believe I forgot about flat faced valves. But with milling the head don't you run a higher chance of your piston hitting valves?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by 95LSv
:doh: Lol, can't believe I forgot about flat faced valves. But with milling the head don't you run a higher chance of your piston hitting valves?
dont mill the head too much and clay the motor to see if you have enough clearence afterwards.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
g2_teg_na
^ Visual Learner

Originally Posted by sherwood
the only thing i would justify buying witht he type-r name is the LSD. thats it. not the tranny. not the engine. nothing else.

if you want to have power you will have to go F/I, otherwise you'll just top out with anything at about the type-r's level, possibly surpassing it by only a few, maybe 10-20 horse with some work and race fuel.

and don't act as if turbo's dont have bottom end or something, compare the torque curves and you'll probably note less than 10% drop over stock torque in the low end. it's just the power comes on quickly after that, so it's not like you lose anything, it just seems to be less because the way the graph is scaled.
the difference in price is $1400. I have valvetrain and a mugen 2-layer headgasket that will fit the GSR. What can i do for the extra $1400 to get me faster then a Type-R? BTW, u cannot argue with the gearing of a JDM ITR vs. a GSR. 1/4 mile time is directly related to gearing...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

$1400 can get a nice set of cams and a tuning system. or you can pop in an ats 4.929 fd and itr lsd.