Notices

b16 in integra

Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 PM
DezertMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 in integra

I want to do a motor swap and was wondering if I could use the gen 2 b16a? It seems like a good motor because a 1.6 would be light, it has 170hp, its cheap, and its vtech. Also what else do I need if I purchase a "longblock" from passwordjdm or hmotors? This is the motor I was thinking of...

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30022
Old 07-01-2006, 03:24 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

you should just get a GSR longblock.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:35 PM
DezertMachine

But from what I see the gsr b18c only has 8 more horsepower...and costs and weighs more.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:43 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

(Just as a general note, engine swap questions belong in the Hybrid Forum. )

I assume this B16A would be swapped into a DC Integra?

If so, I would pass on the B16A swap and turbocharge your stock B18B1 instead. The hp numbers on the B16 look attractive, but the powerband is not suited for a relatively heavy car like the DC.

Compared to the B18B1, you gain roughly 20hp but give away 10 lb-ft of torque. And the B16A is ostensibly the same weight as the B18C1, so your weight savings will be negligible. Even with the GSR transmission, you'll be slower than a stock GSR in any contest of roll-on acceleration.

For the $1600 a B16 swap will cost, running in the mid to high 15s is a poor investment IMO.

By comparison, the base GReddy bolt-on turbo kit will produce about 50 hp and 50 lb-ft of torque. At that's at 6 psi with no intercooler. The B16 will make a lovely noise, but torque is what will dominate on the street.

:shrug:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
DezertMachine

So let me make sure I understand....you think it would be best to stick with the b18b and turbo it? Either way I need a new motor...mines kinda fucked up and no one can figure out whats wrong, so Id rather just do a motor swap and pick up some base horsepower while im at it. Another question is...isnt horsepower horsepower?

Last edited by DezertMachine; 07-01-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:04 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by DezertMachine
So let me make sure I understand....you think it would be best to stick with the b18b and turbo it? Either way I need a new motor...mines kinda fucked up and no one can figure out whats wrong, so Id rather just do a motor swap and pick up some base horsepower while im at it. Another question is...isnt horsepower horsepower?
First things first...
How many miles are on your car?
Also, what model of Integra do you own?

Do you know what is specifically wrong with your motor?
Is it consuming oil? Has the head gasket blown?
I would get a grip on the severity of the damage first.

If all you need is a new head gasket, there's little sense in dropping $2000 on a used motor of questionable health.

[The torque vs horsepower issue is an entirely separate issue that I'll adress later.]

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Brar
|:]

vtec*
Old 07-01-2006, 04:18 PM
DezertMachine

Ok...I have a 1995 Integra LS with the B18B. I dont know how many miles anything has on it cause the jackass before me...but at the best its a newer jdm motor with about 60,000 mi, at the worst it has 250,000 miles on it. The motor was fine when I got to it, but the guy had put a gsr interior including dash in and i didnt know the redline was not really 8200(I used to be a desert guy, so I'm new to imports). Anyway it burns oil, sometimes a lot, sometimes none, and last time I changed the spark plugs there was oil everywhere in there. When its cold it has a rough idle, it surges from about 1700-2000 rpm and back and forth. Other than that it runs great, still has power, except in the low end, and sounds clean.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by DezertMachine
Ok...I have a 1995 Integra LS with the B18B. I dont know how many miles anything has on it cause the jackass before me...but at the best its a newer jdm motor with about 60,000 mi, at the worst it has 250,000 miles on it. The motor was fine when I got to it, but the guy had put a gsr interior including dash in and i didnt know the redline was not really 8200(I used to be a desert guy, so I'm new to imports). Anyway it burns oil, sometimes a lot, sometimes none, and last time I changed the spark plugs there was oil everywhere in there. When its cold it has a rough idle, it surges from about 1700-2000 rpm and back and forth. Other than that it runs great, still has power, except in the low end, and sounds clean.
Hmmm. This doesn't sound like a horrendous problem yet.
By the sound of things, I'd bet you've got leaking valve stem seals and possibly a dead IACV.

The rough idle may be nothing more than an Idle Air Control Valve in need of replacement. Try these instructions from the Integra FAQ and see if you can correct the surging idle.

Also, when you pulled the sparkplugs, were the electrodes wet with oil? Or was there dry, soot-like residue? It sounds like the previous owner tinkered around with systems he didn't fully understand.

Since you say the car has a strong mid-range, it ought to still have decent compression. And even with the wrong gauge cluster installed, the LS ECU would still put a stop to the fun at about 6800 rpm.

:thinking:

Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
DezertMachine

The spark plugs themselves were not that oily, it was more where the spark plug threads into the block, and it wasnt residue, it was fresh oil. I know it has good compression cause I did a compression test when I got and it was even across all cylinders. And trust me theres no stopping the fun, he must have taken off the rev limiter cause I've got it above 8000 when i test drove it, and when racing before I knew of the cluster change. And as for the oil burning, thats the 3rd thing I've been told about...I've heard head gasket, pistons, rings, and now the valve stem seals. OO and when i rev up the motor blue smoke and oil shoot out the exhaust.

Last edited by DezertMachine; 07-01-2006 at 07:38 PM.